Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap

Which Clark Jungle Hammock to buy?

I have just about convinced myself that I need / want a Clark hammock. I looking at the North American, NX150 and the NX250. Due their 4 season capabilities. I am 6'3" tall and weigh 220lbs. The comfort graphs of the various hammocks on the Clark website. Show that at my height and weight I should be comfortable in any of the three. The North American and the NX150 have the same dimensions at 47.5 wide and 96.5 long. With the essential difference being the separate fly and flexible poles on the NX150. The NX250 is 50.25 wide and 108.5 long basically 3' wider and 12 inch longer. With the North American at $299, the NX150 at $379 and the NX250 at $419. Obviously the NX250 being the roomiest of the three would be the most comfortable. And I assume would have more head room when sitting up. I value the thoughts and opinions of the members here. I tend to move around allot in my sleep. IE: on my back for awhile then roll to one side or the other for awhile. So would the NA and the 150 being narrower restrict my movement? I am sure that there a members here who are of a similar size to me. Who either own or have used the various hammocks that I am considering. What are your thoughts and opinions? The NA price at $299 looks really appealing. But would I be comfortable in it or the 150? I have a Speer winter tarp so if I went with the NX150 or NX250 I could knock off $55 of the price of either one $319 or $379 respectfully. My head is spinning and I do not know which direction to turn. It's allot of money no matter which way I go. I want to make sure that I spend my money wisely. The extra room of the NX250 really looks appealing. But is it that much a improvement over the other two. To justify the additional bucks. HELP!

Hammock
    Clark n150
    Tarp
    el cheepo
    Insulation
    figuring it out
    Suspension
    ropes/drip rings
    Images
    I have to say I loveeee the weather guard in winter! am5' 9 and felt like at a recent hang where I tried a bunch of other hammocks that it "held its own" at least. (that means I am happy with my purchase)...
    The Pockets have not been very useful to me in the winter but in summer they might be.

I wish I had a chance to see the 150 *mine* and compare it hanging at some point to a NA first so I can't really comment on that comparison. I also would have liked to see a 150 next to a 250 and try them both. Maybe if you go to mount rogers you can try a bunch of hammocks first?

Hammock
    Clark TX-250 Camo
    Tarp
    10X10 or 12X12
    Insulation
    Clark Z liner
    Suspension
    rings and straps
    Images
    I've owned a NA and now have a NX-250. Pretty big improvement, IMHO.

Can't comment on the 150...I have no experience with it.

Save your pennies and go with the 250, would be my suggestion.

(BTW, I'm 6' and 285 and the 250 is luxuriously roomy for me! Can't say enough good things about it.)
    Yesterday's tomorrow is tomorrow's yesterday. It's the only day that counts.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    I am 6'3" tall
    You will not be happy with any of the standard length Clark Hammocks. You will need the longer 200 series. I am 5'10" and feel that I am at the max with the standard series.

Just my opinion Wife says its not worth much

I really like the Clark but for the price of the 250 you can get another brand and a really nice UQ for less than the cost of the NX250. Just saying
    With that said after you get over the cost you will be happy with the larger Clarks

Hammock
    Clark Camo NX-250
    Tarp
    EOS 4 Season
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20&#7
    Suspension
    JRB Whoopie Sling
    I just bought the nx-250 myself. It's scheduled to be here on the 27th. One of the reasons I chose the nx-250 was the comments from others on how roomy it felt. I'm 5' 10" and 245, 244, 243...(I'm on a diet) and wanted to have the best experience possible being as this is my first hammock. Go for the 250. I know it a bit more expensive, but the extra room and comfort will go a long way on the trail. IMHO.
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, just pee on it and walk away.

Slinky

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark RX-250
    Suspension
    Custom
    I've been trying to decide the right hammock as well. I spoke with Clark today and asked them about 20 questions. The pros to a NX250 are 4 season, tuck away weather shield, velcro pockets, the tent poles (which replace roping the ridgeline). I was trying to decide between the tx200 and nx250. I am going to costa rica for a month and a half but I live in the states. Clark said the tropical and the nx250 breath about the same. The differences are the tx200 has pocket flaps to prevent spiders falling in (because they can't get out), and the ability to add insulation, and the rx250 tarp. The weather shield is optional but if you decide the weather shield they aren't removable but you can tuck it away.

I think the NX250 is the way to go. Yeah I will be carrying almost a pound more which really isn't a lot. The NX250 is a quicker setup with regards to the ridgeline. Makes it a lot roomier too which I like also.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Trpl
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    GoLite Ultra 20
    Suspension
    1/8" Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I have one an NX-250 with Z-liner for sale in the FS forum. You'll save almost $130 and it's only been used twice.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=13909.

Hammock
    Clark NA
    Tarp
    Stock Rain Fly
    Insulation
    Thermarest Trail
    Suspension
    Clark Drip Ring
    I bought the North American. I was pretty worried honestly about it considering all the comments people were saying it was tight on them at 5'9 but I'm 6'3 260 and I didn't really have any problems with it. It's snug but not unbearable by any stretch. I really like the premise of the 250 but I didn't like the idea of having camping poles with it. I like to hike so all the extra weight and items to pack made me stick with the NA, not to mention it's a couple hundred cheaper.

Hammock
    Kalisto
    Tarp
    Funky Forest
    Insulation
    One Tigris
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    I have the NA , I am 6'1 about 230lbs. and it is very comfortable to me.I think you fit nicely in there

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I just returned from a snowy Adirondacks NY trip. It was my first time out in the NX 250. I would highly recommend the 250 at your size. I'm 6'2" 180lbs and found it very spacious. The spreader bars keep the netting nice and tight and actually do spread the hammock out to the sides.

The weathershield was awesome. My three friends slept in a lean -to and all said they were a liitle chilly. I was in the Clark with the shield up and was dry and toasty. I had an UQ and Thermarest for insulation.

I had to anchor the guy lines with small branches secured in the snow. In fact they were so secure I had to use an ice ax to remove them.

There are only two minor annoyances I've discovered with the Clarks. One is the zipper system. Sometimes it is difficult to move the zipper past the corners. I believe that is a result of how loose or tight you hang the hammock. The other is the poles. They do not fit in the hammock pouch and are not shock corded. I used rubber bands and carried them on the outside of my pack. To solve the problem I am now using a seperate carry bag which is tube shaped and about the same length as the stakes. Everything fits in there well including the stakes. There is a thread here about shortening the stakes and I may consider that later. For now the tube works well.

I am totally happy with the NX 250...zero regrets about buying it. It's a true four season hammock.

On a side note...Algonquin kicked my sorry butt. I need to work more on the legs and cardio.

Miguel
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast