Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    BA Insulated & SPE
    Images

Bottom Insulation - Wool?

Granted, you wouldn't want it for a long haul trek due to its weight but has anyone tried a wool blanket as bottom insulation in the same fashion you would lay on a pad? Or if you have some ability, you could try a wool UQ.

Like I said, its weight keeps it out of the pack for long hauls except for possible wool diehards. However, a wool blanket is pretty cheap and bulletproof. When wet it still provides something like 90% of its insulating value and it can multitask. Also it won't take a spark from a campfire unlike nylon that instantly light your butt up.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sbmcghee View Post
    ...has anyone tried a wool blanket as bottom insulation...?
    Have a look at some of the older Thermadrape threads. Fin used a TD, in conjunction with wool suiting to make a few UQ models.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    KAQ,WB,Ham. Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch clips, strap
    We have recently, when sleeping in the hammock in the cool basement. Used the military surplus wool blanket. The biggest problem is it slides down to the lowest point if you move around unless the blanket is attached to the edges of the hammock somehow. However, it is warm when coupled with a top blanket or bag.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Ive used a fleece blanket before and it is warmer. But as mentioned be prepared to chase it around at night. It will walk all over your hammock. With the fleece, I experimented with stringing it up under the hammock, with elastic shock cord.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    diy fiddle factor
    Tarp
    diy cat cut hex
    Insulation
    whatever
    Suspension
    openable whoopies
    Images

loves the wool

i have a clark na which has the sewn in underpockets.i stuff them with wool sweaters,and pants when it gets below 30(down to 16degf).very warm.slept in this many times with a 30deg mummy bag(zipped up) and fleece blanket. wearing long undies, wool sweater,socks and hat.allways woke up sweaty.never used a wool blanket for bottom insul but believe it would be worth trying,should not compress,and loose insulation factor as easily as say down.would deffinateally have to fasten it to the hammock,unless you like wigglin and readjusting.sometimes in the summer i use just a wool blankit to sleep in,works good,except for that unexpected 30 deg night.
    hangin u.p.
    bill

I've used a fleece blanket too...when napping on the rope hammock in the backyard. I have seldom found a day when it was warm enough to go without such insulation but then I am near Missoula, MT.

The blanket does the trick for those western MT summer days...in the backyard during the day. Without beefing up the rest of my sleep system I wouldn't trust it much below 60° which is warmer than my warmest night on the trail in my home range.

FB

Hammock
    Clark TX-250 Camo
    Tarp
    10X10 or 12X12
    Insulation
    Clark Z liner
    Suspension
    rings and straps
    Images
    I've slept on top of a wool blanket before when I had my Clark NA. It was the best night's sleep I ever had... I believe that's what folks refer to as "hammock Zen" or "finding the sweet spot". Temps weren't very cold...mid 50's F. I had a thin fleece sleeping bag (the ones from WalMart) on top of the blanket to cut down on the "itch-factor".

They're heavy and bulky, but wool blankets are definitely the way to go. You're kind of limited to backyard and car campouts though, because of the weight/bulk.

I've never tried them as an actual "underquilt" outside the hammock.
    Yesterday's tomorrow is tomorrow's yesterday. It's the only day that counts.

Hammock
    SB Pro / SlingRings
    Tarp
    10x10 w/ Fig. 9's
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    1" PloyPro Straps
    I've used a wool blanket inside the hammock and it worked fine except for the sliding others have mentioned. Your post though makes me think how cool it would be though to get a few yards of tartan cloth for an UQ for camping at highland games. It would be a bit pricey, but a neat look.

Hammock
    Byer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Wool Poncho
    Suspension
    Good ole rope
    Images
    I always use my wool poncho (basically a wool blanket with a hole in the middle). I have little problem with it sliding around. I have slept in temps down to the mid 40's with no problem. Not sure how low it would keep me warm.
    "The less you fear, the better you shall speed" - Fortune my Foe

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    BA Insulated & SPE
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cavscout View Post
    IYour post though makes me think how cool it would be though to get a few yards of tartan cloth for an UQ for camping at highland games.
    Glad to provide some use for a fellow Scot.

I wonder if the rubber shelving or antiskid rubber you put on the bottom side of rugs on tile or hardwood floors would help keep it from slipping.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast