Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Suspension
    Straps whoopie

My two sons and I hammock backpacking in Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park

May 4-7 my two adult sons and I went on a hammock backpacking excursion in the Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park in the western Upper Peninsula of Michigan. It was our first real life use of hammocks though the one son and I have done several tent backpacking trips over the past few years. The good news is that it was a resounding success! We slept in our hammocks the first and third night and stayed in one of the wonderful little wilderness cabins on Lake Superior the second night. My setup was essentially the ENO One Link system with a doublenest hammock and profly tarp. They each had a Snugpack Jungle Hammock with integrated mosquito net. One had a Bear Butt tarp and the other a Yukon Outfitters tarp.

For underquilts I had a Yukon Outfitters Kindle and they each had the Snugpack Under Blanket. We each supplemented our under quilt/blanket with a costco down throw. One son and I had 30 degree down sleeping bags and my other son had some other brand 15 degree sleeping bag. The third night got down to 27 degrees according to the ranger when we checked out about noon. I'm guessing the other two nights were in the 30s.

Our packs weighed between 35 an 40 lbs including water. We hiked 24-1/2 miles on the trip. Trails were definitely wilderness trails made even more interesting by recent ice storm which brought down many trees and very wet and sloppy conditions. But that all added to the fun and kept it from being just a "walk in the park.

Day 3 hammocks.jpg

If you want to see some of the details as well as YouTube videos of our trip click http://www.huyettm.net/may-2017-pork...king-trip.html

We all loved the hammocks and likely will not be using tents much in the future! Thanks to everyone on Hammock Forums for many ideas and general background as we ventured into hammocks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Nice to hear it was a success! I look forward to the day I can go out with my two boys. Thanks for sharing.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Congrats on your first trip out with the hammocks in the Porkies. My daughter and I did that trip with her friends and dad's about 5 years ago and "cheated"....3 nights in the cabins: Buckshot, Big Carp, and Mirror Lake. Well worth the 60 bucks a night, especially after hiking in rain our second day. Those trails can be sloppy and wet. Our trip was in June and there's sections of trail back there that never dry out. The Porkies are a beautiful place and I hope to get up there again someday. See any bears? How were the mosquitos?

Sent from my LG-H740 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Suspension
    Straps whoopie
    No mosquitoes or any other bugs. That's one reason we went so early. Yes the cabin was such fun. We did the six bunk one right at where Big Carp River dumps into Lake Superior.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Suspension
    Straps whoopie
    That was what made it so special for me. What a privilege to have that time and experience with those two guys. As you can tell I'm a thankful, proud dad!

Big Carp 6 is where we stayed too. What a great spot! We even jumped into the river, but that water was brutally cold. Thankfully, we had the wood stove in the cabin going to warm up. Glad to hear you were bug free! We always enjoyed reading the cabin logs and hearing about people's experiences there. Good memories for all...

Sent from my LG-H740 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Suspension
    Straps whoopie
    Didn't jump in the river there but did have to Wade across earlier in the day. You're right, cooooolldd! But such fun!☺

Hammock
    Hennessy Hammock Hyperlight
    Insulation
    Burrow 40, HH SS
    Suspension
    Stock, Cinch
    Awesome

Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful. Honour and recognition in event of success.

I'm surprised there's not still a foot of snow on the ground.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Suspension
    Straps whoopie
    The did have snow at the higher elevations just a week earlier! But our weather was perfect. 50s+ in the daytime, 27 or higher at night. Clear sunny days. Clear brightly moonlit nights. AND NO BUGS!

• + New Posts