Sorting through DIY setup thoughts

I could use some feedback on my plan for a DIY hammock kit. There are so many options I'm getting overwhelmed. I've car camped for years; this year I want to move more towards backpacking. My big upcoming trip is two nights in Ohio's Wayne National Forest in mid august. I will primarily be hauling gear by car, but if I can assemble enough backpacking gear by then the NF allows dispersed camping.

My #1 priority for hammock camping right now is keeping cost down. Weight, durability, and packing size I can change in later iterations and I would rather pay smaller amounts over time than one large amount, even if it ends up being more in the long run.

Hammock: I need a weight rating of 300+ lbs. I was thinking of the MakeYourGear.com netless hammock kit with Hexon 2.4 Includes suspension & stuff sack. $36.50

Bug net: tube style bug net (http://www.instructables.com/id/Hammock-Bug-Net-Cheap/) $15 for Walmart mosquito net. I have shock cord and cord locks on hand.

Tarp: regular blue tarp and stakes - all on hand

Non weight bearing rope: hammock ridgeline, tarp ridgeline, guylines; paracord on hand

Insulation: is what has me stumped. For my August trip, the need for an underquilt is unlikely (it was VERY warm at night when I tent camped the same dates last year). I have a sleeping pad on hand. My sleeping bag was lost last year, I need something to replace it with. I'd like to keep versatility high; it seems to me that a sleeping bag that unzips flat would be as good as a specialty top quilt at least in most weather?

Hammock
    HH Expl Dlx, Dutch 11'
    Tarp
    HH Hex, Tadpole
    Insulation
    HH SS, Jarbidge
    Suspension
    various
    Using a sleeping bag as top and bottom insulation in August in Ohio sounds pretty reasonable to me.

FWIW, you could pick up a Costco down throw quilt for ~$20, add on some shock cord, and have a functional under quilt. Do a search on the DIY forum for the Gemini quilt set project.

You could also use a poncho liner UQ for next to nothing. There are DIY project listed under "PLUQ", which stands for "poncho liner under quilt".
    Thanks,
    Ranc0r

Hammock
    Townsend Bridge
    Tarp
    Homemade Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ TR Pad
    Suspension
    Dogbones-Mule Tape
    Before I begin, I am not promoting any of the products I present, just laying out the gear I know and use.

Hammock: I used the gathered end Flagship-X double hammock. I have now slept in this hammock for 30 days straight, works great! It is $30 from Amazon, fully assembled and ready to use immediately. (Links a the bottom.)

Bug Net: You can DYI that easy, no worries there. I almost did that, but watch eBay and picked up a ENO bug net for around $40 and I love it, worth the price for me, but this is definitely a good DYI section.

Tarp: If you have good condition blue tarps, those can work just fine. You can also find new tarps cheap on Amazon if you look around, I got a 10’ x 12’ brown for $8 on a flash sale. Then go some cordage from WalMart meant to lift and tie down items for $1.40 per roll of 40’ so for cheap, you have good new rope. This sort of rope, again, meant for tying things down has worked great for me as a ridgeline.

Insulation: You will need something under you if it gets much below 70 degrees. For cheap? Get a roll of Reflectix from your local big box construction materials—I got a roll and have used that under me for a test and it worked well. You also may be able to snag a sleeping back off Craigslist if you keep watching for them. I would look for a backpacking sleeping bag of some sort, doesn’t need to be down…I am currently using an EMS 20 degree bag, synthetic insulation, I open it so it works like a top quilt.

If you are thinking it out now for an August trip, you have time to work it all out!

Hammock: $30 https://www.amazon.com/Flagship-X-su...ship-x+hammock
    Bug Net: $35 https://www.amazon.com/KING-OUTFITTE...ds=eno+bug+net
    Tarp: you have one
    Insulation:
    Under: $16 https://www.lowes.com/pd/Reflectix-3...5-ft-L/1014123
    Over: a sleeping back, watch Craiglist, or get inexpensive like this. $19 https://www.amazon.com/Body-Source-L...s=sleeping+bag

Quote Originally Posted by WICamper View Post
    I could use some feedback on my plan for a DIY hammock kit. There are so many options I'm getting overwhelmed. I've car camped for years; this year I want to move more towards backpacking. My big upcoming trip is two nights in Ohio's Wayne National Forest in mid august. I will primarily be hauling gear by car, but if I can assemble enough backpacking gear by then the NF allows dispersed camping.

My #1 priority for hammock camping right now is keeping cost down. Weight, durability, and packing size I can change in later iterations and I would rather pay smaller amounts over time than one large amount, even if it ends up being more in the long run.

Hammock: I need a weight rating of 300+ lbs. I was thinking of the MakeYourGear.com netless hammock kit with Hexon 2.4 Includes suspension & stuff sack. $36.50

Bug net: tube style bug net (http://www.instructables.com/id/Hammock-Bug-Net-Cheap/) $15 for Walmart mosquito net. I have shock cord and cord locks on hand.

Tarp: regular blue tarp and stakes - all on hand

Non weight bearing rope: hammock ridgeline, tarp ridgeline, guylines; paracord on hand

Insulation: is what has me stumped. For my August trip, the need for an underquilt is unlikely (it was VERY warm at night when I tent camped the same dates last year). I have a sleeping pad on hand. My sleeping bag was lost last year, I need something to replace it with. I'd like to keep versatility high; it seems to me that a sleeping bag that unzips flat would be as good as a specialty top quilt at least in most weather?
    I am going to be frank and say that the need for bottom insulation is necessary 99% of the time. The other 1% is when you are so comfortable tht you are able to sleep with no top layer....if you are able to sleep with no top layer,then yes, a bottom layer is probably not necessary.

With that said, any closed ceĺl foam that would keep you warm while sleeping on the ground, or any top quilt that will keep you warm will work if you hang it as a bottom quilt.

I hope you enjoy your trip. That is beautiful country.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Diy HyperD grey ghost
    Tarp
    Wb Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Diy
    Suspension
    whoopies straps ms
    Images
    The only thing I would add is : since you are ordering material to make a hammock from Dutchware you might as well add some zing-it to your order. You can get two 25 ft sections for $11.00 or a 180ft mini spool for $29.00 ( this will last you through many projects). Use that instead of the para cord. Lighter, stronger, longer lasting, water resistant, and almost no stretch. Great for ridgeline, tie outs, bear bags, hanging gear, you name it.
    " No sympathy for the devil. You buy the ticket, you take the ride." - Hunter S. Thompson

• + New Posts