Dutch 11ft. Netless
    Tarp
    HG CF/WBSF
    Insulation
    HG 0 Incub./Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Beatle Bug

Done with Whoopies

So I've really gave the whoopie slings a good try, maybe have used them on about 10-12 trips and I think I'm ready to go back to the cinch buckles. I seem to always end up fighting these things for a few minutes each set up. So I'm wondering is it just me? Anyone else out there tried the whoopies and ultimately end up going to the buckles instead? I think it comes down to impatience on my part, at the end of a hiking day I'm tired and sore and don't really feel like dinking around with these things.
    "These are the voices which we hear in solitude, but they grow faint and inaudible as we enter the world. Society everywhere is in conspiracy against the manhood of everyone of it's members." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBRR,Dutch 11' -wide
    Tarp
    SuperFly, SLD WiH
    Insulation
    HG Pheonix, pads
    Suspension
    web various cinch
    Images
    I agree that simpler is better in many cases. When I make DIYs for family and friends I just use CLs and cinch buckles or cinch bugs or similar.

Hammock
    Chameleon clone
    Tarp
    Cowboy Badlander
    Suspension
    WB Cinch Buckles
    Images
    I actually enjoyed using whoopies, but I still ditched them for cinch buckles in favor of simplifying my suspension. I happily accept a small weight penalty for the ability to hang when tree spacing or girth renders whoopies impractical.
    "Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." -Mark Twain

Hammock
    HyperD 1.6 DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    PolyD 4000 Cat hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies and hooks
    I can somewhat understand the whoopie frustration when attached to the hammock and using a hitch on a strap to set up. However, after using whoopies with hooks, I can't seem to have find the same problems it seems SOOOOO many folks (especially very recently) are having. Maybe I'm just lucky and seem to more or less find/have the right trees and spacing. I have had to get a little creative on occasion but it certainly hasn't been such a pain that I am planning to dump the whoopies. My $.02.
    Cheers,
    The Goat

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    I love the idea of whoopies but really love the simplicity of my cinch buckles.

Actually let me rephrase. I love the idea of packing whoopies

Whoopies always seemed to become "snaggy" after some use for me. Cinch bucket are awesome. Agreed.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    MW Monster
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies
    I go back and forth between the two. I like using whoopies along with a tree strap and becket hitch. Wonderfully simplistic, adjustable and light. On the other hand I like just putting a strap through and buckle. Depends what mood im in.
    I would rather be in the woods... my dog would rather be in the pool. My wife thinks we are both nuts.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GopherHanger View Post
    So I've really gave the whoopie slings a good try, maybe have used them on about 10-12 trips and I think I'm ready to go back to the cinch buckles. I seem to always end up fighting these things for a few minutes each set up. So I'm wondering is it just me? Anyone else out there tried the whoopies and ultimately end up going to the buckles instead? I think it comes down to impatience on my part, at the end of a hiking day I'm tired and sore and don't really feel like dinking around with these things.
    You lasted longer than I did. I used them on three trips and gave up. To many moving parts to keep up with like you the last thing I wanted after a long hike was to fart around with them. I'm a strap guy and will remain so from now on.

Hammock
    HH Expl Dlx, Dutch 11'
    Tarp
    HH Hex, Tadpole
    Insulation
    HH SS, Jarbidge
    Suspension
    various
    I like whoopies with hooks, but I don't like the extra length between trees.
    I like cinch buckles, but I don't like the hardware on my hammock. No particular reason, just preference.
    I like cinch bugs best. Minimal weight, no extra length, I can put them on straps of any length I desire, infinitely adjustable.
    I take toggles along in case I ever need just one more way to hang.
    YMMV, HYOH.
    Thanks,
    Ranc0r

Images
    I'm on the fence. I like stretchy bouncy feel of straps, but i also prefer to keep tree straps separate from the rest of the hammock due to water, sap, dirt, etc. I also appreciate the extra length that whoopies offer here in the Land of Big Trees.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast