Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by souperjen24 View Post
    Thanks all for the thoughts. Even though I wear clean clothes to bed, I have worn them around the fire and I don't want my stuff smelling like fire. Easy solution for that is to just wait to get dressed though : ) Thanks for the link to the Dutch one... guess that's going on my wishlist!
    I'm the same. I go so far as to keep my quilts and sleep clothes inside my pack liner, rolled closed, until right before bed. Just to keep any smoke blowing that direction away. I do try to play the wind and have the fire a good 50'+ away, though.

I guess if my OCD really kicks in, I can wear one of those tyvek painters suits to bed

Hammock
    Yes
    Tarp
    greenish grey
    Insulation
    greyish green
    Suspension
    Trees, duh.
    Images
    If you're concerned about keeping your quilts fresher on the trail, how about a set of silk sheets? I'm joking, but only a little. You put sheets on your bed at home, why not in your hammock? That's really what a bag liner is. But since you won't be using a bag, you don't really need a sewn, constricting bag liner.

I'm thinking something along the line of some simple, light silk by the yard. Like this: http://www.dharmatrading.com/fabric/...bric_silk.html

2+ yards, trimmed and hemmed to the same(ish) size as your quilt, maybe attached to you quilt with some kam snaps? Removable, washable, comfortable, maybe even adding some insulation value for ~$10.

Hmmmm. Now you've got me thinking. . .
    Last edited by seuss; 07-11-2017 at 13:15.
    Genesis 16:12

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    As an older trick that still works fine-
    You can put an unscented or clean scented drier sheet into the foot of your quilt (or the stuff sack) to cut down on the odor. We used to use scented ones (I still do sometimes) but that's a bit frowned upon these days by folks who don't like to bring anything scented that may attract animals.
    As far as I have heard (and a few bad experiences to back it up), drier sheets and fabric softeners are extremely bad for down. They are notorious for diminishing loft of down. I personally would avoid doing this unless it turns out that I'm totally wrong.

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by seuss View Post
    If you're concerned about keeping your quilts fresher on the trail, how about a set of silk sheets? I'm joking, but only a little. You put sheets on your bed at home, why not in your hammock? That's really what a bag liner is. But since you won't be using a bag, you don't really need a sewn, constricting bag liner.

I'm thinking something along the line of some simple, light silk by the yard. Like this: http://www.dharmatrading.com/fabric/...bric_silk.html

2+ yards, trimmed and hemmed to the same(ish) size as your quilt, maybe attached to you quilt with some kam snaps? Removable, washable, comfortable, maybe even adding some insulation value for ~$10.

Hmmmm. Now you've got me thinking. . .
    I did exactly this about a month ago. I used 55" wide 10mm though. I mainly use them for when it's hot and humid but ya just want something over yourself.

EDIT > Hutzelbein is correct that the light fabric can be a PITA to get into. I sewed mine up just like a tq. The footbox is only 16" deep, easy in easy out. I also sewed a pc of red grosgrain at the top edge to more easily figure out which end is which. I know it sounds funny but try it, you'll know what i mean. Sleeping bag liners are not configured well for hammock use.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Interesting thread. I cut up a high thread count cotton top sheet. I made the liner almost exact same size as my down TQs just a tiny bit larger, I put ties on it that match the ties on my TQ's. I am able to tie the silky cotton liner to the TQ so everything stays together. On the extremely rare occasion when it is too humid for me I just use the liner without the TQ.. Washes great, it feels very nice and it is durable.

I sleep with a down TQ at home, foot box and all the weight of a normal bed quilt causes my knee to dislocate in my sleep, so I used the left over sheeting to make a semi fitted sheet for my bed when it is too warm for a quilt.

I have a SnugPak Quart system, and I have been using the sleeping bag as a top quilt until I get a proper one. I decided after a couple of over nighters this summer I need a lighter top layer for the the 70+ degree summer nights. The quart comes with the liner that would probably work great for me, but I have always been of the same opinion that it would just suck to crawl in and out of it since it's just a sock. After reading this thread I have been inspired. I think I am going to just cut a slit down the back about 3/4 the way down and convert it into a "top quilt liner".

I don't know exactly what material it is, and the only issue I can think of with this is possible fraying if it is not hemmed (which I would prefer not to bother with).

Hammock
    XLC/SLD 11' Tree Runner/BB
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    Jacks R Better Micro Fleece Quilt Liner
    I won't sleep without it below 60°
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I need something like this for warmer weather. This weekend will be 80° for a high, about 57 both nights for a low. That means it will be 65-70° for a majority of the night. My 40° TQ is just too much for that and I'm really getting tired of these warmer nights when it should be cool.

Hammock
    XLC/SLD 11' Tree Runner/BB
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    I need something like this for warmer weather. This weekend will be 80° for a high, about 57 both nights for a low. That means it will be 65-70° for a majority of the night. My 40° TQ is just too much for that and I'm really getting tired of these warmer nights when it should be cool.
    Row 156
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=2042197767

I used the JrB Quilt liner in those temps.
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    I wrote a post about this same thing over on Whiteblaze a couple of weeks ago...

I like silk liners but have torn mine multiple times trying to wiggle in. I picked up the Dutch one and the shape is perfect. But the material cannot compare to the comfort of silk. My lament was that nobody makes a silk liner designed for quilts, in the shape of a quilt (like the Dutch one).

acb.jpg

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast