View Poll Results: What kind of minimal (non-winter) tarp do you prefer?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • stock HH diamond

6 11.11%
  • other diamond (rectangular)

6 11.11%
  • MacCat Standard

23 42.59%
  • something like this one

3 5.56%
  • other

16 29.63%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: minimal tarp

Hammock
    DIY (&c.)

minimal tarp

Apparently, many find that the standard HH diamond tarp provides too little coverage. I have survived severe tropical storms with mine and the hammock stayed completely dry; however, I do hang within natural windbreak. Though even if the hammock stays dry, it can also be useful to have a patch of dry ground, and in that case, I do find the coverage to be a little too small.

I've been developing an asymmetrical, pentagonal tarp to solve this problem while remaining lightweight and compact. Of course, the MacCat and other hex tarps also meet these criteria but I prefer an asymmetrical profile for several reasons:

The asymmetry gives it four different footprints; i.e., four chances instead of one to fit into tight locations (which is especially important to me).

I prefer to use as few guy lines as possible and a single tie-out improves rain water collection and reduces splattering drip lines.

The dry area under a stereotypical hex tarp is elongated and lobed rather than central.

I also prefer to use flatter curves on the edges.

Comments?

Images
    tropical heavy rain are the easy ones to stay dry in, it's the rolling fog and mist you get in the colder months that's harder to block with a small tarp.

the asym design looks good.

Hammock
    DIY (&c.)
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    tropical heavy rain are the easy ones to stay dry in, it's the rolling fog and mist you get in the colder months that's harder to block with a small tarp.

the asym design looks good.
    It's not easy to stay dry in tropical rain driven by hurricane force winds.

Would you be interested in making one?

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Albert:
    From looking at the tarp that you are designing, it appears to be very similar to the Clark Tarp. Go to the Clark website and look at their tarp comparison section to see what I am talking about. On another thought, I would be interested if you would give some details as to the demisions of this proto-type tarp of your.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/Grizz Beak
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I think it's a good idea, I had thought about making something similar myself. I was thinking standard hex shape on one side(the side my hammock zipper is on) and single point on the other side(offset towards the head end, like you show).

The 2-point side would give extra coverage on the side I enter and exit, and room for cooking and lounging. The single-point side is around back where I don't have access to my hammock anyway.

As far as the depth of the catenary curve, I made my tarp with about 1/2" of depth per foot of length. This is half, or less, than what's recommended, but I found it to work just fine. My tarp pitches taut, with no wrinkles.

Jerry
    The "Search" function is your friend!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler/Blackbird
    Tarp
    HMG Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest & IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I have a cuben tarp that I acquired from Mountain Laurel Designs a couple years ago when they had a "funky prototypes" 1-day sale. It was a hex shaped tarp, 4' wide and 11' long. It weighs 3.9oz. I'm a little nervous about the limited side coverage for general use, but still include it in my summer SUL kit when not much rain is expected. In sunny AZ, that's most of the year. Of course this past week, we've had torrential rain and wind, but that happens infrequently. I'm definitely pulling out the big boy tarps this week.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Don't think I'd consider it minimal, but I voted MacCat Standard b/c that's the one I normally take. Also have a MacCat prototype and just a bit bigger than the stock HH that I think I'll like for summers...I've had it for a while but haven't used it b/c Joker usually goes with me. Should have more time to camp now, though, so I'll probably get in more solo trips.

It's interesting how the MacCat Standard used to be a pretty significant upgrade in size, and now it's being called minimal. Not only in this thread, but the trend for about 18 months now has been upgrading to tarps that I would consider massive. Even the 11x10 tarps are very good coverage, more than I usually need, but they're not big enough for lots of folks now.

I think people are looking for tent-style coverage, and that makes tarps like the Standard appear minimal. Not a good or bad thing...just a different approach that's become more popular lately. I prefer to keep my views open at the expense of some wind protection.

Re: your tarp design, I think it'll work. There's a very large tarp in the gallery (and a thread) where someone made a tarp with a porch...the result is just like you're talking about, only much larger and help up by trekking poles. I think it may have been 7 sides, though. Probably worth checking it out before you start building yours. IIRC he was satisfied with his project.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY (&c.)
    There are several votes for "other"; I'm curious to know what form those voters prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryW View Post
    As far as the depth of the catenary curve, I made my tarp with about 1/2" of depth per foot of length. This is half, or less, than what's recommended, but I found it to work just fine. My tarp pitches taut, with no wrinkles.
    Thanks; good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Don't think I'd consider it minimal [...] There's a very large tarp in the gallery (and a thread) where someone made a tarp with a porch...
    Yes, I suppose I should have been more clear about qualifying "minimal"; mostly, I meant to distinguish it from winter tarps.

Is it Greybeard's tarp you're thinking of?

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    I used the HH stock tarp once or twice - it was too small and too claustrophobic when I had to pitch it to keep weather out effectively.

My tarps are a MacCat Deluxe and a Cathedral (Preacha's Wife special) 10x12 with four tie outs per side. If I am expecting Real Weather(tm) I take the larger tarp. I have battened down with the MacCat by closing an end with a grip clip in strong wind and done very well just the same, though it was rather more claustrophobic than I like to have. The larger tarp gives me the option to close the ends and has done well staked straight down to the ground - still gives me room to cook and move around underneath, while blocking wind and rain.

What's minimal depends on your hammock.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Use my DIY small blackcat-ish tarp for almost all my trips.
    Has a lot of pitch options .... 14 ounces. I love it!
    Never had a problem with pitching it so far.
    Your idea is very, very interesting......
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast