G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Dutch, No time limit..It appears we may take a load down in July!!! Personally!!
    The lightweight stuff will do, Dutch, good idea. Also, those simple headnets would provide relief.

John (MrPrez), Unless its double layer, which would be way to warm, I can't think of any single layer fabric that would be better than others. Any fabric can work, gottta hit up wal-mart and see whats available, the $1.00 bin would be ideal. Netting sock and hammock?

Mac, the size of the hammock was something the girls from the orphanage suggested..I felt the same way, one size fits most, but I was trying to accomadate her needs. 5 foot of fabric and gather and larkshead. Done. But I agree with you on this, but she has around 75 toddlers to 15 yr old kids, so I see where size could be an issue.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Great thread! Maybe a silly question, but do they have safe places to hang right now? I'm totally down with a little Hammock Aide.
    I am too. I think this could be a good idea. I have heard rumors for years that Haiti has largely been deforested as the destitute have foraged for fuel to burn. Is this rumor true? I have no idea. Where are all these hammocks going to hang? Are any walls left standing by the earthquake safe enough to hang from? Are we outfitting a standing orphanage, some kind of camp? I'm not understanding it so far, and am just curious.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

I just found some Atlanco Mosquito Bars for $10 each. I have a call in the see how many they have.

Ed Speer has some 1" webbing on his clearance page for $2/30ft. This would be ideal for the hammock suspensions. Simple to tie off to the support structure and to the hammock.

Hammock
    DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    Even the tulle at the local fabric shops should work fine for mossies. The holes are too big to protect against no-seeums, but that's not the concern.
    .. truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. - Herman Melville

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    I am too. I think this could be a good idea. I have heard rumors for years that Haiti has largely been deforested as the destitute have foraged for fuel to burn. Is this rumor true? I have no idea. Where are all these hammocks going to hang? Are any walls left standing by the earthquake safe enough to hang from? Are we outfitting a standing orphanage, some kind of camp? I'm not understanding it so far, and am just curious.
    Okay, I can tell you what I know and try to find more info as it develops.
    Deforested land..yes. They still have trees, tho.
    Safe to hang? I don't know for sure, as stated earlier I have a freind ( a construction recue team member) heading down soon . He is going to check things out.
    As we all know, if there is a will, there is a way to hang a hammock!

The Orphanage of which WE are trying to help is an established orphanage. http://haitifoundation.com/ from what I heard, she is located just North of Port-au-Prince, in Cite Soleil.
    I do know the house/structure that was used to house volunteers was demolished. Information is coming thru, and I do know Mallery is taking in kids still. Many kids that have lost their families. And I'm sure it has become a 'tent city', due to the fact people are scared to go into the homes, which is understandable. Last word I had was the orphanage is standing.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Thanks for the details! I'll dig through my stuff and see what I can come up with to donate.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    KAQ,WB,Ham. Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch clips, strap
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    And I'm sure it has become a 'tent city'
    Heaven Forbid! We need to set up a Hammock City! Its time to pull out those plans for multiple hammock stands!

Im wondering if places like that will be relocating to other less damaged areas temporarily while they clean up and rebuild?

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Just thinknin' agin'... Haiti is a place where a HH with stock tarp, all in SnakeSkins, would shine! It would be a Presidential Palace Hammock!

Maybe someone should put a bug in Mr. H's ear...
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    DIY of the Day
    Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images
    I'll be able to sew up some hammocks next week. I just received lots of "WalMart ripstop, er, Fabric of Unknown Content". I guess there's a reason for everything
    2015 John Rock Spreadsheet.

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    Just thinknin' agin'... Haiti is a place where a HH with stock tarp, all in SnakeSkins, would shine! It would be a Presidential Palace Hammock!

Maybe someone should put a bug in Mr. H's ear...
    You can get a free Scout with purchase of ULBA or Explorer UL.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast