10.5' DIY
    Tarp
    11x13 DIY Sil
    Insulation
    IX UQ, Down Bag TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Dutch/Whoopie
    Images
    somewhat off-topic, but i'm new to this, and this seems the best place to ask without starting a new thread (because i'm sure the answer is lying around on here somewhere, i just couldnt find it)

I picked up 3 yards of 1.9oz ripstop from a local fabric store, Denver Fabrics (the lady at joann's actually sent me there due to her lack of knowledge of the ripstop they carried).

They had some PU ripstop as well as some DWR, but no silnylon. What are the benefits/disadvantages of each? Will I be fine just using plain ripstop as compared to one of this relatives?

And one last thing, all the ripstop was in the 'outdoors' section of the store, and it was shinyer on one side and matte on the other -- but the fabric wasn't 'stiff' by any means, it just felt like slightly thicker tent fabric. My guess is it's fine, I haven't hemmed the edges yet, but i did set it up and hung in it for a few minutes yesterday if that's any testament to it's longevity.

PU is polyurethane coated stuff (I think) typically used for floors. It should be smooth on that side.

Non coated looks the same on both sides.

DWR - durable water resistant is shiney on one side and normal looking on the other. A little slippery but not even close to sil-nylon.

Sil nylon is extremely slippery and shiney on both sides, but it does not look coated like PU. Its almost impossible to hold together by hand, like to sew a seam. You have to pin the snot out of it.

Non coated would breath the best. Not sure about DWR, but I would suspaect it would breath okay too. They use it in down sleeping bags and whatnot.

Dont want to use PU or silnylon for a hammock. Those are good for ground cloths, tarps, flys, raingear, ponchos, WP bags etc.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I have never found silnyl at Wallyworld. Got some DWR stuff that made a great tarp. I have made a hammock out of ripstop that I could almost see through. It held my lard butt even with a hole in the fabric. (There is a pic of the hole in my gallery somewhere.) Not the best hammock I ever had/made but it would suffice for a quick overnight. (It did feel like I was on a taffy pull when I first got in but it held.) IMO, unless you are a gram weenie the benefits of silnyl are over rated for most DIY projects. It is a wicked pain to work with and it oozes water water under pressure while DWR usually does not. Just my mumblings. MYOG
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    HH Expedition,HH Scout ,DIY rigs
    Tarp
    Chinnock Tarps
    Insulation
    Sb & DYI UQ
    I found some at a walmart Saturday, it was digital camo rip stop,,,, I picked up the whole thing.....at that $1.50 a yard.

I made 2 hammocks Sunday with it. And slept outside last night in mine......
    The bigger one is a gathered end, with covers to cover up the fabric knots.....Dang that stuff is light weight,,,,
    "Proud Pound Hawg"
    Republic of Texas H.O.G. (Hennessy Owners Group)

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12