Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images

Thumbs up Adjustable Structrual Ridgeline Test/Review

I was recently granted the priviledge of testing out one of opie's 1.75mm Adjustable Structural Ridgelines.

The timing was perfect, since I was beginning to make a new hammock.

The Adjustable Structural Ridgeline is basically a longer Whoopie sling, which you can quickly and easily add to your hammock ends or suspension to adjust and set the hammock sag. It functions the same as any other structural ridgeline, but it makes the often tedious task of getting the ridgeline length just right a snap!

When I first took the ASR out of the envelope, I was very impressed by the quality of the workmanship. Everything was neat and tidy, and very well done! I was sent a grey ASR, like the one in the photo (on the scale). The weight was the same as pictured- 7g. :

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...170#post197170

I found it very easy to install by putting my Chainlink suspension loop through the loop on the ASR, then forming my Larks head as usual (my Larkshead is double wrapped).

Since I have yet to make more than one hammock out of the same fabric, or the same length, I did not have a "standard" ridgeline length to go by. It was extremely helpful to be able to simply and quickly adjust the ridgeline length, rather than tie and untie knots repeatedly to get the sag set just right. I see this as a major advantage to diy hammockers.

I ended up settling upon my ridgeline being 101". I had a fair amount of excess line leftover. I think it might be possible to make the ASR a bit shorter, and still have plenty of 'just incase' length left. I looped my excess line up around the end of the hammock, but I imagine if given enough thought, the excess could be used for some creative purpose without compromising the ridgeline in any way.

I think the adjustability would be a plus when loaning a hammock to a less experienced hammocker, or to a growing child, or whenever there might be occasion for a varying sag for individualized comfort.

In order to see if hammock setup, takedown, or stuffing would have any effect on the length I had adjusted my ridgeline to, my hammock was taken down, stuffed into a sack, and set back up 7 different times, in various weather situations, including high wind with rain.

Each time I set the hammock back up, I carefully measured the ASR to see if there was any change in the measurement. There was none.

Using a carabiner, I hung a full, 1L water bottle from the ridgeline, along with some other smaller items overnight. Not surprising, there was no effect upon the rideline.

I highly recommend opie's Adjustable Structural Ridgelines! Whether making a hammock, or adding a ridgeline to an existing hammock, the ease of installation and adjustability should take away the fuss-factor for anyone finding the ridgeline addition frustrating. The light weight of the ASR is a real plus as well!

My great thanks to opie for allowing me the opportunity to test one of his Adjustable Structural Ridgelines. It really did help to add to the fun of making my hammock! I'm definitely hooked! Anyone interested can check out his website at http://whoopieslings.com/

Perkolady

*apologies for the quality of the photos. I had to borrow daughter's new camera
    Last edited by Perkolady; 01-22-2010 at 12:41.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe 2Q's MOD 3
    Tarp
    Large HH Tarp
    Insulation
    XL 3in self inflat
    Suspension
    Whoopiesling/strap
    Wonderful review and pics.

I see the ASR as a needed item for my DIY hammock making trials.

off topic...OOPS

Tom
    Last edited by TOB9595; 01-22-2010 at 10:35. Reason: DUH on me moment

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Very nice review. Thanks for the pics. I usually never "get it" unless there are pics! Lots of extra line there. If I wanted to cut some of that off, would there be a downside to that?
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
    Lots of extra line there. If I wanted to cut some of that off, would there be a downside to that?
    After discussing this briefly with opie in a PM, he cautioned against cutting off too much, but once your RL length is set, cutting off some would be fine.

Perhaps opie can elaborate. He explained it much better than I could...

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TOB9595 View Post
    I see the ASR as a needed item for my DIY hammock making trials.
    Tom,
    After using the ASR, I don't think I could ever go back..... What a difference!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Perkolady, thank you for the review!! Hopefully it is helpful to those on the fence about a RL. IMo, it does make a world of difference.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
    Very nice review. Thanks for the pics. I usually never "get it" unless there are pics! Lots of extra line there. If I wanted to cut some of that off, would there be a downside to that?
    Happy... Yes once you get your ideal length figured out, you can cut some off. But keep in mind, lets say you leave 1 foot of extra line in the tail. That affords you only 6 inches of adjustment left to increase the length of the RL. Thats why the tail is so long, divide the total length of the tail by 2 and thats what you have for adjustment.

If folks have an ideal measurement they would like their Adjustable Ridgeline, I can do it. Im all about custom work.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I've thought about an ASRL, but don't know what I would do with all that extra line hanging down in my hammock, in my face or on my feet. What are some of the uses you've thought of for it, or how have you worked out where to put it?

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Once you find the right length, you might want to mark the line to provide a visual reference.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    I've thought about an ASRL, but don't know what I would do with all that extra line hanging down in my hammock, in my face or on my feet. What are some of the uses you've thought of for it, or how have you worked out where to put it?
    For my tester, I ran the extra back up and through a biner. I realize this doesnt help those with a hammock with a net.

I wonder, after you find your ideal length, what an ideal amount of adjustment would be? 6", 1'?

Hammock
    ENO doublenest
    Tarp
    CCS Tundra Tarp
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings AHE
    I put my on this afternoon. I really liked that I could dial in the hang fast. Many thanks to Opie for that fast shipping and well made product.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast