SLD Tree Runner SL
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Arkansas - Anyone with info on River Corridor Trail (Cossatot State Park)?

Does anyone have any info about this place? I'm trying to think of somewhere I can go and try out my new hammock gear where the mosquitoes aren't quite as bad and it looks like this might fit the bill.

I am open to any other hammock friendly places you could recommend within a 4-5 hour drive from Monroe, LA. I am looking at either a one or two night trip depending on where I go, and don't really want to do a ton of hiking, so I would need either a 3-5 mile out and back, or a 12-15 mile loop.

I am thinking of going sometime between May 3 and May 7, and would welcome some company if anyone wants to join me.

Thanks,
    Alkali

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    It's a nice trail. I did it last month and it was pretty clear. There are bridges at all the water crossings, and outhouse facilities at a couple of places along the trail. They ask that you camp in designated areas. I would rate the trail an easy/medium difficulty trail due to some elevation (nothing too tough, but you know your walking up some hills). They have a very nice visitor center at the south end of the trail.

If it was just me, I would park at the visitor center and hike in backward (maybe to Cossatot falls?) If you have the option of two hikers, have one park at each end and shuttle back so you can do the entire 12 miles.

This is one of my favorite trails when I take people that are not accustomed to being "out". The bridges and pit toilets make it a nice place to get away without being too rugged.

If you have any specific questions, I can try and answer them as best I can.

*You may look at the Wild Azalea Trail. It's only about an hour and a half from you. I did it a couple of years ago and it was nice, but I can't say as to how the trail is now. Plus you will probably have to deal with a bit more bugs if you go south).
    Last edited by Caveman; 04-20-2017 at 13:46.
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

Hammock
    SLD Tree Runner SL
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Sounds perfect, thanks for the info!

If it was just me, I would park at the visitor center and hike in backward (maybe to Cossatot falls?)
    This is kinda what I was thinking since I will probably be by myself. How is the fishing? I hear the smallmouth fishing is pretty good on some parts of the river but not sure about this part. What I may do is hike in one afternoon, find a campsite, spend the night and go fishing or take a day hike the next day, then spend another night and hike out on the following day.

You may look at the Wild Azalea Trail
    Yeah I thought about that too but figured the bugs would be just as bad there as they are here.

Thanks again for the info

Best,
    Alkali

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    I can't speak about the fishing... it sounds like you have a pretty solid plan though. Enjoy your trip.
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

Hammock
    SLD Tree Runner SL
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Looks like it is on for this week. I'm going up Thursday or Friday depending on work.

All the rain should be through there on Wednesday and the weather looks to be perfect. Sunny with highs in the 68-72 range and lows in the 46-50 range. After all of the rain we have had the river will probably be too high for any decent fishing so I will probably just chill for a couple of days.

Alkali

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 Double
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly 10x12
    Insulation
    SSTQ, pad under
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopies
    Images
    Alkali,
    How'd your trip go? Never thought about this trail for a backpacking trip - very curious.

Loaf

Hammock
    SLD Tree Runner SL
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Had a great time but it turned into more of a car camping trip than a backpacking trip.

Wasn't able to get up there until Friday so I just went to a campsite and set up.

I did fish a little (no luck) and hiked part of the trail. It was very nice, but I only did an out and back of a couple of miles.

I would love to go back up there and do the whole trail.

• + New Posts