Fox Outfitters Double
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ / OV Aerie
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies

Eleven Point River - Greer to Riverton - Alton, Missouri

Looking for site advice along the river. Out of Horseshoe Bend, Barn Hollow, White's Creek, and Greenbriar float camps - which is best suited for 2-4 hammocks?
    The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
    John Muir

The very basic core of a man's living spirit is his passion for adventure.
    Christopher McCandless

Hammock
    Warbonnets
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ
    Images
    The best places were primitive. One gravel bar with trees directly across from Stinking Pond Float Camp (which isn't really used anymore). A few other gravel bars at the actual Horseshoe Bend opposite some bluffs on the rightside of river. (Horseshoe Bend Float camp is actually downstream of the bend of bluffs) A major flood hit Eleven Point the first of May and probably altered these sites, either washing the trees out of piling trees and debris in them. There won't be as much shade on river, many trees were washed out.

I have heard most of official float camps are "okay" after flood. The forest service has been working on accesses and float camps to clean up. I seem to remember all of them having enough spots for up to 4 hammocks, with maybe the exception of Greenbriar. Not necessarily together. Unless it is a busy Saturday or a group of scouts or chruch group was out you wouldn't necessarily have to worry about many of the float camps being full of campers, as most floaters camp on gravel bars. After this flooding the float camps might get used more. If I had to guess which of the float camps were best for your needs, Horseshoe Bend, followed by White's Creek, Barn Hollow, then Greenbriar.

That's the best I can remember, I have strapped hammocks on many trees on Eleven Point. Was an "early" hammocker in those parts. I haven't even been on Hammock Forums for a "while" but I get news alerts for Eleven Point River and was suprised to see Hammock Forums show up. Miss this place. I do stream team litter pickups on the river and lately have been advocating for the new Eleven Point State Park which some politicians have been opposed to.
    Last edited by Coldspring; 05-18-2017 at 20:17.

• + New Posts