Tarp
    DIY Sil
    Insulation
    KickAss UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    I know what you are saying... But give this a think..

If I didnt pull the tarps ridge tight, and relied solely on the tie outs, I think a satisfactory pitch could be achieved without any starting tension on the tarps RL itself.
    We better be careful lest we get the mathaletes started but I can picture what you are saying.
    When it goes over their heads, it really doesn't matter how high it is.

Hammock
    WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL & 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    I know what you are saying... But give this a think..

If I didnt pull the tarps ridge tight, and relied solely on the tie outs, I think a satisfactory pitch could be achieved without any starting tension on the tarps RL itself.
    I was thinking the same thing. In fact I posted something a while back about the ridgeline sawing into the tree by trying to tension it so tight. After all, once you stake it out, you will have all the tension you need, no matter how tight the ridgeline is (within reason). Then it's just a pull against the tree's bark instead of sawing. You can saw a PVC pipe into with a nylon string.

I am going to experiment with it this weekend.

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tlbj6142 View Post
    If I only need 25# (made up number) to keep my tarp "snug" does it mater what it is attached to? I don't think so. I end up with the same amount of force on my tie-outs.

I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from using a full tarp ridgeline (there are plenty of benefits), I just don't see how it "reduces wear on the tarp's tie-outs".
    You are right. The force on the tarp tie out is exactly the same when xx lbs of force are applied. It makes absolutely no difference if the x lbs is applied using the line from the tie to the tree or by the Prussics.

The difference is one of mechanical advantage. When I watch people set up their tarp using a line directly from the tie out to the tree, they tend to crank down on the second line really hard to get that tarp really tight. Also, they can pull it really tight holding the line in their hand and if they use a trucker's hitch (or something similar), they have a lot of mechanical advantage and can really stress the tie outs without even realizing it because you cannot even see the tie out up close.

Now with the ridge line and Prussics, when you pull the tarp tight, you are pulling on that really small Prussic knot with your fingertips. You have zero mechanical advantage and almost no grip on that small Prussic knot. Hence you really cannot exert the forces you can with the line wrapped around your hand. Also, the Prussic, being a friction knot, resists sliding on the ridge line rope so some of the force you exert goes into sliding the Prussic instead of pulling the tarp tight.

Then there is another factor. When pulling the Prussic, your eyes are up close to the tarp tie out. You cannot help but notice what the forces are doing to the tie out and the stitching. I know that when I pull the Prussic, I tend to watch the tie closely. Just a habit I have developed to make sure I am not over stressing the stitching.

So, I don't think it is a matter of the Prussics method applying less force per se, but rather that the operator cannot apply as much force and is more observant of what the force applied is doing.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234