DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    I've been driving this morning and thinking about the netting issue. Obviously, that's the most critical. Sleeping on the floor is uncomfortable and sleeping in the rain sucks, but malaria is a killer. Like someone else said, it'd be best to have the netting so that someone can walk into a netted "room". Also, this is an entire temporary home, not just a bed, so it'd be awesome if the netting was up even when the hammock was down. AngrySparrow, have there ever been any discussions about netting draped from the perimeter of a tarp?
    .. truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. - Herman Melville

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vitamaltz View Post
    AngrySparrow, have there ever been any discussions about netting draped from the perimeter of a tarp?
    Not that I recall.

But, if you look at the JRB Hammock Hut tarp design (pics here and here), it seems that netting could be added in that fashion to a diamond fly. Imagine netting in place of the fabric walls. Of course it might be simpler to just sew flat pieces to the edges of a rectangular tarp.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    DIY Bridge/DD Travel
    Tarp
    Kathmandu/Superfly
    Insulation
    Exped/DIY UB
    Mossie or midge tarps seem to be fairly simple in design, here's two

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...=midge+netting

http://www.wildnisabenteuer.de/gear/dtarp.htm

There's also the lifesystems type which can hang from a single or multipoint above.

Hammock
    DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    Nice! The HF archivist took 9 minutes to supply a reply with links! Thank AS; you're even better than Google.

Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    Not that I recall.

But, if you look at the JRB Hammock Hut tarp design (pics here and here), it seems that netting could be added in that fashion to a diamond fly. Imagine netting in place of the fabric walls. Of course it might be simpler to just sew flat pieces to the edges of a rectangular tarp.
    .. truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. - Herman Melville

Hammock
    Switchback/Treklite
    Tarp
    BWDD WinterDream
    Insulation
    IX 5-in-1/WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies/TL Stand
    Just got a notice that the package of seconds ripstop nylon from Scott is on it's way. I can use this to sew up hammocks for the hammocks for Haiti project, as soon as we have a clearer picture of what is the optimal way to make them. Are we looking at a scenario of get something, anything there fast for now, and then a more co-ordinated project with fine tuning later?

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vitamaltz View Post
    Nice! The HF archivist took 9 minutes to supply a reply with links! Thank AS; you're even better than Google.
    SSHHH, a little hammock forum secret..AS is Google.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Turtlelady, this effort is certainly a fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants kinda thing. I appreciate all the input and ideas. And I'm open to more ideas..so feel free, we are a community and this is a community effort.

I would love to send lots of stuff down right away, but that doesn't seem possible. As things arrive, I will stockpile and move them along.

These things take time and getting a couple thousand 'hammockheads' rallied around the cause via the internet will take a bit. Buying supplies, sewing and shipping, etc. will take time.

As far as what style hammock or how-to info, I'll leave that up to individual donor. Any thing has to be better than the present situation in Haiti.

I am completely new to this fund-drive thing, so it will be a learning curve for me too. All I know is that I had a heartfelt moment and shared it with the HF community. We will play it by ear and see what shows up, if you have suggestions..great I'm all ears (and stomach).
    I knew of a need and I knew of an answer to that need, I had the appropriate contacts, both in Haiti and here on the Forum.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    Just Jeff's site has a great tutorial for making hammocks.
    I was thinking that Jeff's hammock would be a good way we could make the same basic design. It is simple and many of us already have made them as our first diy hammock.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    I just bought enough $1.50 FoUC (aka ripstop) from WM for 14 full size hammocks, plus 20 yards of some kind of lightweight white mesh that will make mosquito netting. Thing1 and I will get to work on Monday!

Gargoyle, what length do you think we should use for kid's hammocks? Is 2 yards too short?
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Images
    PM sent......................

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast