Found DD camping hammock Horrible ..slippery and uncomfy ..help a newbie pls!

Hi Ladies and gents . . Let me explain my woes ...
    Firstly i don't or haven't yet hammock camped but have enjoyed lounging about , reading and relaxing generally, in cheap parachute type fabric hammocks which I find very comfy for those purposes.
    I tend to simply string them up and lay/sit in a curved/banana shaped position with feet and head raised ...often using a couple of inflatable pillows to support my back and head in a more upright position for watching the world go by or reading . i also often bring my feet in towards me and spread the knees which is also great . I've also started to encircle the whole lot in a cheap sleeping bag cocoon effect when colder which works well as temps aren't too low.
    I had a think recently that perhaps I could use a pad instead so bought a double layered DD camping hammock expecting ..with their excellent reputation to be equally if not more comfy than when using my 15 dollar ebay specials.
    I strung it up as usual and immediately noticed how uncomfy it felt in my usual position. there was a tight unyielding ridge under my back and lots of loose flapping material to the side. It was also very slippery which I didn't like and even when trying to position myself at an angle it felt rather unsafe re falling out ( i'm 1.88 220lbs). I presume all this is due to the material they use ..a basic non ripstop nylon which doubled up doesn't stretch much to cushion my curves. It felt hard and stiff ( ooer missus!) and i didn't like it at all.
    If you watch this video between approx 3mins 30 and 3.50 it may demonstrates what I'm trying to express although the chap ( not me ) seems very happy with it.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umPuXkGl7o0
    You'll see he seems to be lying directly on that tight ridge of material with lots of loose to the side. Hope you understand what I mean.
    Anyhow ..this hammock seems very popular so may I ask for your opinions ...is it not really a good choice for my needs . If you look at parachute ? ( taffeta ?) type hammocks they seem to lie better and have less loose flapping material ..eg the grand trunk double.
    Is the comfort/ a bit of give in the material for sitting/reading that I need much better in some materials than others or am i doing something wrong ? At the mo i'm going to stick with cheap and cheerful stretchy stuff but if anyone knows of an upgrade the please let me know!
    Thanks in advance
    WW

Hello,

What hammock did you purchase? I have the Frontline and my experience with it using a pad was... not the most comfortable.

I quickly swapped the suspension for whoopie slings which give it more of a gathered end feel than with the webbing.

My lay in this hammock is not very diagonal, but with the whoopies I am able to get a fairly flat lay.

I use my DD mostly for stealth campibg where I need to set up and take down as fast as possible and I am willing to give up a bit of comfort for that advantage.

If you have a picture of your setup I can tell you how mine differs or give you pointers to where you might be getting these issues from.

Sent from my SM-G389F using Tapatalk
    If you don't live life to the limit, how will you know when you overcome your own?

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    This might be what you are looking for in a hammock to sit and lounge, snooze and read. For me their hammocks are too short for my comfort (if sleeping overnight). They offer several styles and you might want to check dimensions before buying. Lots of hammock campers that have tried different hammocks have dialed their comfort zones to 11 feet long by Just over 5 feet wide. You can go larger or smaller depending on your style and needs.
    I say, Hike Your Own Hike and choose your own rig!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JMS ..it was just their basic hammock actually called "camping hammock"
    Phantom ..did you mean to provide a link when saying "this might be what you are looking for in ...?
    I presume it's the stretch in the lightweight parachute fabrics that I like but apparently others don't ?
    Anyone know what the stretchiest super light fabric that makes a half decent hammock would be ?

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    willywombat
    No, willywombat, I did not mean to provide a link...
    Phantom--the missing link...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by willywombat View Post
    JMS ..it was just their basic hammock actually called "camping hammock"
    Phantom ..did you mean to provide a link when saying "this might be what you are looking for in ...?
    I presume it's the stretch in the lightweight parachute fabrics that I like but apparently others don't ?
    Anyone know what the stretchiest super light fabric that makes a half decent hammock would be ?
    After looking up the hammock on their website it looks like the provided suspension is just rope. Personally, not a fan of rope suspension, but their whoopie slings cost more than your hammock.

I suggest experimenting with the taughtness of your suspension (how horizontal it is before you get in it) and if possible getting some straps so that you can adjust that more easily.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, DH's, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Bandit/ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Dutch Swag
    Not a fan of their hammocks at all... but their tarps are fantastic.

• + New Posts