Splicing 7/64ths Amsteel versus Zing It/Lash It?

I spliced my first 7/64ths Amsteel yesterday and was pleased with my success. Are the same steps and calculations used for splicing the thinner diameter Zing It/Lash It? If not, how are they different?

Yeah, basically the same. For 7/64th I use a loop turner ($3 at Walmart) whereas with Zing It I used thin diameter wire. Amstel is a pleasure to splice while Zing It is a pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 11' Hexon 1.6 wide
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Costco TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs, whoopies
    I found a set of 4-5 really long needles (one is about 10" long - perfect for whoopie slings) in the sewing section of Walmart for $1.98. I clipped the points off and rounded them smooth with a file. I really like using them to splice Amsteel and Zing it/Lash it. I insert the rounded end up to wherever I need it to open up the rope, then remove it, flip it over and push the eye end through. It makes the splicing easy. I've found it is a lot easier if you spin the taper so that it is closest to the rope before pulling it through to bury the tails. I've found that for some reason it works better that way.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by DarlBundren View Post
    I spliced my first 7/64ths Amsteel yesterday and was pleased with my success. Are the same steps and calculations used for splicing the thinner diameter Zing It/Lash It? If not, how are they different?
    Well... so when your splicing 7/64 or larger, your typically concerned with splice strength (like hold your body off the ground), so it's important to get the bury lengths correct.

When your splicing zingit/lashit, the bury length is not nearly as critical. A ridge line our tarp tie-out doesn't need to be as strong as the unsliced cordage (580 lbs). So I don't think your bury's have to be as long. I typically only make about 2-3" bury's on my zingit/lashit stuff. It makes splicing it a lot easier...
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    HH EUL, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HH Hex, DIY WASM
    Insulation
    DIY Gemini
    Suspension
    UCRs
    Here are some tools I have found useful for splicing ZingIt/LashIt:

6" SS ruler for measuring bury, loop, etc.; small Fiskars scissors (from Fiskars Oyj Abp, Finland, Fiskars is today a global company with headquarters in Finland where it was founded in 1649!), these are the best, just about the only, for cutting dyneema; surgeons Hemostat, locking tweezers, I like to use a McDonald Brummel for locking eye splices, http://www.animatedknots.com/brummelmcdonald/index.php , but until I found these it was extremely difficult to pull the eye through the inverted hole; gold knitting needle, which I stole from my wife, handy enlarging the side holes; sharp awl from my KAM snaps kit for starting the holes, Sharpie for marking locations; short blunt needle which I got from Dutch for pulling buries through ZingIt/LashIt, so short that 5" buries require two passes; long blunt needle that I "borrowed" from my wife, it had a sharp point which was not good when inserting down through a length so I filed the tip off, No. 1 Crochet needle, also "borrowed", which I used to pull the eye through the inverted hole before I discovered the Hemostat; small needle nose pliers for gripping the needle when pulling the bury through. Not shown, Dritz turner https://dutchwaregear.com/loop-turner.html which is great with Amsteel, but too big for ZingIt/LashIt.

BTW I still use long buries for everything since I don't want anything pulling loose (ridge line) in the middle of the night whether it drops me on my butt or not!
    Last edited by JackM; 06-12-2017 at 15:57.
    Hang your own hang,
    Do your own thang.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Create in me a clean heart, O God;
    And renew a right spirit within me. Psalm 51:10

Hammock
    WalhallaCustom11'
    Tarp
    Walhalla Winter
    Insulation
    LL0°,CRO20°
    Suspension
    CL's/Buckles/Etc
    Good call on the hemostats for pulling stuff through that hole!! I'll have to borrow from my fishing gear...

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    www.wildcherrywoodworks.com (my business)
    www.mainechopstick.com (my other business)
    www.4alloutdoors.org (a friend's site I do reviews for)
    www.curlymaplechronicles.blogspot.com (my personal blog)

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch 12' Winter
    Insulation
    CRO, J'R'B
    Suspension
    Dutch web/ beetle
    For zing-it I really like to use bait rigging tools for splicing. I have purchased a Korda brand in stainless steel and they have been awesome to use.
    They look some thing like this.

s-l225.jpg

• + New Posts