Ol' ugly
    Tarp
    Hanger12/ DIYasym
    Insulation
    Bandit/Pheonix
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by T- Minus View Post
    Emptying out the mini bar and throwing all the furniture off the balcony into the pool will also do the trick. Note the higher the floor the longer the ban but you get more style points among the bellhops.
    "But I just wanted to watch Jerry Springer by the pool" LOL!

Blackheath is right though, in some situations, there is no convincing. You just have to enjoy the time in the woods without your significant other.
    Where the trail ends the adventure begins!

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Under/top quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Some great ideas! Thanks! You all are the best!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Troll View Post
    Easy fix, take said hammock and string between two trees in Hilton parking lot. Build fire ring, safety first, and fire. Call room service for after hour beverage.

Two things will happen.
    1) GF will see how much fun your having and want to join.
    2) The local authorities will likely be called to remove you and they will probably ask you not to step foot back on Hilton property (any where).

P.S. Do not shoot fireworks you could be removed forcibly. (Dont ask how I know)
    I don't think that will work. We both make good money, and she is fun to be with at the car shows we go to. She is definitely worth a nice hotel room and room service.
    Blackheart

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HGCub/Deluxe Spinn
    Insulation
    HGP/SSF/JRBHR/HGBu
    Suspension
    line/ring/strap
    This is an age, and age of marriage, kind of thing, son. Questions and issues regarding spouses and marriage change over time. For instance...my sainted wife and I have a number of decades of mutual love and respect. I'm retired and she still teaches. When she got home today, she asked how I spent the day. I know she doesn't care if I was hanging from 7/64" Amsteel or a steel coat hangar, just that I was busy and productive. Told her I spent the afternoon on a garden project and watered the lawn. All true--I surveyed the yard and listened to the sprinklers from the hammock. She's happy and I'm happy. And when everyone's happy, we have a happy marriage. (Note to self: anniversary on the 15th, schedule a dinner out for two.)
    CMFSAT

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Also better get her some flowers.
    Blackheart

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    LLG, HG, EE
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I used to be that person who hated the outdoors and didn't understand the hype. I'm from Philly, born and raised, and the beach was (still is!) my calling. 8 years ago, I started dating an outdoors woman who grew up on a 500-acre dairy farm, whose bachelor's degree is in agronomy (soil science), who hunts and fishes, and whose ideal weekend getaway was setting up a tent in her stepdad's field instead of a B&B. We are very different, but that difference appealed to me. She took me on jeep rides in the country (CJ7), we went fishing, and of course, glamping at campgrounds. She made me as comfortable as possible during these activities, including granting some requests I had (such as buying a canopy for our camping supplies so that we could get out of the tent if it rained or the bugs were crazy). We also went on a lot of day hikes, and all of this satisfied my outdoor pursuits... I didn't want to go hunting with her, for example, but I supported her decision to go out and do that. What we were doing was enough for me.

I never imagined that I would do anything remotely like backpacking... I hate bugs, I hate going to the bathroom in the woods, I hate being cold, and in general, I love luxuries. But, if you have enough positive exposure to something (like the outdoors), maybe you can imagine yourself possibly doing it. The backpacking bug hit me after I read the book Wild. I thought that was maybe something I could do - I liked the challenging aspect of it, the way you could walk to a place that not a lot of people can see/get to. It took me a few years but I finally started researching supplies I would need to go, and then slowly started purchasing them. My partner was all for it, seeing she's really into the outdoors, and started getting supplies as well. Eventually we tested our backpacking tent at a campground - she loved it, I hated it. It was nowhere like the queen air mattress I was used to in our 6-person glamping tent. It was cramped and it hurt my body and I got a horrible night's sleep. I knew that if I was going to like backpacking, I would need to figure out this sleeping stuff.

We already had an ENO, which I loved and took naps in, so the thought of camping out in a hammock wasn't totally far-fetched to me. Quickly switched to this setup and my partner still uses her tent, which she loves. I had asked her about a year ago if she ever considered hammocking, and she wasn't into it. Now, over the last year since I've worked on my setup and learned more, I'm less frustrated and enjoying myself more. My setup is quicker. I think she sees that. A good friend of ours also hammocks and we geek out over stuff a lot. I've also sent her some Shug videos about general camping stuff, and she's taken it upon herself to start looking through other videos that are hammock-related. I can see that my partner's interest has peaked, most likely from a combination of all these things, because she asked me to bring my Warbonnet BB to our Maine vacation (where were are staying at a cabin with trees, not camping). She wants to spend some time in it to check it out. I just told her that of course I was bringing it and didn't say more than that, although inside I'm pretty excited! I hope she ends up loving it and gets into hammocking with me, but I'm not going to push anything... just let her check things out and hope for the best!

Anyway, I told this long story to bring up a couple of points:

1. I don't relate to partner's hunting obsession, but I understand it's a passion of hers. She has a ton of clothes, gear, etc. It's just not my thing. But I do know what it's like to have a hobby - I am an avid amateur photographer and a roller derby player and I sink a ton of money into those things. She would never consider spending $1,000 on a camera lens. You know, sometimes we're never going to be into what our partner is into, and that's OK. You want this kind of variety in your relationship, IMO. You gotta have a passion or two of your own. Like others have said, you may have to get used to being outside by yourself.

2. Her lack of understanding of the joy of hammocks may come from not being a big outdoorsy person. Figure that out, because you don't want to put someone in a hammock who hates being outside or bugs or whatever without easing them into it. If you can get her to enjoy the outdoors a bit, and then put her in a hammock with a good book or to take a nap, she might actually come around and start taking interest.

3. I still hate bugs, pooping outside, and being cold. I love hotels and vacations where I rent a house and there is an infinity pool in the backyard. I also now love the woods and camping. There can be room for both!

4. I am proof there is still hope. Make her comfortable if you do do things outside and keep it positive. And don't push anything on her... she'll see you enjoying yourself so much that her interest might eventually be sparked.

Oh yea! I went backpacking last weekend with friends - 2 people were in tents and 2 were in hammocks. We all got a chance to check each other's gear out, ask questions, etc. By the end of the trip, one of the tenters was convinced on the value of a lightweight tarp, while they continued to tent camp. We never said, "you should hammock!" but they could see how much we loved it and that alone made them consider it. Maybe eventually we'll get everyone into a hammock, who knows, but like someone else mentioned, the best way to get people interested is to really just do your thing and answer any questions people may have after they see you loving it

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    MW Monster
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies
    I always tell my wife that it could be much worse. it's late and I could be out gambling, in the bar or strip joint. Instead in sitting here at the table sewing. I't taken awhile, but she gets it.
    I would rather be in the woods... my dog would rather be in the pool. My wife thinks we are both nuts.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    I usually lack the patience to read really long posts, but that one was well written, and worth my time. Thanks!
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Dutch Poly D
    Tarp
    WallyWorld DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Whatever it takes
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    My wife doesn't even try to understand anymore! She just ignores me and offers the occasional "uh-huh" or "oh, yea" of support. We both know she's doing it. But she is also an amateur photographer, and we both know I do the same to her when she starts talking f-stops, pixels, and macros!
    That may be your serious face, but I can't take you seriously with it on. -- Puppet, The Upside Down Show

My wife says she is willing to try a hammock.
    She already like camping, hiking, backpacking, etc.
    I collect vintage camp stoves.
    I roast coffee at home.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast