Hammock
    Grand Trunk UL
    Tarp
    Equinox 8x10 silny
    Insulation
    Speer PeaPod III
    Images

Smile first night in my DIY (pics & comments)

Well, I made my first DIY hammock along the lines of Just Jeff's and Risk's webpages. The material was more expensive than I thought. The rip stop nylon was $22 from JoAnn's Fabrics. The spectra climbing cord was cheap only $4 but the 800 lb. 1" nylon webbing was $11 at a local hardware store. It weighs in at just over 1 lb..

It was pretty easy to make. I used a friend's sewing machine to hem the edges. It was surprisingly comfortable. It did stretch and sag a bit over the course of the night but that's to be expected.

Here's a photo of the trial run without mosquito netting: http://www.msnusers.com/hikingjer/on...to&PhotoID=986

Here's a photo with the sil-nylon tarp from a Crazy Creek LEX crib: http://www.msnusers.com/hikingjer/on...to&PhotoID=987

It sprinkled a litle bit and I stayed dry. I have yet to use this tarp in a heavy rain so I don't know how it'd stand up to a heavy downpour. It needs to a better seam sealing than the inadequate stock job. I had a bit of trouble finding a good place to hang since I was car-camping in an old-growth forest dominated with large trees. The hammock ends were too close to the ends of the tarp so heavy rain could've dripped down.

The next step is to attach the mosquito net. I bought 3 yards from REI for about $9.75 and wrapped/tied it to the hammock's ends. It works OK draped over the hammock and hanging down but determined mosquitos could get in.

Total cost $48 and weighs about 2 lbs. 5 oz.(lighter than my Crazy Creek Crib LEX). A HH A-sym UL is much lighter and probably more comfortable but I'm very hesitant to spend $140+ on a hammock.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Congrats hikingjer.

Nice looking hammock you got there. You cat friend seem to like it also.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Congrats. Looks good!

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Looks nice! One of my two cats thinks any hanging hammock is her's.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    LOL; I was looking thru your gallery and saw the one of your dog in a hat and sweater. That's funny. You have some really nice pics over there, well done.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk UL
    Tarp
    Equinox 8x10 silny
    Insulation
    Speer PeaPod III
    Images

pets and hammocks

Our pets seem to like this hammock kick that I'm on. That cat hopped up in the homemade hammock with my wife with no hesitation at all.

My bird dog (GWP) hops up into the Crazy Creek Lex Crib hammock (my first hammock) real quick. It has a 300 lb. limit. He spent 3 nights in that hammock with me so far. But, the homemade hammock is totally off-limits to his extra 70 lbs.! The bird dog and the Aussie shepard did just fine sleeping under the tarp and DIY hammock.

Cannibal:

The sweater has a hood with a little frilly thing on the top. It's hilarious! My wife bought it from a pet store down on the Oregon Coast. It's imported from Peru and hand-sewed. The dog didn't like it at first but since he's cold much of the time. Now, he can't camp without it!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/74014145@N00/443318559/

-----------------------------

The Cascades normally aren't very cold in summer even though we're only about 5 miles from the Canadian border. The nearby Pacific Ocean and Puget Sound moderate temperatures so it doesn't normally get real cold at night. There's a lot of steep, rocky, timbered slopes so hammocks work well in the Cascades.

This DIY hammock worked out pretty well and was easy to make. Some people we know may getting hammocks for Christmas. LOL.
    Last edited by hikingjer; 06-28-2007 at 17:45.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hikingjer View Post

This DIY hammock worked out pretty well and was easy to make. Some people we know may getting hammocks for Christmas. LOL.
    Good idea!

I just completed 2 hammocks for birthday presents for my nephew and BIL. (I ran out of time for tarp-making and ended up buying SG Camo "Neo" tarps for them.) It won't be too long before more folks in my family end up with hammocks for Christmas and birthday presents.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

• + New Posts