Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images

Deep Snow

It's still snowing in Flagstaff, Arizona (we're expecting a few more feet overnight, and more through Friday). My hammock stand is almost buried and the town is all but shut down. The photo is looking out my patio window.

I've got my "go" kit ready and I'm planning to go snowshoeing and do a stealth hang either tonight or tomorrow night. Yeehaa!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    It's still snowing in Flagstaff, Arizona (we're expecting a few more feet overnight, and more through Friday). My hammock stand is almost buried and the town is all but shut down. The photo is looking out my patio window.

I've got my "go" kit ready and I'm planning to go snowshoeing and do a stealth hang either tonight or tomorrow night. Yeehaa!
    COOL!
    arizona and snow don't seem to go together (obviously elevation matters). How normal is this?
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Neat picture!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Flagstaff gets a lot of snow every year. We're at 7000 feet elevation and home to the highest peak in Arizona, Mount Humphreys (12,633 feet), which also gets a lot of snow every year. This current storm is part of the pacific storm front that is coming in waves.

Southern California is getting pummeled right now with rain (evacuations, even, because of flooding). We're expecting a few more feet over the next few days. Apparently Phoenix has also received a lot of moisture, over half what they get in a year!

Check the weather radar in the Southwest. It's cool.

Hammock
    HH Expedition,HH Scout ,DIY rigs
    Tarp
    Chinnock Tarps
    Insulation
    Sb & DYI UQ
    That is just awsome,,,, now ya need a white hammock and tarp.....
    "Proud Pound Hawg"
    Republic of Texas H.O.G. (Hennessy Owners Group)

dejoha - What UQ are you going to use ?

I went to NAU and had the joy of living in Flag for 4 years. I absolutely love it can't wait to visit again.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Counselor View Post
    dejoha - What UQ are you going to use ?

I went to NAU and had the joy of living in Flag for 4 years. I absolutely love it can't wait to visit again.
    I've got a brand-spankin' new Stormcrow Crowsnest just waiting to get some more use. It's got a little bit of overstuff, so it's extra lofty.

I work at NAU! Yes, Flag is wonderful. I think this is more snow than "normal," but some of the old timers tell me that this is not uncommon. I've heard that the past few years have been relatively dry. I just celebrated my 1-year anniversary in Flag yesterday!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Flagstaff gets a lot of snow every year. We're at 7000 feet elevation and home to the highest peak in Arizona, Mount Humphreys (12,633 feet), which also gets a lot of snow every year. This current storm is part of the pacific storm front that is coming in waves.

Southern California is getting pummeled right now with rain (evacuations, even, because of flooding). We're expecting a few more feet over the next few days. Apparently Phoenix has also received a lot of moisture, over half what they get in a year!

Check the weather radar in the Southwest. It's cool.
    Yep, and I'm headed out tomorrow for an overnighter. I'm supposed to do a snow camp out with the scouts...but they are canceling due to snow of all things We will probably just stay closer to the valley and deal with the rain. Doesnt sound like a good trade off to me. I would camp in the snow vs rain any day. Either way I figure it will be a good test of my 14x10 tarp. I figure if that cant keep me dry then nothing short of staying home will

Images
    I've got a brand-spankin' new Stormcrow Crowsnest just waiting to get some more use. It's got a little bit of overstuff, so it's extra lofty.

I work at NAU! Yes, Flag is wonderful. I think this is more snow than "normal," but some of the old timers tell me that this is not uncommon. I've heard that the past few years have been relatively dry. I just celebrated my 1-year anniversary in Flag yesterday!
    Going strictly by possibly faulty memory, and based on the data only through the mid 80s, average was about 80-100" per year, and the record year was ~205". I think the average up at AZ Snowbowl, a short distance from Flagstaff an at ~9500 feet, is ~250" per year. All these figures were before the recent years of extreme drought, so maybe the averages have changed. All quite impressive considering this is in the state where all the snowbirds go to for escaping winter and snow. What a difference a 3 hour drive(from Phoenix and even a bigger dif from Bullhead City) makes.

The 1st year( of two) I lived there, I was all gung ho to learn snow skiing and other winter living skills. The ski resort was barely open that year, due to drought. I don't think we got over 2 feet that year, still more than I ever get here in MS. The next year we got ~120" in town, and way more up at the Snowbowl. That was a year of high adventure indeed.

Boy, I have missed living in Flagstaff for 25 years now. Although, living in a SLC, Utah suburb during the 2 years after I left Flag, was pretty cool too. Those 2 years really honed my skiing skills. 45 minutes from 11 different ski resorts. Some of which AVERAGED 500" a year! but there is just something extra magical about my Flag memories. I do visit every few years.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Whooooooo .... kinda looks like home! Minnesota.
    Snowful Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast