Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Crosby-Manitou State Park

Hi, this September I'll be embarking on a road trip from VA to Glacier NP with some destinations along the way. One such stop is up in MN and Superior NF. The current plan is to reserve a campsite along the Manitou, hike in, set up camp, and spend the rest of the day fly fishing (Tenkara) the Manitou. It looks like its going to be Labor day weekend (Sat/Sun).

I was just wondering if any of you fine folks had any tips or recommendations on which site to choose, river access, hammock trees, fishing, etc. Sites 1 and 6 are currently taken. I was looking at Site 2 or one of the southern sites 13-16.
    Also, I'll be driving in on Friday and could use any info on maybe a car campground nearby for the night before and some local eateries.

From there I'll be driving to at least Fargo and then across to Theodore Roosevelt NP, so any tidbits there are also welcome.

Thanks for the help!

I have stayed at site 13 before. There are plenty of spots to hang your hammock with the best one hanging right over the river. It is a bit of a walk in compared to other spots but the walk mostly follows the river so you could check out the fishing spots along the way.
    That is a great rustic park so enjoy!
    site 13

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch 11ft. Netless
    Tarp
    HG CF/WBSF
    Insulation
    HG 0 Incub./Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Beatle Bug
    I second the above post, site 13 is magnificent, that picture above is exactly where I have hung same 2 trees even. I would say also, that site 14 is also really beautiful for hanging. Site 13 gets my number 1 vote so far for George H. Crosby Manitou SP. A couple of good eatery's up there are Judy's Café in Two Harbors, MN. Lemon Wolf Café in Beaver Bay, MN. Also, Rustic Inn Café in Castle Danger, MN. Those are all within 30 miles or so of ya. Have fun!
    "These are the voices which we hear in solitude, but they grow faint and inaudible as we enter the world. Society everywhere is in conspiracy against the manhood of everyone of it's members." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Images
    I have been to site 2, which is nice, but nothing like the photo above of site 13!

Hammock
    WB Traveler xl
    Tarp
    DIY membrane 4000
    Insulation
    Bandit, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Another vote for site 13. Camped there a few times and is a beautiful site with plenty of hammock hang spots.

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Any of the sites along the river are decent to amazing as mentioned above. Number 15 is my particular favorite.

EDIT: I forgot about Site 1. Avoid Site 1 at all cost unless it's the only site available in the park.
    Last edited by alifeoutdoors; 05-15-2017 at 17:41.
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Hammock
    Dutch 11ft. Netless
    Tarp
    HG CF/WBSF
    Insulation
    HG 0 Incub./Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Beatle Bug
    Quote Originally Posted by alifeoutdoors View Post
    Any of the sites along the river are decent to amazing as mentioned above. Number 15 is my particular favorite.

EDIT: I forgot about Site 1. Avoid Site 1 at all cost unless it's the only site available in the park.
    Site 2 is one to avoid too, long way from the water, no view , of anything.
    "These are the voices which we hear in solitude, but they grow faint and inaudible as we enter the world. Society everywhere is in conspiracy against the manhood of everyone of it's members." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutch 11ft. Netless
    Tarp
    HG CF/WBSF
    Insulation
    HG 0 Incub./Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Beatle Bug
    IMG_0544.jpg
    Site 13

Thanks all for the help! People didnt mess around, both 13 and 15 were taken when I went back. I reserved 14 for now to make sure I had something. Things might change between now and then, but I'm set for now on that front.

Anyone recommend a place to stay like a car campground, etc? I'll driving the day before (Friday) west on 41 and 2 and eventually 61. Anywhere between the park and Two Harbors would be good I think.

Thanks again!

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Any of the state park are very nice for car camping. Tettegouche SP, Split Rock SP or Gooseberry SP. You'd want to try to reserve early the state parks on the north shore get pretty crazy. Especially Split Rock or Gooseberry. Tettegouche would be your better bet. They have cart in lake side sites or a campground on the Baptism River. They also have three "walk in" sites but the walk is barely a walk and would still work for car camping gear. Gooseberry is fairly large and I've been able to squeeze in there for a night in the fall before hitting the trail. The sites are pretty close to each other though.
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast