Hammock
    In a SkeeterBeaterPro...for now

looking for cheap uncoated ripstop

I am looking at getting shell fabrics for a few projects (UQ, TQ, and a Vest) and I am searching for cheap sources for 1.1 or 1.9oz ripstop nylon.

I've been to OWF, Rockywoods, Quest, ect. but everything I've seen is $6+ per yard (OWF seconds are $5), are there any cheaper sources for decent quality ripstop? I've tried the local Walmart, but what they're selling is so thin I don't think it will hold up.

I can get what I'm guessing is 1.9oz DWR? from the local Joanne's for $3.50 per yard with a 50%-off coupon, is that the best deal I'll be able to find?
    A free canoe is better than no canoe.

Hammock
    DIY WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 10x10 Cat cut
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    SClittlefield is selling some to HF members in this thread. Check it out.

Hammock
    DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    Never been a better time to buy. Let Mr. Littlefield know and he'll get you in on the next roll of the cheap good stuff.
    .. truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. - Herman Melville

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    That batch sell ran through 400 yards in a jiffy... I plan to pick up more for another mass selling soon.

Now comes the cutting, packing, labeling, and shipping... 400yds, as it turns out, is a lot of fabric.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    Quote Originally Posted by sclittlefield View Post
    I plan to pick up more for another mass selling soon.
    Sent PM before you posted here, please keep me in mind for 10 yards next time around.

Where are you getting the green 1.1? I would love some white or silver for the inner lining of my TQ. Ideally would like to get some Black 1.1DWR for outer shell and white or silver 1.1 uncoated for the inner shell, but at $2.50 a yard I'm not that picky.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by salmonofdoubt View Post
    I can get what I'm guessing is 1.9oz DWR? from the local Joanne's for $3.50 per yard with a 50%-off coupon, is that the best deal I'll be able to find?
    $3.50/yd isn't bad for 1sts... Check thruhiker.com, owfinc.com, speerhammocks.com

You'll find that nylon ripstop isn't terribly cheap...

My local Walmart has had some 1.1 dwr in silver that would make a good inner for a jacket, or outer for a quilt. Finding WW fabric is totally hit or miss... I had to go to 5 walmarts in the San Diego area to find it. They also had a lot of some thin, forest green that would make a nice inner, but it's not super durable, or water resistant.

I googled and found a source in China for $0.46/meter. something like $200 shipped... but I don't think you need 100M of fabric... (or do you?)

Best of luck!

Hammock
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    I googled and found a source in China for $0.46/meter. something like $200 shipped... but I don't think you need 100M of fabric... (or do you?)

Best of luck!
    Thanks, but I don't know what I'd do with that much fabric. I ordered some of the uncoated 1.1 from sclittlefield that should be here shortly. Between that and some 1.9 DRW ripstop and Anti-piling fleece from Joann's I have what I need for the time being, and my DIY/fabric budget is now gone.

On the plus side, I did eventually find 2 good local sources of ripstop which I shall patronize as soon as my DIY budget recovers. In downtown Columbia there's a shop called House Of Fabric that has 1st quality 1.1 DWR for $5 per yard in a variety of colors. Also found a local Hancock Fabrics chain that carries the same kinds of 1.9 DWR and 1.9 PU-coated ripstop that Joann's had, but in much greater quantities and varieties than Joann's. They were also more helpful, and at $5 per yard, cheaper than the normal price at Joann's.

Thanks for all the replies here, its been very helpful.

• + New Posts