Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1725262728 LastLast
    Thank you.
    I collect vintage camp stoves.
    I roast coffee at home.

Quick question.

I have a pair of 10' whoopie slings that I no longer use. Well, they're still on my hammock, but I don't need all that extra length. Can I use this same dyneema cord to make some CLs? I'm doing some diy setups with my boys at church and want them to pretty much make every part of their setups. (Tablecloth hammocks, CLs, diy tarp outs, etc) I figure that if I need 28" for an 8" CL, I could get a couple pairs out of the extra length of the whoopie. Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Yes, 28" inches will easily give you an 8" loop of 7/64" Amsteel. Minimum bury should be 5.75".
    By the way, classic pictures of continuous loops show both buries that long, but the truth is that only one needs to be minimum length. The other end can just be tucked in. By doing this, loops can be made smaller than using a douldle bury. Just imagine the tenths of grams that could be saved! LOL

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

I agree that one bury can be quite short but be sure to taper both of them. I haven't paged back on this thread to look if this has been mentioned: don't bother with the so-called locked Brummel. The point is that it can't be "locked" as can be done with a spliced loop. With a CL it isn't locked at all! You can prove this by tugging on the CL before doing the buries. Truth be told, doing those two pass-throughs (that look a lot like a locked Brummel) actually result in a slightly weaker CL.

Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    I agree that one bury can be quite short but be sure to taper both of them. I haven't paged back on this thread to look if this has been mentioned: don't bother with the so-called locked Brummel. The point is that it can't be "locked" as can be done with a spliced loop. With a CL it isn't locked at all! You can prove this by tugging on the CL before doing the buries. Truth be told, doing those two pass-throughs (that look a lot like a locked Brummel) actually result in a slightly weaker CL.
    This is the tutorial I watched. Is he locking it like you mentioned? Complete Newb on this. Any other thoughts other than shortening a bury?

https://youtu.be/xcoKeXAwBZY

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Actually, I never use locked brummels on any splices. I loosely hand stitch a few stitches through the bury. Make them loose so that the tread doesn't break when the splice tightens up under load.

Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bolting Carcass View Post
    This is the tutorial I watched. Is he locking it like you mentioned? Complete Newb on this. Any other thoughts other than shortening a bury?

https://youtu.be/xcoKeXAwBZY

Yes, That "lock" isn't a lock at all. Skip it. It actually weakens the CL although only a little. Put the buries as close to one another as you can. As MAD777 says, put a loose stitch or two where the buries meet and bury the end of the thread used for stitching. If you want to be a "purist", you could stitch with Spectra fishing line! Spectra and Dyneema are the two common brand names for the fibers made from UHMWPE.

Aside from making one bury short, the only way to make the CL a bit smaller would be to overlap the tapered ends of the buries, but only slightly.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Actually, I never use locked brummels on any splices. I loosely hand stitch a few stitches through the bury. Make them loose so that the tread doesn't break when the splice tightens up under load.

I think doing the locked brummel on an eye splice is a neat and simple way to guarantee that the splice won't walk. As I wrote above, the strength that is sacrificed just isn't enough to worry about (unless you're hanging on Dynaglide CLs!)

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Ha! Funny you said that. I am hanging on all Dynaglide for four years. At just shy of 200 pounds, I'm completely confident in it. YMMV

Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Thanks! I just received my package of 75 ft of 7/64 a amsteel to make a bunch of CLs and hopefully some other things for my boys hammocks. Tablecloths will be here Friday. I'm stoked. We'll be making 10 hammocks with CLs and hopefully some SRLs.

• + New Posts
  • Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1725262728 LastLast