Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Can't seem to get comfortable in a hammock - looking for some help.

Cliff Notes:
    - Spent about half a dozen nights in a hammock and cannot get comfortable.
    - Looking for help getting a more comfortable hang.
    - Main rig is a Chameleon.

Hey guys, I've been into hammocks now for about 8 months or so and have invested somewhere north of $1,600 into them. I've been on about half a dozen trips with the hammock and can say that I'm certainly never cold in the hammock however I can also certainly say that in all the nights spent in the hammock, I've not had one decent night's sleep.

I love hammocks and I want so much for them to be as comfortable for me as they are for everyone else but I keep remembering what people say sometimes - "it isn't for everyone."

Maybe the community can provide some assistance here and keep me from going to ground. I have a Chameleon and I've slept in an ENO Junglenest as well as a cheap Chinese make hammock. I'm a side sleeper, I end up sleeping on my back often enough but I cannot fall asleep on my back, I fall asleep on my side and move around to my back in the night. I would love a bridge hammock but I exceed the weight limit for them. I'm not sure if a wide hammock would do me any better? I'm only 5' 9" and I've always understood wide hammocks to be best for taller individuals. I was also considering the Amok Dramur as an option too. I've had several suspensions and am currently using the beetle buckles and I have a nice 30 degree hang when I set up. Anything else that may help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    Steve

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Check out the posts for bridge hammocks for big guys. Many swear by them.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-Bigger-People

Hammock
    Depends on the day
    Tarp
    HG Hex, WBSF, WLTP
    Insulation
    HG UQ / UDQ TQ
    Suspension
    Dyneema Straps
    If you haven't already, watch the Shug Hammock How-To videos, lots of great info there.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...752777861C2AA8

Hammock
    currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an
    Wide hammocks are worth it if your on the wider side, more room and depending on the fabric you choose will effect how much sag. Try a 1.7 hex xl or 2.0 hex xl. Get the free bird version from dream hammocks use your own suspension
    Cheapest way. Also shoot papa smurf a email. He'll steer ya right

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    It's not the boulders that throw us off balance, it's the pebbles beneath our feet

Images
    Hi Stevie,
    There is a rather large group than love lounging in hammocks but just can't fall asleep. There are many theories out there as to why.
    For me it was a movement issue. My inter-ear would picking up the hammocks movement and I could not fall asleep.
    I solved this by setting up a hammock on my screened in porch and trying to fall asleep. If I couldn't Id bail to the bed. Over time I became used to the movement and now can sleep just fine. It was not over one or two night but several weeks. Good luck.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Like Outandback It takes many folks at least several consecutive nights to adjust. For many of us it takes our bodies a while to transition over to sleeping in a new "bed". For me sometimes I am good on the second or third night and sometimes it takes 4 or more nights. Long hard hiking miles help as does getting really sleepy first. I often stay up till much later than normal, staring at the fire, looking up at the stars, reading and so on help me. Another option is to take a sleeping pill....some Tylenol PM is a popular choice for hikers as it helps with any aches and pains from a long day on the trail. Helps you relax and drift off.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Is the issue your aren't comfortable or you simply can't fall asleep?

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    For me it took a paradigm shift in my thinking. Once I realized that I couldn't approach sleeping in a hammock the same way I do in a bed, I began to sleep better in the hammock. I, too, am a side-sleeper; but I finally realized that I can lie on my back all night in a hammock without getting sore. Once I learned to trust the hammock, I was able to force myself to fall asleep on my back. Also, a dose of Melatonin at night didn't hurt, either!

Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Is the issue your aren't comfortable or you simply can't fall asleep?
    Hey buddy, I checked that forum you sent and I got very excited, then I finished the thread and apparently the guy who made the hammocks is MIA :-(

Both, primarily I can't fall asleep but it even makes my back ache and my body feel stiff.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    Like Outandback It takes many folks at least several consecutive nights to adjust. For many of us it takes our bodies a while to transition over to sleeping in a new "bed". For me sometimes I am good on the second or third night and sometimes it takes 4 or more nights. Long hard hiking miles help as does getting really sleepy first. I often stay up till much later than normal, staring at the fire, looking up at the stars, reading and so on help me. Another option is to take a sleeping pill....some Tylenol PM is a popular choice for hikers as it helps with any aches and pains from a long day on the trail. Helps you relax and drift off.
    Yeah I hear a lot of people saying after a long days hike, you can fall asleep anywhere in any row of hammock however this past weekend, I did a 7 mile kayaking trip and was exhausted and still couldn't fall asleep. I'm sort of at my wits end, I was so tired and frustrated because I couldn't sleep.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast