Hammock
    HH Camo Survivor & DIY GE
    Tarp
    Speer 8x10 sil
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Spock View Post
    Silnylon feels much lighter than that fabric and has a waxy surface on both sides. PU coated fabrics have a rubbery coating on one side.
    Thank you, this is like what I was looking for.

Hammock
    HH Camo Survivor & DIY GE
    Tarp
    Speer 8x10 sil
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BOB1520 View Post
    that is if you haven't already done so...
    I haven't done so, so thank you very much for the advice. thru-hiker it is. And thanks to RamblinRev for the videos. It's a little off topic, but I remember someone, can't remeber if it was RamblinRev or not, was going to make some videos to educate those of us that missed the Home-Ec classes how to do basic things like load a bobbin and tread a needle. I watched the first one, which gave me the courage to start down this path.

Hammock
    Hammecks, WBBBs
    Tarp
    WB Edge+SuperFly
    Insulation
    DIYIXUQ+TQ+SngFit
    Suspension
    webbing, whoOpies
    Quote Originally Posted by Spock View Post
    I've never seen real silnylon in at any Wallyworld. What they usually have is a grey 1.9 oz. Nylon 6 (garment grade) with a decent dry water repellent treatment. The bag test will not show its limits unless you load it with a gallon or so. Silnylon feels much lighter than that fabric and has a waxy surface on both sides. PU coated fabrics have a rubbery coating on one side. It's an obvious difference. I've used the Wallyworld fabric for hammock bodies. It holds up reasonably well and has less stretch than the *much* stronger Nylon 66.
    5 hrs into water test : no leak or sweat.
    Time to do the "gallon bag" water test.

Checked the inside of the Snugfit silnylon sack to see the no fray edge.
    This ripstop will fray.

Seems this is the two side coated DWR. Very light and silky.

Don't need to know what it is, only would LIKE to know.
    Need to know it will make a good hammock sock.

Think it is time to experiment.
    Will send the water test results.

Hammock
    Hammecks, WBBBs
    Tarp
    WB Edge+SuperFly
    Insulation
    DIYIXUQ+TQ+SngFit
    Suspension
    webbing, whoOpies
    "gallon" water test : water leaks threw in constant water beads

So this seems to be DWR.
    It should be good for hammock socks.

Thank you everyone for the information.

Hammock
    MYOG w/ warbonnet-whipping
    Tarp
    MYOG hex
    Suspension
    Whoopies/webbing
    Images
    Hey 3D+G,
    If you said that you couldn't blow through this at all you might wanna be careful with it. It sounds like almost the same stuff that I used to make my sock (gray $1.50/yard wally world)... and I woke up with a wet sleeping-bag-peapod and a pod full of condensation. Luckily it was only an overnighter and I could pack up and head on out. Maybe-- and hopefully-- yours is different, so best of luck. $.02 !
    "The sea was angry that day, my friends! Like an old man... trying to send back soup at a deli!"

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 3D+G View Post
    "gallon" water test : water leaks threw in constant water beads

So this seems to be DWR.
    It should be good for hammock socks.

Thank you everyone for the information.
    I used what I believe is the very same material from Walmart to do a number of prototype tarps well over a year ago. You may be interested to know that they function very well as tarps in the field. I had one out all summer with a hammock strung up underneath (backyard setup). Never once did water get through.

Even in the remnants of one of last years Tropical storms (the worst one to hit Maine) - on a camping trip we had one of them (8x11) strung up flat over the picnic table and it worked great.

It's not sil, it shouldn't have worked that well, but it did. Don't trust the stuff, but don't feel you have to throw away anything you made with it thus far either.

Quote Originally Posted by cwayman1 View Post
    Hey 3D+G,
    If you said that you couldn't blow through this at all you might wanna be careful with it. It sounds like almost the same stuff that I used to make my sock (gray $1.50/yard wally world)... and I woke up with a wet sleeping-bag-peapod and a pod full of condensation. Luckily it was only an overnighter and I could pack up and head on out. Maybe-- and hopefully-- yours is different, so best of luck. $.02 !
    Very good point. Be sure to have very adequate air gaps in it - maybe a large flap w/velcro to adjust the air gap size to suit.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    WBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    DIY 12X10, mamajmb
    Insulation
    KAQ, & JRB W Nest
    Suspension
    Woopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WarmSoda View Post
    I haven't done so, so thank you very much for the advice. thru-hiker it is. And thanks to RamblinRev for the videos. It's a little off topic, but I remember someone, can't remeber if it was RamblinRev or not, was going to make some videos to educate those of us that missed the Home-Ec classes how to do basic things like load a bobbin and tread a needle. I watched the first one, which gave me the courage to start down this path.
    I think it is RamblinRev. He has someting like 12 vids that he made, so I'm sure that one of them go over that. I'm at work and they block you-tube vids, so I can't verify which one it is. But watch them, all they are very helpful in getting started and as a refresher for those who attended home-ec many years ago. The new Politically correct name in our schools is "Home & Careers".

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    re: silver nylon ripstop

I bought a bunch of it when I found it. At first I THOUGHT it was sil, but it's definitely DWR, NOT Sil. I made a tarp with this stuff from Speer's instructions and added a can of water repellent spray for good measure. Haven't tested it in the rain... mostly because it doesn't rain here... much...

Works great for my kid's hammock, and as a quarter-weighted overcover. I'm curently planning a hammock sock with this stuff on the bottom, and some more-breathable ~1.1oz Green untreated WW ripstop for the top, and as the cover of a Climashield quilt... (did I say I bought a BUNCH?)

John

Hammock
    Hammecks, WBBBs
    Tarp
    WB Edge+SuperFly
    Insulation
    DIYIXUQ+TQ+SngFit
    Suspension
    webbing, whoOpies
    Quote Originally Posted by cwayman1 View Post
    Hey 3D+G,
    Quote Originally Posted by sclittlefield View Post
    I used what I believe is the very same material from Walmart to do a number of prototype tarps well over a year ago. You may be interested to know that they function very well as tarps in the field. I had one out all summer with a hammock strung up underneath (backyard setup). Never once did water get through.

Even in the remnants of one of last years Tropical storms (the worst one to hit Maine) - on a camping trip we had one of them (8x11) strung up flat over the picnic table and it worked great.

It's not sil, it shouldn't have worked that well, but it did. Don't trust the stuff, but don't feel you have to throw away anything you made with it thus far either.

Very good point. Be sure to have very adequate air gaps in it - maybe a large flap w/velcro to adjust the air gap size to suit.
    Thanks cwayman1 and sclittlefield,

That is just the kind of information from your experiments that is needed.

Now will make hammock socks with vent windows ( two versions : one for him, one for me ),
    and another set that will be somewhat of a top cover
    plus under weather guard ( less against cold, more against dew ).

Expect to experiment : snake skins to cover during daytime ( we vanCamp ); insultex TQs and UQs for both of us.

Did get more Walmart ripstop: may try a tarp for a van sidedoor entrance tarp with a removable oneside windwall, that hooks onto the roof rack.

Lots of material to experiment with and still have the better ripstop coming by mail.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12