Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by tlbj6142 View Post
    But it is not sufficient with direct connections? If the tarp is loose, it is loose. How does the attachment mechanism affect it?
    Not loose, snug.

The ridgeline is pulled tight, and bears most of the load, and the prusiks are used to position the tarp on that tight ridgeline. Without the ridgeline, the tarp bears 100% of the load.

Maybe I'm not explaining this well...somebody jump in.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    Not loose, snug.

The ridgeline is pulled tight, and bears most of the load, and the prusiks are used to position the tarp on that tight ridgeline. Without the ridgeline, the tarp bears 100% of the load.

Maybe I'm not explaining this well...somebody jump in.
    Ill add...

And your tie outs produce the tension on the tarp to keep it taught. No need to crank the tarp tight, just snug it up and the tie outs do the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    And your tie outs produce the tension on the tarp to keep it taught. No need to crank the tarp tight, just snug it up and the tie outs do the rest.
    If I only need 25# (made up number) to keep my tarp "snug" does it mater what it is attached to? I don't think so. I end up with the same amount of force on my tie-outs.

I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from using a full tarp ridgeline (there are plenty of benefits), I just don't see how it "reduces wear on the tarp's tie-outs".
    Yellow Jacket

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JrB TQ/UQ,Crownest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

Rubbing?

If you place your tarp OVER your ridge line don't you need to worry about the tarp rubbing on the line causing abrasion wear-marks on the tarp?

As far as extra strain on the tarp tie-outs; If you don't use a RL, you have to pull on the tie-outs TIGHT (bango twang). If you do use a RL they only need to be taut.

Just my $0.02
    I ride a recumbent.
    I like to HAM it up on the CW.
    I use Linux.
    I play go.
    Of course I sleep in a hammock!

Rug.

Hang On!

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rug View Post
    If you place your tarp OVER your ridge line don't you need to worry about the tarp rubbing on the line causing abrasion wear-marks on the tarp?

As far as extra strain on the tarp tie-outs; If you don't use a RL, you have to pull on the tie-outs TIGHT (bango twang). If you do use a RL they only need to be taut.

Just my $0.02
    what me worry?

I worry about the fact that I don't get out in the field to get to worry about abrasion on anything I own

But seriously, no, sil is tough stuff and there is very little movement in the tree-to-tree dimension. More possible in the side-to-side, but that would be spread out I think. Where I worry about abrasion is when there is a lot of movement in a small area.

Alfred B.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Quote Originally Posted by Rug View Post
    Is this because when you use a RL you are "hanging" the tarp, whereas if you don't you have to "suspend" the tarp?
    Yellow Jacket

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JrB TQ/UQ,Crownest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Is this because when you use a RL you are "hanging" the tarp, whereas if you don't you have to "suspend" the tarp?
    Umm, yeah. That sounds good. On the other hand I just might be doing things wrong. In years gone by I would reef on my tarp lines to try and keep them from flapping in the wind, and it was obvious that tarp material was taking a LOT of strain. By using a RL , all of the strain is on the trees, and the tarp looks 'happier'.

I still don't know what I like better over vs under. Under looks natural, but over looks better.

If I were a DIY'er I would make a tarp with a built-in double-seam faux ridge-line. Along this thick and burley channel I would place evenly spaced gross-grain & D-rings. When setting up Ridge-Line I would run it through the D-rings (kind of like a shower-curtain effect.)

Make RL tight.
    Pull Prussics on edge of tarp taut.
    Pull guy-lines taut.

In my minds eye this will give a VERY stable tarp, and the load is evenly spread along the entire width of the ridge-line. By golly, now I do want to DIY.
    I ride a recumbent.
    I use Linux.
    I play go.

Rug.

Hang On!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JrB TQ/UQ,Crownest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    what me worry?

I worry about the fact that I don't get out in the field to get to worry about abrasion on anything I own

But seriously, no, sil is tough stuff and there is very little movement in the tree-to-tree dimension. More possible in the side-to-side, but that would be spread out I think. Where I worry about abrasion is when there is a lot of movement in a small area.

Alfred B.
    I don't doubt that sil is tough stuff. But I have seen cheapo blue tarps wear-through when I tried using an under ridge-line before.
    I ride a recumbent.
    I use Linux.
    I play go.

Rug.

Hang On!

Hammock
    HH Exped Asym
    Tarp
    DIY Sil
    Insulation
    KickAss UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    OK OK OK. So I tried it and it is really is a great way to get your tarp centered or positioned to give you the best coverage with respect to wind direction. I used a biner on one end of the ridgeline and a figure 9 on the other. I can crank the ridgeline pretty tight with this arrangement. I had a couple of mini S biners that I used to connect the prusiks to the tarp and viola, there it was. I don't think initial setup is any faster but making adjustments is WAY easier. I don't think there is any difference as far as strain on the tarp is concerned with the ridgeline over the tarp. I'm thinking tension is tension if you need to keep the tarp from sagging. Thanks to all for the info.
    When it goes over their heads, it really doesn't matter how high it is.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    If I only need 25# (made up number) to keep my tarp "snug" does it mater what it is attached to? I don't think so. I end up with the same amount of force on my tie-outs.

I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from using a full tarp ridgeline (there are plenty of benefits), I just don't see how it "reduces wear on the tarp's tie-outs".
    I know what you are saying... But give this a think..

If I didnt pull the tarps ridge tight, and relied solely on the tie outs, I think a satisfactory pitch could be achieved without any starting tension on the tarps RL itself.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast