WB RR
    Tarp
    SLD WH
    Insulation
    MH 0 Bag/LL 0 RR
    Suspension
    STRAPS

RIDGERUNNER QUESTION

Would like to know if what I've discovered in hanging my new RR is typical or am I perhaps not doing something correctly. The distance between trees is 13 1/2' which is a tad more than the minimum distance suggested on the enclosed printed installation instructions.

The top side hems are flexible when it's unoccupied but lying in it and those same hems become almost as hard as if there will some sort of metal in them. Not very comfortable feeling if my arm or leg is pressed against them, or draped over. Aside from that it seems to be all of the positives things that have been reviewed by so many others.

Also was wondering if anyone knows what the small pieces of cord are for that I found in a plastic bag stuck in one of the saddle bags.

Any and all feedback in connection with this would be helpful.

Hammock
    SLD - Trail Lair, 90 degree Gamma
    Tarp
    Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Anything Down
    Suspension
    Good stiff rope
    Images
    In my experience, the rigidity of the side hems is always very stiff. I don't notice it when sleeping, but when you use the RR as a chair it can get a bit uncomfortable. You'll love the RR. It's a great hammock. I'm guessing, but I think the strings are for drip protection.

Yep small cordage is for drip lines. Try different length bars for the head end. Adjusting them will make the hammock sleep differently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTraveler View Post
    Would like to know if what I've discovered in hanging my new RR is typical or am I perhaps not doing something correctly. The distance between trees is 13 1/2' which is a tad more than the minimum distance suggested on the enclosed printed installation instructions.

The top side hems are flexible when it's unoccupied but lying in it and those same hems become almost as hard as if there will some sort of metal in them. Not very comfortable feeling if my arm or leg is pressed against them, or draped over. Aside from that it seems to be all of the positives things that have been reviewed by so many others.

Also was wondering if anyone knows what the small pieces of cord are for that I found in a plastic bag stuck in one of the saddle bags.

Any and all feedback in connection with this would be helpful.
    I would increase the span length. Mine hangs best at around 18-20 feet. But, as mentioned previously, the sides are pretty stiff. In fact, the whole hammock feels stiff when compared to a gathered end. Works great once you get used to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Those "top hems" are the load carrying portion of the hammock and yes they are very uncomfortable if you want to lay something like a leg or arm across them.

What you're feeling on the side seams is just the nature of a bridge hammock. All of your body weight is concentrated in a very small amount of material, hence very high tension.

Make sure you pitch the foot end higher than the head end. This will keep you positioned in the hammock so you don't slide down toward the foot end. If I don't do this I always wind up sliding down which positions me in the narrower section of the hammock. It is much more comfortable slid all the way to the head end.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    The two furthest apart trees in my backyard that I regularly hang from are about 13 to 13 1/2 feet and they work fine. A bit more distance would be better, but since planting a new tree and waiting ten years for it to get big enough isn't an option, I'll work with what I have!

As pointed out the straps/top hem do get tight when weighted. Think of it like a suspension bridge like the Golden Gate. The straps are the suspension cables and the fabric is like the bridge deck. Remember remember remember to never grab the spreader bars to adjust your position in the hammock. Hold the top strapping and use that to help you adjust your position! It's strong enough to do that. The spreader bars are not.

Over time I've found I can rest legs and arms over it if I do it right. I'm 6'2" and so have longer arms and legs and I don't even notice it anymore.

I think you've made a great choice with the Ridgerunner.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Clifton View Post
    I would increase the span length. Mine hangs best at around 18-20 feet.
    I have to agree on the 18-20 feet span. Any close than that and it doesn't hang right IMO
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Suspension
    Beckett hitch
    Images
    Think of them as the main suspension cables of a suspension bridge.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast