DIY 11 ft
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY various
    Suspension
    straps

Zippered Bugnet? and First Real Hammock

Sew, I've just about finished my thread injecting orgy for the spring/summer/fall season (unless I can think of something else to make involving Tiger Stripes, or Edvard Munch themes, but I digress). Last night I finished up my first real hammock that I plan to camp with in 1.6 oz grey hexon (still need to make whoopies or UCRs and a ridgeline for that...) but again, I digress.

The purpose of this post is to ask for opinions on a bug net.

Last summer I did some hammock camping sans bugnet. I treated my clothes, the hammock, and the tarp (if I recall correctly) with permethrin. I had no problems with skeeters or ticks.

Question 1: With clothes, hammock and tarp treated with permethrin, is a bug net even required? Of course, I've already purchased noseeum with which to make one, so I'm probably gonna do it regardless.

Question 2: Due to old injuries, I have a knee that doesn't like to bend very much. The plans for a zippered bugnet call for a vertical zipper. I'm not sure I can bend my knee enough to get in/out of a bugnet so configured. How much knee-bendage is required? Anyone with similar issues?

Question 3: I've read some threads on HF that talk about unzippered bugnets where the net simply conforms to the shape of the hammock and occupant either due to its own weight, or with the help of some sewn-in pockets into which one can stuff some rocks etc for weight. For those that have this type of net, how do you like it? Advice?

Question 4: More of a statement really. I'm reluctant to really cinch up tight a drawcord closure at the bottom. Old man like me is going to have to venture out several times during the night for nocturnal dehydration episodes (NDE's). Last thing I need is to have to sleepily fumble with said drawcords whilst the urgent siren calls of nature howl in my tortured ears. For the drawcord closure crowd, how's that work out for you? Recommend it?

Bonus Question: I still need to make a ridgeline for the newly made hammock. Fixed length vs. adjustable? If fixed, the new hammock is a bit longer than 11 ft (I left the fabric as shipped - about 12' 1 or 2", and just folded over 2 then 3" on each side for the end channels resulting in about 11' 3" length). Should the ridgeline be 80%? 83%? Other % of the hammock length? If adjustable, can you bury in zing it?

I'll post pics of the new hammock and quilts once I finally get a chance to set up.

mathineer

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mathineer View Post
    Last summer I did some hammock camping sans bugnet. I treated my clothes, the hammock, and the tarp (if I recall correctly) with permethrin. I had no problems with skeeters or ticks.

Question 1: With clothes, hammock and tarp treated with permethrin, is a bug net even required? Of course, I've already purchased noseeum with which to make one, so I'm probably gonna do it regardless.
    If you don't have problems with bugs, you don't need a bug net. I don't want any other creatures with me in the hammock and wouldn't go anywhere without a bug net, that's why I use an integrated hammock.

Question 2: Due to old injuries, I have a knee that doesn't like to bend very much. The plans for a zippered bugnet call for a vertical zipper. I'm not sure I can bend my knee enough to get in/out of a bugnet so configured. How much knee-bendage is required? Anyone with similar issues?
    I have never used a bug net with a vertical zipper and I have no problems with bending my knees, so I can't really help you with that question. But maybe you should look up "Fronkey bug net". It has a bottom entry and should not pose any problems for your knee that you don't already have with a hammock.

Question 3: I've read some threads on HF that talk about unzippered bugnets where the net simply conforms to the shape of the hammock and occupant either due to its own weight, or with the help of some sewn-in pockets into which one can stuff some rocks etc for weight. For those that have this type of net, how do you like it? Advice?
    The Fronkey bug net doesn't have a zipper. The bottom entry is closed with a shock cord. I like it for use at home, because it's roomy and doesn't need to be staked out (like an integrated bug net). But I don't like bug socks for outdoors because they are more fiddly to set up than an integrated hammock, weigh a bit more, and I always manage to pick up a lot of dirt from the ground when setting up. But plenty of people use them outdoors, so it might be me technique.

Question 4: More of a statement really. I'm reluctant to really cinch up tight a drawcord closure at the bottom. Old man like me is going to have to venture out several times during the night for nocturnal dehydration episodes (NDE's). Last thing I need is to have to sleepily fumble with said drawcords whilst the urgent siren calls of nature howl in my tortured ears. For the drawcord closure crowd, how's that work out for you? Recommend it?
    If you're talking about a Fronkey style bug sock, you don't have to cinch up the shock cord a lot. Just enough so that the net doesn't flap once you're in the hammock. I often use it with the shock cord not cinched down, although I don't know if this could be a problem in very buggy conditions. In any case: entry and exit should not be a problem with the shock cord cinched up. After all you're not supposed to cinch it up like you would a stuff sack.

Bonus Question: I still need to make a ridgeline for the newly made hammock. Fixed length vs. adjustable? If fixed, the new hammock is a bit longer than 11 ft (I left the fabric as shipped - about 12' 1 or 2", and just folded over 2 then 3" on each side for the end channels resulting in about 11' 3" length). Should the ridgeline be 80%? 83%? Other % of the hammock length? If adjustable, can you bury in zing it?
    Since every hammock is different, I usually use an adjustable ridgeline first. When I have found the perfect length, I sometimes exchange the adjustable for a fixed length ridgeline. If you only want one, make an adjustable one. This way you can play around. I have used my favorite hammock as an everyday bed-hammock for about a year or so. I thought I had found the perfect ridgeline length. Then I used a couple of other hammocks I had made, only to find that I didn't like the ridgeline length when I returned to my favorite hammock. I lengthened the ridgeline by about 15cm before I was comfortable again.

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images
    What about one of those bug nets that just drapes over your head area?
    I sew things on youtube.
    I don’t sew on commission, so please don’t ask. Thanks.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    I'm sure that others will chime in but for what it's worth, I use a Fronkey style because I actually prefer no bug net and the non-integrated allows me to leave it home when the temp and location don't require it. I like Jelly's suggestion, a half bug net is a great option if your sleeping clothes are treated. Keep in mind that bug spray containing Deet is not your friend when it comes to hammock materials. If you loading up with this before you climb into your hammock, you may want to reconsider.

For the ridge line, I usually start at 82% of the hammock body's length. Your going to fiddle so having at least one adjustable ridge line in your gear bag is a great practice. One I figure out my final length, I make a non-adjustable for ease and speed of setup.

Good luck!
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    DIY 11 ft
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY various
    Suspension
    straps
    Quote Originally Posted by jellyfish View Post
    What about one of those bug nets that just drapes over your head area?
    You mean a half-wit like the occupant? :-)

mathineer

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images
    You mean a half-wit like the occupant? :-)

mathineer
    Absolutely not!!!

But seriously, that thing may do just the trick.
    I sew things on youtube.
    I don’t sew on commission, so please don’t ask. Thanks.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Q1: If bugs don't bite you, God bless. Some people don't use bugnets but I'm not one of them.
    Q2: I hate zippers, and won't even consider bug protection that involves a zipper.
    Q3: Fronkey bugnet rocks. I've been using the Fronkey bugnet nearly five years and have never been bit (but I do spray it with permethrin). I've never considered a half-wit bugnet because the system relies on keeping your topquilt on at all times. That doesn't work for me - in bug season the first place I'm gonna vent is kicking off my topquilt (in which case my legs will be ravaged).
    Q4: I've never cinched up my Fronkey bugnet. I swing my legs out of the hammock, and I'm on the ground.
    Bonus question: I mostly use adjustable ridgelines, set at 83 percent.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    HH Explorer Asym & Safari
    Where I camp a bugnet is not an option. I use an intigrated zip off bug net. When I don't need the net, I don't bring it. Only leaves me with half a #3 coil ,or #5 teeth depending on which hammock. The zipper is easy to get at and doesn't require any fiddling. Zips down either, or both sides.
    I go with adjustable ridgeline. I set it to different lengths for sleeping and lounging.

Bob
    I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. ~Thomas Edison

I used a zippered bugnet in the past with great success. Strongly recommend that combined with permethrin.

• + New Posts