Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Please do. I'd love to see the results comparing continuous loops with and without a locked brummel.

In the mean time, you can use lock stitching to protect your loops when unloaded.
    Thanks mate, will keep you posted on the testing. I have come across two local UHMWPE ropes like Amsteel Blue, one has a thicker coating and is more stiff and plastic feeling - still works well though and is a high quality rope. The other has a more natural feel, and is my preference, rated a little less, much easier to splice and all the locked brummels and whoopies seem to hold well but the continuous loop not so well.

I am going to be offering this rope for sale over here but I first want to make sure it is going to do the job.

Hammock
    DIY purple HyperD
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Great thread! I just did my first continuous loop splices with the 8 strand amsteel. The first try I had a one inch "eye" (for lack of a better word) between the two buries...??? I think I pulled on the other end of the cord when pulling the buries through rather than milking it. It was a VERY hard pull, so that is when I found this thread and learned about tapers. yay. I was able to pull the buries out and start all over. This time there was no space between the buries, it looked a little bumpy, but I thought I could sew that area if it came to it.
    I grabbed another piece of rope and using the same measurements....tried again. This time with the tapers and the correct gauge wire, it was loads easier and the bury points looked really good. I don't know what happened, but the loop was smaller than the first one by about 1/2 inch.....

Anyway, I am taking a break (my hands hurt) and BTW, black amsteel goes grey and your hands turn blackish.... BUT, I am quite proud of my attempt and willing to try again. I am making a kid sized (two years old) 5 ft long tablecloth (apple green) hammock and after I get the loops down, I want to make a portable hammock stand ala TurtleLady. I think it will make a great Birthday prezzie for my surrogate grandson.

Love this forum!
    If you don't experiment, you don't learn!

Hammock
    WBRR / WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG / UGQ
    Suspension
    Buckles / Whoopies
    I think I'll try this!
    I'm a Mormon. I know it, I live it, and I love it.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB & Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie DIY
    Images
    Actually, I have found pulling a wire out of the wife's whisk was fantastic for this type of work. Very stiff and very small diameter and when folded in half, about 10"...I have done Zing-It, 7/64 and 1/8" with it. All came out pretty good. A little tight with the 1.75mm Zing it stuff but it still works.

Only issue of concern was the "Himalayan Death Stare" from the wife when she realized it was her whisk that became the donor for all those neat little rope products I was making... RUN Forest RUUUNNNN!

SG

Hammock
    HH Explorer, 2 or 3 others
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    Pads + Down Bag TQ
    Suspension
    Stock (for now)
    Been debating what to use for my fishing tool up to this point. After reading SG's recent post I found myself digging through the kitchen drawers. Found the whisk. Hair stood up on the back of my neck and opted for a trip to the dollar aisle at Albertsons. You're a brave man Gunner!

Hammock
    TW green hornet
    Tarp
    DD 3x3m
    Insulation
    S.i.m.
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie
    Scotty Dale.......I think I'd be with you on that one......

You know what would happen.......you go to the back of that long forgotten drawer.......find just the implement you can adapt...........then the awkward explanation to the wife when she reminds you that was a wedding present from her mother.........

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyDale View Post
    Been debating what to use for my fishing tool up to this point. After reading SG's recent post I found myself digging through the kitchen drawers. Found the whisk. Hair stood up on the back of my neck and opted for a trip to the dollar aisle at Albertsons. You're a brave man Gunner!

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx/Diy TQ
    Suspension
    MSH/Straps
    I use a loop Turner for amsteel and a small sewing needle for zing it. Amsteel is a breeze if you taper correctly. Zing it can be a pain since it's so small. I've found if you push the outer layer instead of pulling the inner, then it's less likely to pull out of your splicing tool.

Hammock
    Dangerbird 72
    Tarp
    Big Daddy; Kelty
    Suspension
    Python or Whoopies
    I'm interested in making some 12'' continuous loops from 1/8 (and up) thickness of Amsteel. Any difference in the bury length? or length of cordage that you begin with? Or can I use the same formula (step-by-step) at the beginning of this thread(post)???

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Hanger View Post
    I'm interested in making some 12'' continuous loops from 1/8 (and up) thickness of Amsteel. Any difference in the bury length? or length of cordage that you begin with? Or can I use the same formula (step-by-step) at the beginning of this thread(post)???
    Bury lengths are diameter dependent. Use Samson Ropes instructions for an end-to-end splice.

Hammock
    60x126 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 8 1/2'
    Insulation
    Jarbidge UQ, PLTQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & MSH
    Searched the forum and haven't found an example mentioned, so this thread seems like the best place to ask.

Has anyone used two continuous loops instead of rings/cinch buckles with 1" webbing for adjustable suspension?

Having never worked with continuous loop, is it worth the effort to make a couple and try? I have the materials. Thoughts?

• + New Posts
  • Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast