Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Noob motorcycling hammock questions

Hi guys, I have a Hennessy asym backbacker ultralite.

My primary use is motorcycle trips. This is the first hammock ive owned.

I probably have 30 nights in it so far, and am looking to streamline my operation with regard to gear. Generally speaking, I am a year around camper, and would like to use the asym year round.

Currently my nightly setup has a 2.5" self inflating ground mat inside the hammock, and then my Wiggys 0 deg bag.

With this combo, i stay warm, but the giant mat is a pain to deal with inside the hammock, and a pain to pack on the bike.

Surely other people do not use a ground mat, AND a sleeping bag. What do you guys use and recommend with hammock for PNW camping? I really need to pair down.

Should I scrap the sleeping bag, and go for a top quilt and underquilt? seems like that would take up less space.

Ive been reading alot of info on he site, and have searched till my eyes bled.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Welcome. Your post is really not about motorcycling but rather about hammocks and what can you do to use less space. We all face that with or without a motorcycle.

If you want to save some space look into ultra light camping gear including a top quilt and under quilt. Personally I get my TQ and UQ 15 degrees lower than the temps I expect to be in. You can always vent or push them to the side until you need them. Quilts would greatly enhance your comfort also.

If you have not done so you will want to check out Shug's Videos HERE Once you have spent 8 hours or so watching those then pop in at Derek's page HERE. Between Shug and Derek along with checking out all the stickies at the top of each section here, you will be a happy motorcycle hanger quickly.

BTW, I also ride and hang. I had to bite the bullet and move much of my gear to ultra light to save space. Not cheap but it does the trick.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Suspension
    Myerstech dyneema
    dkurfiss' post is on the money. If you're looking to use the same hammock year round, there's a couple things to consider:

1. Underquilts are FAR superior in terms of comfort/warmth than most pads. However, you can't go to ground in cold weather without a pad, so you may consider still bringing one (Thermarest Neo Air Xlite is 12oz and packs tiny). The lightest underquilt below $300 is probably the Enlightened Equipment Revolt. If you want to save some money, get the HammockGear Econ.

2. A camping quilt/topquilt will be lighter, smaller, and easier to use in a hammock than a sleeping bag. Plenty of ground sleepers have switched to a quilt because the tradeoffs are minimal vs the benefits. Enlightened Equipment is again a solid choice, especially since they have a nice elastic strap system which would work perfectly with a pad should you need to go to ground. If you want to save some money..... again, go with the HammockGear Econ and add straps if you want to use a pad occasionally.

3. The Hennessy stock tarp doesn't have a lot of coverage. Consider a bigger one. Silpoly or Xenon tarps get good coverage for under $130 and about 13oz; Cuben fiber is half the weight but expensive and doesn't pack as tight.

A "different" sort of option is something like a Gamma 90 UL setup. It's a 90 degree hammock with an available cuben fiber tarp with doors that utilizes a pad in a pad sleeve for insulation. The hammock + tarp is 30oz, since it uses a pad you can go to ground as needed, and the tarp can be pitched like a tent over the hammock, which becomes a bivvy. Personally I've found it a little small and a little cold under 45 degrees and it's certainly expensive, but the versatility is hard to beat.

Hello, I also do my hammocking with a motorcycle. I moved from a sleeping pad to an undetquilt fairly quickly. Sleeping bag in cold weather. Sleeping bag liner and fluffy throw blanket in warmer weather (still gets cold at 3 am).

Tarp pre-strung in a dry bag, less than 2' to have a large 10'x10' dry area.

Sent from my SM-G389F using Tapatalk
    If you don't live life to the limit, how will you know when you overcome your own?

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    UQ and TQs are the way to go... Also look at the JRB 12x10 tarp with two spring poles... When the ridgeline is off set I put a BMBH-D hammock and my 650 Vstrom all under it with plenty of room... And I can get at the driver side pannier from sitting in the hammock as well as the tank bag.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    WBBB XLC and DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Wooki / Top quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I'm still using a pad / sleeping bag with my WBBB (until my Wooki arrives in the next day or two!).

I find that I can fit my hammock, tarp, pad and sleeping bag all in one pannier. It is a bit of a squeeze but definitely doable. Big hint is to leave the sleeping bag loose and stuff it in to all the nooks and crannies around the other gear.
    That leaves my other pannier for clothes and food and the top box for anything I need to get to during the day.

Wow really appreciate all the responses!

Glad to see so many riders here.

I figured this thread is useless without pics, so here is camp a few weeks ago.

IMG_6342.jpg

Thanks for the links guys! I am watching shugs vids now. So good!

Depending on where you camp you may want to keep the pad. But... Move away from the self inflating pads. On my bike I bring the following: hammock, tarp, top quilt, under quilt, some groundhog stakes, and xtherm max pad. I can hang if there's trees or a reasonable likeness, I can set up the tarp and sleep next to the bike on the pad if not. I like the xtherm because it's plenty warm and packs small. And I'm too cheap to buy 2 pads. Oh and look up inflating a pad with a garbage bag.

Keep the shiny side up.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Suspension
    Myerstech dyneema
    Here's another tarp that might be really suitable for you:

http://www.simplylightdesigns.com/ca...roducts_id/236

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I have a similar situation kayak camping - you can guarantee there will be trees. So you still need the pad if you have go to ground. But you don't need a top quilt right away. You can just unzip your sleeping bag and use it as a top quilt. So instead of getting lighter/smaller, I'm encouraging you to get more; keep the pad for going to ground (when necessary) and get an under quilt for the hammock. Use your sleeping bag (unzipped) as a top quilt until you can afford to buy one. If you were just a summer camper, a 40 degree TQ might be fine. But for year round, I think a 20 degree bag would serve you better.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast