Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hennessy - down to 32 degrees?

Ok.. my first posting and a Newby question at that...

Just bought a Hennessy A-Sym and living in Minnesota wanted to enjoy it as soon as possible.. so my question is... is there anyting else necessary after ordering the HH supershelter to handle down to 32 degree nights..?

The Supershelter from what I can gather only comes with an undercover... is some form of overcover needed..?

Appreciate any insights, - Nicodemus

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Dble
    Tarp
    BWWD v2
    Insulation
    Incubator/UGQ FJ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/DutchHook
    Images
    Welcome to the forum! There are alot of threads document what temps people have been able to take the super shelter down to. Try checking in the trip report section as well as in the HH section in the forum. That being said I have had mine down to around 25F but I was also not practicing a minimalist approach. I slept in a MMS sleep system and if anything I was a little warm. I think I could have gone lower if the weather had cooperated and been colder. I know that I would like to get an over cover but they are on backorder. I am also getting an Incubator UQ from Perfect Trees so that I can hang into lowwer temperatures with confidence and comfort.

Take a look around the site there is alot of great info and knowledable people here. Congrats and good luck.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Overcover helps hold in some heat and more than anything, in my opinion, shields you from wind. Whether or not you need one for 32F is an individual decision.

If you go with a SS put a space blanket on top of the OCF pad.

Since you're from MN you might want to consider an under quilt instead of the SS. Some of the less expensive ones, like the KAQ, don't cost too much more than the SS.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Ok.. my first posting and a Newby question at that...

Just bought a Hennessy A-Sym and living in Minnesota wanted to enjoy it as soon as possible.. so my question is... is there anyting else necessary after ordering the HH supershelter to handle down to 32 degree nights..?

The Supershelter from what I can gather only comes with an undercover... is some form of overcover needed..?

Appreciate any insights, - Nicodemus
    What Bakeel and Knotty said, plus: results vary QUITE a bit! Going by my own experiences, and some of the original BGT test results, and now the addition of quite a few test results here at HF, you could be fine to 20 or even lower, or you moght freeze at 32. A (very)few here have been fine well below 20 with the basic SS UC/pad/space blanket. Folks like me have been fine to about 30 or so, and have done well into the teens by adding various items(down vests and such) below the pad, or smaller items ( HH kidney/torso pads are great) on top of the pads. A few others have never been able to be warm much below 50. A few others end up having considerable condensation problems, enough to be a deal breaker. Me, I've never had any condensation problem as long as I used it as directed, with a space blanket.

But it's anybody's guess as to how it will function with you and to what temp. You will probably either love it or hate it. I still find it to be a pretty good option, especially at 30 and 40 or above, when I can just use the basic system.

The best(and most unique) thing it has going for it, IMO, is the built in wind and rain/snow block that is a part of the system. Maybe even enough to allow use of a smaller tarp- even the stock tarp- and be as or more secure as with a larger, heavier tarp. Naturally, this can be duplicated on other systems, but it would require adding a separate cover of some type.

Hammock
    HH expedition ; BB double layer
    Tarp
    hh hex WB Supr Fly
    Insulation
    .5ccf speer s.p.e.
    Suspension
    variety
    Use a good sleeping bag... Closed cell foam wally world pad inside.... spe will help.. That's it.. no super shelter needed. Cinch your small fly down tight.. Better yet do this and put a large hex fly on.. [I] find this is more than adequate at 32 or below...but not too far below
    How many time have you heard.......? "nice hammock what about when there are no trees?"

Hammock
    WB Traveller or my DIY gathered-end
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10
    Insulation
    Pads, usually
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post

Welcome to the forum, Nicodemus!

Ummmm, looking at the 10-day forecast, we're not going to have any nights that only get down to 32* soon....

I've taken a very basic hammock down to 24*F using just a Thermarest pad inside the hammock. I had a 30* bag with a fleece blanket for top insulation, and wore long johns and wool socks- I tend to be a "cold sleeper".

My suggestion is to experiment close to home before venturing deep into the woods, a couple hours in the back yard should show you quickly what keeps you warm and what doesn't. You may have to combine the SS with other gear to achieve the warmth you need. There's an AMAZING amount of information on this website- peruse the archives, you will probably find several 'recipes' or 'formulas' that will keep you comfy!

-Greg H
    MN

Thank you all... much appreciated... !

- Nicodemus

Hammock
    HH Expedition,HH Scout ,DIY rigs
    Tarp
    Chinnock Tarps
    Insulation
    Sb & DYI UQ
    I have the super shelter and don't use it, I have been in the high 20s and high teens with just a basic hammock and a good sleeping bag,,,,fleece pad in the bag and dressed warm.....
    That goes for my GT, HH, and ENO.... any hammock will take the cold,, it depends on how you are insulated.....
    "Proud Pound Hawg"
    Republic of Texas H.O.G. (Hennessy Owners Group)

Hammock
    HH Expedition,HH Scout ,DIY rigs
    Tarp
    Chinnock Tarps
    Insulation
    Sb & DYI UQ
    For example, I slept out last night, Saturday night, in my Hammock Bliss, open top, no tarp,
    Only an ECW sleeping bag and a Megellan inflatable pad.
    Sat. night / Sun. morning temps, Jan 31, 2010......33 Degrees with a wind chill of 28 degrees.

I have no doubt that the Super Shelter can take the cold temps, it will all depend on the insulation, and how you set up.
    "Proud Pound Hawg"
    Republic of Texas H.O.G. (Hennessy Owners Group)

• + New Posts