Images

Just a day hike, but... Virgil Caine was my name!

AngrySparrow and I went on a dayhike, to a deserted cemetery a couple of miles into the woods from the road. At a long deserted church and cem called Spring Hill. About 6 miles west(as the crow flies) from my house, and then a couple of miles through the wood from the road. I've been there once or twice before over the years. It is always just a little awesome to me, really makes you think. These folks were all buried in the late 1800s to very early 1900s. Most were children or infants. I think the oldest age we saw was 34. There was a Molly Franklin and a Dolly Franklin, one age 18 and the other about age 30, buried close together. All these graves where there was apparently a community and church 100-140 years ago, now totally deserted and long since reclaimed by the woods.

But this is the one that got me, the one I had forgot about.

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=1106
    Robbie Robertson wrote this song, which is about the American Civil War - "Dixie" is a term indicating the old American South, which was defeated by the Union army. The song is not related to his heritage, as Robertson is half-Mohawk Indian, half-Jewish Canadian.
    Robertson came up with the music for this song, and then got the idea for the lyrics when he thought about the saying "The South will rise again," which he heard the first time he visited the American South. This led him to research the Civil War. (thanks, Edna - Madrid, Spain, for above 2)
    This was recorded in Sammy Davis Jr.'s house in Los Angeles. The Band rented it and converted a poolhouse into a studio to record their second album.
    The vocals featured the 3-part harmonies of Levon Helm, Richard Manuel, and Rick Danko.
    Joan Baez covered this in 1971. It was her biggest hit, reaching US #3 and UK #6.
    Baez changed some of the lyrics on her version. For example, she sings, "Virgil Cain is my name and I drove on the Danville train. 'Til so much cavalry came and tore up the tracks again." The original lyrics are, "Virgil Cain is THE name and I SERVED on the Danville train. 'Til STONEMAN'S cavalry came and tore up the tracks again" referring to George Stoneman, who was a general in the Union army). There are several other inconsistencies between her version and The Band's original, including changing the line, "There goes Robert E. Lee" to "There goes THE Robert E. Lee" (which is a boat). (thanks, Geoffrey - Fort Collins, CO)
    Yep, that's what I thought, Virgil Cain. Please note the headstone.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 01-16-2010 at 23:25.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    very cool find BillyBob...
    have you tried to look up anything about any of the ppl buried there?
    i bet there are some good stories linked to that area
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Images
    That is such a strange feeling, at this sad and lonely place. Then to note this as we approach Robert E. Lee's birthday. Charity Cain, born 1888 died 1900, daughter of Virgil and Fannie Cain.

Also, the infant son of Lee and Lucia Brandon, died 1884. It can make one pause and ponder!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlespaul View Post
    very cool find BillyBob...
    have you tried to look up anything about any of the ppl buried there?
    i bet there are some good stories linked to that area
    I have not. I have often meant to get into .. can't think of what you call it? Studying your or others ancestors?

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    i can't think of it either...LOL
    and the sad part is...we can just look it up
    i think it's called Genealogy
    but not sure
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images

Old Graveyards

My best friends and I found ourselves hanging out in an old graveyard nearly every afternoon after school with I was in high school. It was way off a country road and there was a vine to swing on out over the valley. We climbed trees and smokes cigarettes, but mostly just took the time to talk and become real friends. We ever slept out there a time or two. Your story brought back those memories.
    A few years ago most of us met at one or our homes in that town and took a hike back there together. It was quite a memorable hike.
    The photos are shots of the walk back to the graveyard and some inside it. There is an adjoining wood and a creek behind it where we had a lot of good times.
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlespaul View Post
    i can't think of it either...LOL
    and the sad part is...we can just look it up
    i think it's called Genealogy
    but not sure
    Yep, that's the word.

Images
    Thanks Mule! An old graveyard combined with nostalgia! Memorable hike indeed!

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/Doors
    Insulation
    Yeti or JRB Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    One place I hike frequently is Indian Cave State Park in Nebraska. Its located on the site of an historic old settlement on the Missouri River call St. Deroin. There are actually two cemeteries in the park.

The settler's cemetery is located right on the main park road and is well maintained. As I recall, most of the stones are dated in the mid to late 1800's.

There's another cemetery in the park that requires about a half-mile hike through heavily wooded rolling hills along the bank of the Missouri. This cemetery was historically not well maintained and gets only moderate care now (probably because its off the beaten path). This is the "half-breed" cemetery with stones set in the same era.

Apparently the mixed-race Native American / White Americans of the period weren't well liked by either race and so had to have their own distinct cemetery. I still find this a great spot for a contemplative rest-stop whenever I hike the Park. When the leaves are off the trees in late fall and winter you have a lovely view of the Missouri.
    David

The road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with weary feet, Until it joins some larger way, Where many paths and errands meet. And whither then? I cannot say.
    -Frodo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    3-season Hex
    Insulation
    2oz OS Yeti
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    Man that's an incredible find. I love when history comes together like that.
    Hammocks are God's way of saying....."relax guy".

• + New Posts