Knotty Mods, Best Practices

I am going to start on a new hammock next week. I have a few questions about Knotty mods.

1. Are you doing both sides?
    2. Are they both at your feet or is one on the head side?
    3. Is there any reason to make it adjustable?

Hammock
    DIY Poly D or Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter w/doors
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Beetle or DIY Hook
    I put one at my feet and one near my head. I make them about 18-22" long. They are easily adjustable with the length of shockcord. I used to make the cord longer to accommodate a relaxed state and have extra hanging out after adjusting. However lately I make it just long enough to fit like I like it and don't find a need to adjust it.
    Outdoors > Indoors
    I love me some XeroShoes
    “An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock.” ― Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    All my hammocks except the chameleon have knotty mods. All are on both sides at the "foot" end. Frankly, I don't see what difference it makes where you put them. Before and after knotty mods, you started and ended with the same rectangular piece of fabric. All the mods do is pull the sides up (take the slack out) regardless of where they are in the hem.

Hammock
    DIY Poly D or Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter w/doors
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Beetle or DIY Hook
    Quote Originally Posted by sqidmark View Post
    Frankly, I don't see what difference it makes where you put them.
    I like mine near my feet to help keep my quilt in the hammock. Likewise near my head to help keep my small pillow in the hammock.
    Outdoors > Indoors
    I love me some XeroShoes
    “An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock.” ― Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

Quote Originally Posted by rais'n hammock View Post
    I like mine near my feet to help keep my quilt in the hammock. Likewise near my head to help keep my small pillow in the hammock.
    That is kind of what I was wondering. My indoor hammock is on the narrow side and my pillow always falls out. So will having it near the pillow help keep things contained better than having it at the foot end on the side that my head is on?

Quote Originally Posted by rais'n hammock View Post
    However lately I make it just long enough to fit like I like it and don't find a need to adjust it.
    I have kind of been thinking about making the shock cord completely contained in the hem.

I was thinking I would use 10 inches or so(relaxed) and knot the shock cord up on each end. Then sew some little tabs to each end that I can sew into the hem and then not have any shork cord showing or weak points in the hammock edge. Do you think that would work?

Hammock
    DIY R2B3 (Black Bear Burrito) + HUG
    Tarp
    Noah12, Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie + straps
    Images
    I run 18" into the channel, and secure one end with bartack. pull other end to 24" and bartack. Gives me 6" of tension on cord, enough to keep out the flop. Have both sides down about 18" from the gather.
    .... the Aardvark (earth pig)... a rather unremarkable creature whose sole claim to fame is that it is the first animal listed in the dictionary.
    Rob

Hammock
    DIY Poly D or Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter w/doors
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Beetle or DIY Hook
    Quote Originally Posted by onesojourner View Post
    I have kind of been thinking about making the shock cord completely contained in the hem.

I was thinking I would use 10 inches or so(relaxed) and knot the shock cord up on each end. Then sew some little tabs to each end that I can sew into the hem and then not have any shork cord showing or weak points in the hammock edge. Do you think that would work?
    10" may not be long enough. I like Aardvark's idea to tack both ends. Inserting them in the hem what I do. I tack one end and use a barrel lock on the other but rarely adjust them. I may losen them if I am just lounging.
    Last edited by rais'n hammock; 07-08-2017 at 00:53. Reason: Typo
    Outdoors > Indoors
    I love me some XeroShoes

Hammock
    DIY 11' Hexon 1.6 wide
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Costco TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs, whoopies
    On my wife's hammock, I put one on the foot end, and one by where my wife lays her head. She likes it this way. It does seem to keep her gear contained. My DIY Hexon wide 11' just has one at the foot end. I don't mind the extra material on the head side so much. I generally wake up in the same position I fell asleep in, so gear wrangling isn't an issue for me. I do like the foot one though to make sure I don't have my TQ creep over the edge.

Here's how I do mine. Knotty mod mid hammock 2.jpg Knotty mod foot end loop.jpg

I sew a piece of 3/8" grosgrain at each end as stress relievers to keep the hem hole from widening, then use shock cord and a cord lock. I sew it at the midpoint of wherever my feet end up when I 'm in a comfortable lay. I use my soldering iron to carefully make the hole only in the hem and not the body of the hammock. I think the shock cord channel is about 18" long...could be 24".

For the head end, I had my wife lay down, get comfy, then marked the mid point.

I do it this way so that if I ever have to replace the shock cord, I can easily.
    Last edited by DannyII; 07-07-2017 at 15:58.

Alright this is what I came up with.

So it is all self contained.
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts