Question about my first hammock.

I will be making in the next month my first DIY hammock. I have and use a couple of brazilian hammocks that I love but thought I would try and make a lighter one to use camping. My question is that on my brazilian hammocks, they have a rope suspsion that is connected to 12 different points on each end of the hammock. It seems to make it so the hammock pulls in different places on the end depending on where you put your weight, almost making pockets but not quite. I was wondering if anyone has tried this with a DIY hammock and if it really makes a difference compared to just gathering the ends. Any thoughts appreciated. I know this would be harder than gathering the ends to make, but if it does make it more comfortable, I don't think it would be that much extra work. Thanks

Hammock
    DIY assym
    Tarp
    Cat analoq
    Images
    I would like to tell you about clear and understendable site where much information about hammock camping is situated/.
    http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCamping.html
    About tips and tricks you could read on that forum.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I tried it once . I'm a big fan of the Brazilian Hammocks; sleep in one every night at home. So, it occurred to me that I should make one better suited to camping. Real PITA is you ask me, You'd better be a good knotsmith if you're going to try. Getting the lengths of line exactly the same length from hammock to ring is enough to make a saint curse. You can imagine the words flowing from my mouth.

After finishing the build I swore I'd never try that again. But, after laying around in it for a while I had an idea that wouldn't let go, so back to the gear room I went. I changed the length of each line, using shorter lengths on the outer lines and progressively longer as the lines worked their way to the center. I used grommets to connect to the hammock.

Attempt #3 (remember I said I'd never do it again after the 1st one. ) had me wanting to do away with the grommets. This was by far the worst build because I tried to do the support lines with a single length of line on each end. I ran a channel in the ends of the fabric with exit ports for the line buttonholed along its length. It made adjusting the lines a lot easier, but I made the mistake of stitching the lines in place within the channel. Was one of the most uncomfortable hammocks I've ever made and I've made some bad ones.

If I try this again, I'll stay with the concept of a single length for the support lines. I won't stitch them in place next time, I'll just leave them 'loose'. My thinking is that the lines will then self-adjust based on your weight distribution. I believe this will result in a very form fitting and comfortable hammock. I'll need to reinforce the bejesus out of the channel to account for the sawing action of the lines as they move, but otherwise I think it will work. Not that I have any plans to try it in the near future.

Hope my experiences help and lots of luck!
    Trust nobody!

Thanks for the input. I've got a couple of brazilians and will try and use them as a template in the way they are connected. I will let you know if it works and take pictures if it does work.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wanderingfarandnear View Post
    I will be making in the next month my first DIY hammock. I have and use a couple of brazilian hammocks that I love but thought I would try and make a lighter one to use camping. My question is that on my brazilian hammocks, they have a rope suspsion that is connected to 12 different points on each end of the hammock. It seems to make it so the hammock pulls in different places on the end depending on where you put your weight, almost making pockets but not quite. I was wondering if anyone has tried this with a DIY hammock and if it really makes a difference compared to just gathering the ends. Any thoughts appreciated. I know this would be harder than gathering the ends to make, but if it does make it more comfortable, I don't think it would be that much extra work. Thanks
    I evaluated my first DIY gathered end hammock thusly: What parts of the fabric aren't providing support or warmth? (These were large areas to the left of my feet and to the right of my shoulders, plus the ends where the fabric gathers.) Then I cut these areas off and replaced them with strings - 130 lb. hollow braid spectra - about 20 strings on each end, each string spliced with a mini-whoopee on one end and a fixed loop on the other. (This was labor-intensive and expensive. Don't do it. But the results were great. Each string is adjustable, so the hammock can be fine-tuned, making it almost as comfortable as a Brazilian or Yucatan hammock, IMHO, and it's lighter. If you want to try something like this, start with a nice long piece of fabric (8 or 9 ft.) and cut off diagonally opposite corners (measure back 2 ft. on the side and cut to the opposite corner) Attach 10 to 12 strings on each end as follows. Reinforce the end by sewing on a 4" strip of stronger fabric folded double to make a tube and run a piece of rope or utility cord through it. Then make holes with a small soldering iron so you can attach your end strings through the fabric around the rope. To save lots of time and money, use nylon or dacron kite line (150 lb. test for safety, less if you're brave/foolhardy [braided masons' line?]), and use taut-line hitches to make the strings adjustable.

-Or-

You may just want to make a gathered end hammock that is extra long (use fabric 62" wide and 11 or 12 feet long. Your questions at the outset suggest that you will do well in this and future projects, but you have made one glaring error:... I don't think it would be that much extra work.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    With folks like Cannibal and yours truly lending advice, how can you lose? Fortunately, Just Jeff tells it like it is.

David

Thanks for your idea. However if in my mind I continue to think it's not much more work, I will try it and when I discover it is a lot more work, I will be too far along to quit. Whereas If I think it is a lot of extra work, I will never try.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I never imagined that it would dissuade you. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

• + New Posts