Juniper Custom
    Tarp
    HG DCFF w/doors
    Insulation
    etherial0's hg20's
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Secondmouse View Post
    are you responding to my post just above, on the 20* Bandit I just received, or just in general? either way, I guess I wouldn't know unless I had two different quilts on hand to weigh, I'd just have to trust the seller...

but after having the discussion I had with Paul about the program they use to determine the proper fill volume for each individual chamber, I am very impressed with their attention to detail and confident that the extra ounce is distributed proportionally throughout. the footbox has it's own formula of fill based on warmth of feet, shape/size, "bridging", and other factors and you can request additional fill just for the footbox. it was all thought out and scientific, not haphazard.

here's the thing - the Bandit is a new style of quilt with vertical baffles tapering down into a horizontal baffle footbox. It's a new design and the worrier in me said, "why not add just a touch more for insurance". it was introductory pricing so adding an extra ounce was still far below the regular price with no overstuff whatsoever.

I'm not expecting this quilt to be an "X" degrees warmer than its rating, I just wanted it to be "true" to it's rating. having met Paul and Missy, I realize now I had nothing to be worried about. truly good folk...
    No, It was not a stab at anyone in particular, in fact it lines up more to an experience in college. I had a Philosophy professor; His final exam was to have dinner with each student at his home. His wife cooked the meal, and he would watch every action and reaction you made. You had no idea what he was looking for until after the meal. and he explained; That in his first lecture on the very first day, He made a comment about "Trying out or going through an experience first..." , "before making any changes." So long story short, If you salted or peppered your meal before you tried it, your failed his exam that counted for 40% of your grade and would make it close to a fail if you didn't do any of the extra credit projects that he also discussed on day one.

So, with that experience I learned to try things before your perception of need is confirmed or not, The classic how will you know until you know Vs. You don't know what you need to know until you know, and then it is too little to late. In either case experience and application is your only basis for comparison without it your risking losing something before it is know or not if you need it, or if it has been already applied in advanced based on the vendors experience and relations with their costumer base.
    “ Do not correct a fool or he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will appreciate you.”
    ~ Bruce Lee

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    1oz and $8...it doesn't hurt. I like to think it has only helped me this far along.

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    I haven't gotten a quilt, but figured an extra ounce would be great when you begin losing down.. My home comforter has lost quite a bit of down..

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    LOL, I gave up reading The Thread at the beginning of that novel of a third post...

Here's a photo of this bird

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    Im betting that all of the important factors have been covered by now, so now I'm waiting for UGQ to come out with a limited time UGQ Special Shug Edition -50°F "Mid-western Blizzard" model, complete with Granny knitted Shug-face, face warmer.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234