Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Temp requirements for Top Insulation

I'm curious at what temperature is Top Insulator required/recommended?

I'm also wondering if insulation is required mostly for those that don't use sleeping bags or even if you use one?

Reason I ask is because I usually camp out in 40s and up and wasn't planning on using a top insulation at all. But I will be using a 5 or 20 degree sleeping bag with optional breathable emergency bivy in case.

I'm just curious as with tents there is no top quilt, but I do realize hammocks get more drafts etc.

Hammock
    HyperD 1.6 DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    PolyD 4000 Cat hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies and hooks
    Do you mean an UNDERquilt? Because plenty of folks use a top quilt in tents, a sleeping bag is nearly exclusively top insulation... and a bivy in a hammock? I'm entirely confused here. But around 60 for the masses is the seemingly universal cutoff for needing an uderquilt. You may be able to ditch top insulation around 85 or so. I've pushed no UQ down to about 53 with a 20* TQ. I was chilled but not miserable.
    Cheers,
    The Goat

Hammock
    11' Dutchware Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    LLG TQ/UQ 10*
    Suspension
    Dutchware Whoopies
    I'm confused as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Goat View Post
    Do you mean an UNDERquilt?
    No, top insulation.

You may be able to ditch top insulation around 85 or so
    Wait, you mean top quilt is needed up to 85 degrees? Really? even while in a sleeping bag?

bivy in a hammock?
    Sleeping bag + one of these puppies inside (https://www.amazon.com/Survive-Outdo...dp/B0075ZS0960 = plenty of warmth

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Many folks actually do use Top Quilts in Tents.....or other shelters. But many still use sleeping bags. Same exact functionality out of a top quilt and a sleeping bag. Both insulate you from the cold. But the thing that makes Top quilts better for some is that in a sleeping bag the insulation that you are laying on is compressed and that compression kills the air space which is what's actually keeping you warm. So any insulation that you are laying on does not hold in the heat. For bottom insulation you have your pad.....yes it cushions you but it's made primarily to insulate you from the ground temp.

In a hammock we do things a little differently. In a hammock it's more work to wiggle and squirm into a sleeping bag and get it closed up so Top Quilts make more sense. They are more like a blanket that you flop over you and tuck in around the edges to hold in warmth......but many folks still use a sleeping bag....they are nearly interchangeable just more convince out of a Top Quilt. Then Most use an underquilt on the outside of the hammock (where your body weight is not compressing the insulation under you. So in essence you are surrounded by warm lofty insulation....as if you could float in a sleeping bag....360° of loft rather than just 180 you get from a sleeping bag normally.

There is a really good illustration of this in The Ultimate Hang but I could not find a online photo of the page...If anyone can find that one online and post it it may help the OP see how we use quilts.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by SectionHiker View Post
    Wait, you mean top quilt is needed up to 85 degrees? Really? even while in a sleeping bag?

A sleeping bag is top insulation.
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    Many folks actually do use Top Quilts in Tents.....or other shelters.But many still use sleeping bags.
    Never seen this (but what do I know). Most people I've seen use sleeping bags only.

Same exact functionality out of a top quilt and a sleeping bag. Both insulate you from the cold.
    That's what I'm trying to understand. So what you are saying is Top Quilt in hammock enables you to not use a sleeping bag correct?)

But the thing that makes Top quilts better for some is that in a sleeping bag the insulation that you are laying on is compressed and that compression kills the air space which is what's actually keeping you warm. So any insulation that you are laying on does not hold in the heat. For bottom insulation you have your pad.....yes it cushions you but it's made primarily to insulate you from the ground temp.
    Correct, and Emergency breathable bivy should do a nice job addressing that issue (in theory). I will know soon! hehe. I will also be using insulated air pad. But no plans on under or top quilt (sleeping bag only)

In a hammock we do things a little differently. In a hammock it's more work to wiggle and squirm into a sleeping bag and get it closed up so Top Quilts make more sense. They are more like a blanket that you flop over you and tuck in around the edges to hold in warmth......but many folks still use a sleeping bag....they are nearly interchangeable just more convince out of a Top Quilt. Then Most use an underquilt on the outside of the hammock (where your body weight is not compressing the insulation under you. So in essence you are surrounded by warm lofty insulation....as if you could float in a sleeping bag....360° of loft rather than just 180 you get from a sleeping bag normally.
    Understood. So it's more of a comfort thing and no sleeping bag needed.

I'm just trying to utlize as much of my present gear as needed......hehe

There is a really good illustration of this in The Ultimate Hang but I could not find a online photo of the page...If anyone can find that one online and post it it may help the OP see how we use quilts.
    I've seen that before! I was just curious if Sleeping bags were still used with this set up (and clearly the answer is no).

I will prepare my wallet for the future!

A sleeping bag is top insulation.
    Got it, sorry for miscommunication

Hammock
    11' Dutchware Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    LLG TQ/UQ 10*
    Suspension
    Dutchware Whoopies
    I'm a tenter moving to hammocks. I use my quilt on the ground as well as in the hammock. Only time I would go for a sleeping bag on the ground is below about 25*

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Using the gear you have is a great way to start off. Many and I do mean many folks use a sleeping bag....most will just unzip it and use it like a quilt. That's easier than trying to wiggle into and zip up a bag while in a hammock....lots of folks feel it's a bit more gymnastics than they are wanting to do.

Sleeping bag versus Top quilt is an either or sort of thing....same with Underquilt or pad. Top quilt and underquilt are just easier and maintain more comfort in the hammock than a pad sleeping bag combo.

A bivy will not change the compression and death of insulation under you. You are also more likely to find high condensation and again back to the trouble of wiggling in and out.

Back to your original question though. Most folks need something for under insulation into the 70's and top side to a similar point...even a light fleece blanket or sleeping bag liner helps in and above that range. In a hammock you are more susceptible to Convective cooling....air flow over you aka wind chill and you will feel that cooling even in summer time temps. Your 20° bag can be suitable top side and if your pad is up to it that can work for under insulation to get started. The Under and Top Quilts just work better in most of our opinions. The pad distorts the comfort of the hammock the main reason to switch to a hammock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast