Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    jeff, fwiw, the fill power is tested by putting a certain amount of down in a certain sized cylender and then placing a 1oz weight on top to see how much volume it fills while slightly compressed under the weight. it takes up alot more space when fully uncompressed.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Here was something I found as well...

""...To test the filling power, one ounce of down is compressed with a pre-determined weight. When the weight is removed, the down expands and the volume of space it occupies is measured in cubic inches."

This is an interesting site
    Owner/Founder at Hammockgear.com - Hammock Camping Outfitters
    Home of the Burrow, the Incubator, and the Phoenix

Images
    i'm almost certain the measurement is taken while the down is under compression of the weight (1oz weight)

here's what wiki says:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fill_power

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    yeah this is another one that confirms testing with the weight on it.

Feathered Friends FAQ
    Owner/Founder at Hammockgear.com - Hammock Camping Outfitters
    Home of the Burrow, the Incubator, and the Phoenix

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Haha - ok, ok, I admit defeat! I didn't know about the weight, so that takes away the weight of the nylon. Still the very dry lab conditions, though.

And something I hadn't thought about until I was typing that post was that for underquilts with a differential cut, the down isn't supporting the weight of the nylon. It's resting on the bottom (outer) layer and allowed to fully loft against the top (inner) layer. Since down in the lab is measured with the weight on it, in theory wouldn't that mean down used in a differentially cut underquilt lofts higher than down used in a top quilt? I wonder how that would work out in real life.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Clark NX-250, NX 270, D H Sparrow
    Tarp
    Clark XL, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ, LL UQ
    Suspension
    WS,straps,toggles
    Images
    Thanks a million for posting this question, and two million for all the informative answers. I have used down coats and sleeping bags all my life, but never knew what I was getting and how to compare. I have ordered my very first hammock (Clark NX-250) and am now looking at underquilt choices. This post is very timely. I have received some great suggestions through these forums, and will more than likely follow their advice. But now I have some firm means of comparing while I make my decision. Thanks again to all.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Waddy, good luck on deciding what quilt to purchase, it took me for ever to decide, so many good quilts, I eventually decided to Pair my WBBB with Stormcrows Winterptarmigan UQ and Burrow TQ. Look for my NJ Trip report some time next week.

All this down information is super helpful. It really makes me appriciate the gear so much more understanding how it works and the science behind it.

And Stormcrow thanks again for takeing the time to explain all that stuff last night over the phone to me. It again gave me a greater understanding of how these quilts work. It also gave me a great appriciation for how much time and effort you and all the other vendors put into makeing this gear. I cant wait to get my burrown and cuddle up with it this weekend.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12