Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

pictures

These creatures are known as "mini-bears" at Philmont Boy Scout Ranch. Tend to be more of threat to food than their larger brethren.

Grizz

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Those pics are GREAT! LOL

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Are those the feral free range West Virginia chipmunks I've been hearing about? How did anyone ever get that close for a picture?

Just look at those sharp. pointy. teeth!

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    They don't like hikers/campers. Wild boar actually scare me more than the alligators down here. I have not seen any, but have heard bad stories. The good thing about them is they can't climb trees.
    I encountered two this past weekend in the Sipsey Wilderness in Alabama while hiking with a friend. Neither was aggressive, thankfully.

The first we passed while hiking on the trail, but it was traveling through the woods in the opposite direction about 40 yards on the slope above us. It seemed not to even notice our presence.

The second came 'rooting' into camp at about 4:30am the next morning. When I heard the sounds, I peeked and let my eyes adjust to the figure approching in the darkness. When it got closer than I liked (maybe 20 yards) I let out a series of low-pitched noises to try to dissuade it from approching any further. I guess that was enough to startle it because it turned and left. I heard it circumnavigate the camp on the ridge above us and continue along.

I don't know if either was a truly wild boar or a feral hybrid. Those were the first I've ever encountered on the trail, and I'm thankful that there was no apparent aggression.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I have zero experience with them which is probably why I'm still a little scared of them; ignorance = the boogeyman and all that. I know that several of the hog hunters here have lost dogs hunting those things, so I assume they can be pretty nasty. I know they outweigh my lard-butt by a couple hundred pounds and they do have some big nasty ol teeth, fangs, whatever.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I have zero experience with them which is probably why I'm still a little scared of them; ignorance = the boogeyman and all that. I know that several of the hog hunters here have lost dogs hunting those things, so I assume they can be pretty nasty. I know they outweigh my lard-butt by a couple hundred pounds and they do have some big nasty ol teeth, fangs, whatever.
    How tall are they? I mean, how high would I have to hang my hammock if for instance I were expecting some to come through at 4 in the morning?

- Mark Twain
    - John Burroughs

Images
    Yeah, all the animal encounters where I've lost food were with animals much smaller than me. Flying squirrels, racoons, chipmunks have all been guilty of raiding my food.

The coons, were a family, one of the small ones shimmied down the rope hanging the food pack and then proceeded to throw it down to the rest.

Flying squirrel, chewed a hole in the side and helped himself to some really nice trail-mix/granola...

Chippies just get into everything even when you're there watching and even cooking....

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    How tall are they? I mean, how high would I have to hang my hammock if for instance I were expecting some to come through at 4 in the morning?
    On all fours, the ones I saw were between 24 and 30 inches tall, but are quite long/wide.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    I've never been close enough to one to give you anything more than a guess, but I suspect your butt would need to be 3 or 3.5 feet off the ground for you to not get bumped. Honestly don't know, haven't had any close encounters yet. I'll ask one of my hunter buddies for a better idea.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Thanks. Just curious.

- Mark Twain
    - John Burroughs

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast