WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Bridge end cap question

I have a question........I'm making a simple end bar bridge hammock. I remember seeing an old post where the end cap was built into the hammock body- it was a half circle with a drawstring sewn into the edge. - put spreader bars in, cinch up end cap and you are good to go! (Plus the end cap was adjustable so you could use different length spreader bars ). Anyway, i would like to see the original post , to see the dimensions and how the drawstring and channel were sewn into the edge of the bridge. ( I looked, but couldnt find the original post)
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Maybe this one from Grizz?....https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...Endcap-Origami

Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Shug, I sent him that when he was trying my pbh design. I've seen a reference somewhere to a gathered end cap by either hangnout or Teedee.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Hiya Steve!

I think WV has the right idea... if you found something Tee-Dee was the likely culprit. (Though might have been Kitsap Cowboy too)
    Bic (Hiker Dad) did a post or two about how he designs his endcaps with the notch in them to form the endcap.

My end bar bridge started with a double notch, then some pleats, then a double dart. (Though I always mix up dart, pleat, and the various names of these gathers).
    Long story short- no drawcord but it's all a one piece body with a double rolled hem to finish the ends for an integrated end cap.

Anyway... Can't direct you to the posts but since I more or less build different versions of something similar:

There are a dozen different ways to build an endcap.
    But what you need to know here is the depth of the bridge.
    We'll skip how to get that for now....

Take your end bar bridge pattern that we're going to assume is straight cut at the ends.
    Go to the center and then extend the length of your pattern by the depth you want plus an 1" (roughly).
    Use something that can bend a nice clean arc and use the end of the fabric plus the depth you wanted to bend an arc (segment of a circle).

This is not just a 'half circle' although that can work but be sloppy.
    This will create a capital letter 'D' on each end of the bridge.

Your goal then is to put a channel on the curved end of the "D" shape so you can gather it up.

Your friend and mine WV would recommend a piece of edge binding, I'd probably build one of my channels with a button hole in the center. But do what works for you. I did one years back with shock cord tied off to the dogbones (self adjusting) that works pretty good too.

If you're feeling frisky enough.. you can double roll hem the curved ends to build the drawcord channel.

Is it the prettiest thing you've ever seen.. nah. But it does the job if you really want the endcap.
    Most of the time when prototyping most of the folks tend to skip the endcap until they dial things in closer so the fit isn't too sloppy.

If you get super stuck- shoot me an email.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Thanks for all the help guys!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

• + New Posts