Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark RX-250
    Suspension
    Custom

Hey all! New fella

Hey

I'm a new guy. Currently residing in Portland, ME. I'm taking a month long backpacking trip in April to Costa Rica. I could decide on which tent to bring but then it dawned on me. Why not a hammock.. So I've been looking into which would be the best for the climate and ease of use.

The Clark jungle looks rugged and quality. The Hennsessy looks the fastest to pack up. I know this probably gets asked all the time, but I have to be picky especially being in a foreign country for a month or longer. I've read reviews on both products. I've never read where someone regretted buying the Clark as where I've read mixed reviews on Hennessy. I read that Hennessy is from China now? I couldn't confirm from there site though.

So my question. If you were 6'3", 240, and were traveling through rainforest for a month or two with all types of creepy crawlies, which product would you feel most comfortable with? Thanks and I look forward to your responses.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL...Yeah baby.
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Nothing Yet...
    Suspension
    Whatever is on it.
    Welcome wickedwayz! I am new to the hammock thing as well. When first visited the forums I was pretty much sold on a Hennessy, but after poking around for a little while I changed my mind to a Warbonnet Blackbird. Not that people here don't like the Hennessy, most of the folks that talk about them really like them. I just noticed that everyone who tried the Blackbird seemed to LOVE it. And those that had both a Hennessy and a Blackbird seemed to prefer the Blackbird.

Now I am no expert (as a matter of fact I am still anxiously waiting on my Blackbird to get here) but from all of the reading I have done here and other places I decided to go with the BB over the others. I also didn't really look at the Clark all that much. After reading the BB reviews I was pretty much sold. I am sure there will be others with a lot more experiance that will chime in and give you some great recommendations.

From what I have heard though both the Hennessy and Clark (and Blackbird ) are great hammocks and you probably won't go wrong with any of them.

~Chris

Hammock
    DIY,Speer,Tbird, JRB
    Tarp
    HG CF, MacCat, GG
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Speer,UGQ
    Suspension
    numerous, seasonal
    Images
    Welcome to HF
    There is a wealth of information in this forum, Many good people here with a lot of good ideas.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Welcome!

Actually, the Hennessey excels at keeping creepy crawly jungle things out of the hammock.

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    The Clarks are super solid hammocks and they sure seem rugged to me too. But, my experience with the Clarks left me with the feeling that they are better suited for smaller builds. The Clarks also tend to be on the heavier side of things. Part of the reason is their rugged construction, so it's kind of hard to fault them for that.

Hennessys are fine, but again, at your height you'd need to carry one of the larger HHs to get comfortable. I suspect it would be the Safari.

Blackbirds are almost always the winner in my book, so I'm a bit biased. However, they really are an excellent hammock. I think I saw somebody that was 6'5" reporting they were very comfortable in the hammock, so size shouldn't be an issue. They aren't overweight with features, but still have conveniences like the storage shelf and full length zipper. Get the double layer and you don't have to worry about bugs biting through the bottom of the hammock.

Whatever you decide, you must tell us more about your trip.
    Welcome to the Forum!
    Last edited by Cannibal; 01-20-2010 at 10:01.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    Welcome to HF , I know some people in Portland. I was up there a little over a year ago for new years. Spent some time in the Old Port. I'm diggin that Clark myself.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark RX-250
    Suspension
    Custom
    Hey, thanks for all your responses so far. I've compared weights to Clark, Hennessy, and the BB.

The Clark tropical is 2lbs 8.5oz. Safety load is 300lbs and max is 700lbs. It looks great for jungle camping. I like the weathershield feature for the security of cold nights and blowing rain. Also it is endorsed by US rescue and search (which specialize in s.e.r.e.). I cannot find what the material is though
    259.00 usd

The Hennessy deep jungle long A-sym is 2lbs 14oz. 300lb limit and for people over 6ft. 2 layers of ripstop and 2 minute setup, but they don't show many pictures on setting up or what it looks like.
    299.00 usd

Blackbird Hammock is 40 oz for double layer 1.7 and has a max weight at 375lbs. This site doesn't offer much info but provides a video which is cool. I also heard these are USA made!
    175.00 usd

So really I love reading all the info from these sites but I prefer regular people opinions. I'm still going to read and search and listen to more opinions.

I will definitely post a thread on my trip and provide some pictures of the backpacking and the hammock in use!

Thanks guys!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have seen the Clark ..... terrific set-up ... almost too much for my taste. Your taste may vary.
    I can vouch for the Blackbird ... roomy, light, comfy, just enough mosquito net and it is not in your face. American made by one of us.
    Case closed........
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Full UQ/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Welcome!

'nother Mainer! Excellent.

For my two cents, I'd say either the Hennessy Safari or the Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 double layer. Both are easy to set up and provide good room, other feature differences aside. However, depending on whether or not your spending lots of time in a Jungle/Rainforest area, I'd go with the Hennessy for that. The bottom entry will definitely 'help' keep critters out as you enter/exit the hammock.
    "The green earth, say you? That is itself a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day." -Aragorn, 'The Two Towers' by J.R.R. Tolkien

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Wickedwayz:
    I have the Clark NX-200 and love it. I have been in Southern Summer weather, most of the year, and one very unique Southern Winter experience where we got snow with a low of 28*F. Not very low but it was for Alabama. I am at the 300lb mark and 6 foot 1 inches tall and am very comfortable in this hammock. I like all of the features, especially the weather shield. It works well keeping things warmer in the hammock and at keeping things out of the hammock in heavy driving rains. Not knocking the other hammocks, I have seen them and not had the privilage to relax in them. I am just giving my opinion of the great product that I have used and will continue to use until it wears out, then I will buy another one. I would recommend this hammock to you over the Tropical because I think you will get more out of it once you come back home. Ihope this has helped you in your decision.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast