G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I have often mentioned the needs for the orphanage ...they are many. Food, Water and Shelter are always first on any survival list. In my original post I discussed tarps as ONE of the options people consider, and a few have been donated already.

If you see a tarp as a more useful tool for them, by all means, donate one. Donate a tent, donate old gear that can get these folks back on their feet and into some better living conditions..The conditions are a little vague, I know that, and I apologize. My friend (the construction guy)is down there this week, and I can get some more info when he gets back. Mallery (the girl who runs the orphanage is 22 or 23 yrs. old) and is swamped with needs for the kids and the logistics of getting food and water and shelter for them. Seems the government has slowed down the airport and supplies are limited to the community, yet, there are lots of supplies.

Contacting her with a bunch of emails and questions seems a little rude to me. She is doing more important work, and her time can be spent more wisely.
    I appreciate the questions and am not upset in any way. It is confusing and I will agree with you there. We did receive an email from her a week ago, and from that, I posted this thread. I only knew of a need and I am asking my friends here for help. If you have a better idea, I am all ears.
    I don't want to sound like a know it all, or take total control of this fundraising cause. I know that a lot of folks have more experience than I. There are lots of ways to donate items, if this method seems 'weird' or 'unsure'. Take your ideas and run with them. I have received many awesome items, from an extremely generous community. I never in any way said 'hammocks only'. Read back thru the thread.

If you are willing or capable to donate then great, that is all I am asking. Present kid count at the orphanage is around 200+ kids per day, from what I've heard. Mallery is accepting children into her home to give them a safehaven, and I am trying to offer some kind of relief, where we can and how we can. This is a team effort.

If you feel a tarp is better then donate one. If you feel a waterfilter is a better idea, then go for it. If you think donating to another cause is better (Red Cross, churches, or one of the many other charities) then great. If you feel that donating to some country in the middle of nowhere is not important, well, that is you perogative.

My wife and her family do work at an orphanage in the Dominican Republic (the other side of the Island from Haiti). while not specifically in Haiti, the conditions are similar, poverty, bad food supplies, limited fresh water, bad sanitation, and a stagnant government that breaks into our donations and keeps them. We basically smuggle in food, clothing, medicine. It is sad to see that our generosity is invaded by the people in control down there.

We are in motion to get team together for a trip to Haiti in July.(as well as a pre-planned trip to the DR) We have gathered a few volunteers for this trip and have had a few monetary donations to allow this trip to happen.
    Money is tight all over, but we feel it is our calling or destiny to go.

I don't want to sound angry, I am not. Just trying to explain my situation. You are entitled to your feelings. I know of a need and I'm trying to help. Lots of folks are trying to help. Bless you all, on whatever decision you make.

Again, I am open to ideas. Send a tarp. Send medical supplies. Send whatever. All will put to good use by the orphanages kids.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    KAQ,WB,Ham. Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch clips, strap
    When this was started, and Gargoyle posted the link to the Haiti Foundation. I read through there and one of the goals they have is to build an shelter for the kids. They posted a picture of the kind of building they want to raise enough money to purchase. They hope to use it first as a medical clinic to be used short term during this crisis and when immediate medical needs start being met, they visualize converting the building to a place for the kids to sleep at night- and during the day, the "beds" would be moved out of the way and the area used for meal preparation. To me that makes sense that they would use hammocks to hang in the building and then unhook them and hang them against the wall as to make room for food prep. Standard beds or cots would be too cumbersome and take up too much room.

Maybe that is not verbalized clearly there, but exactly what Mallery had in mind when asking Gargoyle for hammocks.

If thats the case, their request makes sense. Immediate needs may be tarps, but from what I hear, they have supplies on the ground but due to logistical nightmares, they have large tents and tarps sitting in storage in airport hangars.

The way I see it, Gargoyle is just responding to a specific request by Mallery. That is probably why its been said that donated hammocks or other things can be sent to Michigan, and they plan to bring them over in JULY, when they just might be ready to set up that building they want and the hammocks we are making will be arriving just when they need them?

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    I look at it this way, and maybe it will put some perspective on the situation. With the poverty that Haiti has had for longer than most of us have been alive for, what ever we send to these kids will likely be in use for longer than any of us will be alive for. If it is a tent, a hammock, a water filter or anything else we dream up that may help, the situation down there is going to be bad for along time to come. Some of the hammocks, tarps, tents will likely be the place these kids grow up in. It will take a long time to rebuild down there with the poverty they face every day.

Like Gargoyle said--help if you are so inclined. To those that have sent donations for fabric and supplies. Yesterday a roll of noseeum netting shipped out from OWF bound for Michigan and Gargoyles thread injector. Paid for with the generous donations of members. So again Thank You to those that have helped, Thank You to OWF for their support and generosity.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    KAQ,WB,Ham. Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch clips, strap
    Received the package from SandyKayak today! Thanks! Told the staff so we are going to start working on the hammocks either tomorrow or definitely next week!

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    ref103, your netting arrived, thank you.

Frawg, thems some nice 'mocks. Mighty fine. (what kind of fabric is that? feels real nice)
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp
    glad you got the goodies...would be interested to know how many hammocks you make.

evrybody, check with your local govt.

Miami-Dade County is collecting perishable items and they specified camping tents - I've given 3 so far...(and one was a brand new ($100) 2-room with screen porch and 6'3" center height

Drop-off points include public libraries and (I believe) fire stations.

gotta set up another mid-sized tent to make sure all parts are there. I've got some blue tarps as well.

the need is going to be long-term. It does seem very feasible that as they construct (cement/concrete blocks) installing eyes into the concrete would be easy. hmmmmmmm should we be including hooks/eyes?

I know that in venezuela they have ones specially for hammocks...the straight portion goes into the concrete and there's a round eye - ab 2" in diameter that hangs out.

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    KAQ,WB,Ham. Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch clips, strap
    Quote Originally Posted by sandykayak View Post
    glad you got the goodies...would be interested to know how many hammocks you make.
    Cut the fabric today, able to cut enough for 10 hammocks, a mix of 2 and 3 yards each without any waste leftover.

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    ref103, your netting arrived, thank you.

Frawg, thems some nice 'mocks. Mighty fine. (what kind of fabric is that? feels real nice)
    Sorry I was late seeing this... It was Walmart mystery fabric -- not really sure what it was, but it was fairly lightweight and I liked the color.

Glad you like 'em. I'll keep my eyes peeled for any more of the fabric.
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Hammock
    DIY of the Day
    Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images

sitting in the dark

Here I sit in the dark Writing this message on an ancient sidekick. I'm glad to see that things are moving along. I purchased a boatload of fabric, netting, Amsteel, and zipper. Only to produce one hammock before I lost all power like so many here in WNC. I can't wait for electricity so I can make more of a contribution. Funny, I feel so inconvenienced by this storm. The people of Haiti don't have the luxury of knowing that all will be well soon. Kudos to all here making a difference. I have a friend here whom owns a fabric store. He has told me he is willing to donate LOTS of fabric to our cause. When I get back to civilization I will try to set this in motion.
    2015 John Rock Spreadsheet.

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    RF, Sorry to hear the big storm is affecting your productivity. Tell your freind thanks for the donation. Got quite a few hammocks that aren't sewn, just gathered and put a suspension on. Really fast that way. About 10-15 minutes per hammock.

hope you all get your power back on soon.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

• + New Posts
  • Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast