WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben fiber
    Insulation
    DYI UQ/TQ Down
    Suspension
    whoopee sling

Trail Days 2010

I plan to hike from Erwin Tn to Domascus Va in May. I am planing the trip so that I hike into trail days, arriving on the 12 th of May. This is the first time I am carying a hammock, and all the videos of trail day showing tent city are devoid of hammocks. . I'm going to spent the 13th and 14th, at the event and I would like to know is ther going to be a place to hang? Also how safe is your gear sitting in a hammock all day or do I need to plain to carry it around with me?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    There will be plenty of hammocks at Trail Days; more every year for the last three years. Near the parking lot for tent city is an area marked as "Quiet Area". It is fairly heavily wooded and is where you'll find the highest concentration of hangers. But, walk into the trees anywhere around tent city and you're likely to find a hammock.

I've never had problems with my gear left in my hammock under the tarp. Not to say there are no bad-evil-should be beaten within an inch of existence-people at Trail Days stealing gear. I've just been lucky enough to avoid them so far. If you know someone there with a car, it's not a bad idea to throw your pack and quilts inside while you're away.

You know there are a few of us hiking into Trail Days. You are welcome to join us.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben fiber
    Insulation
    DYI UQ/TQ Down
    Suspension
    whoopee sling
    thought there might be more replys

Quote Originally Posted by traftonm View Post
    thought there might be more replys
    this is being discussed in the trip planning area.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL Snipe
    Tarp
    OES10x12catcutSpin
    Insulation
    Yeti,HG
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    What day are you starting? Me and a friend will be starting at 19E headed for Damascus. Do you hike high mileage days or is it multiweek trip?

Hammock
    DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    There were a couple of people ripped off in some of the more popular tenting areas a few years ago. The hammockers are so far back in the woodsy swamp that no one is going to be able to find your hammock, maybe not even you if you've been partying. Besides, all the other hangers in the area would string up the thief with whoopie slings.
    .. truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. - Herman Melville

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben fiber
    Insulation
    DYI UQ/TQ Down
    Suspension
    whoopee sling
    Quote Originally Posted by vitamaltz View Post
    There were a couple of people ripped off in some of the more popular tenting areas a few years ago. The hammockers are so far back in the woodsy swamp that no one is going to be able to find your hammock, maybe not even you if you've been partying. Besides, all the other hangers in the area would string up the thief with whoopie slings.
    I am glad to hear the last part. Its been my expreanct that most people do not want to get involved and just look the other way.

“off WB

Trail Days 2010 - Camping information

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Camping at Trail Days will be different this year, with the old open camping areas being converted to ballfields. You can see a map of the camping area for this year at this site: http://www.traildays.us/lodging.html.

Next year we will be able to use the parking area being built plus one of the ballfields, but this year is transitional. The Trail Days committee is recommending that no camping fees be charged this year. We will update the information on the website as things develop.

We are recommending that groups that want to camp together (Billville, Miss Janet, Trail Talk, Riff Raff, etc.) send someone in early to stake out some territory. And bring some brush-cutting tools if you do this.”
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

• + New Posts