Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Working on it
    Tarp
    Working on it
    Insulation
    Thermrest camp pad

What is the ideal temp

I don't want to buy more than one underquilt i want to know in the temp range of 0-60 what temperature should i get 0 or 10 or 20 . Thanks in advance you guys have been real helpful

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly-Custom
    Insulation
    HG Econ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    All Sorts of
    I was having the same problem deciding between a 20 degree or a 0 degree, and I just decided to go with the 0 because you can always vent if you need to, and you can't always add more if you don't have it. Based on my current use of it, I've had no problem with the 0 degree quilt in 55 degree weather. That's just my two cents.
    "The world is a complicated place Hobbes"
    "Whenever it seems that way, I take a nap in a tree and wait for dinner"
    -Calvin and Hobbes

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Winter 12
    Insulation
    HG Econ 20* quilts
    Suspension
    beetles
    General consensus seems to be 10° cooler than your lowest anticipated low.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk
    There are two kinds of people in this world. Those that can extrapolate from incomplete data.

Hammock
    DIY 12ft HyperD 1.6SL
    Tarp
    The Stingray DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator/Gemini
    Suspension
    UCRWhoopieCinch
    Consider your minimum temperature rating desired. Factor in a 10 degree buffer.

Buy that temp rating and then vent, or move the UQ to the side in the warmer temps. You could be very hot if you used a 0 degree in 60 degree temps. Lots of venting and such.

Make yourself a Gemini on the cheap for the milder temps. Spend your hard earned cash on a low degree rated UQ for the colder times.
    "If we lose the forests, we lose our only instructors. People must see these forests and wilderness as the greatest educational system that we have on the planet. If we lose all the universities in the world, then we would lose nothing. But If we lose the forests, we lose everything." -- Bill Mollison

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    What are the temperatures that you spend 90% of your camping in? There is no perfect do everything rating. If you get a 20° quilt and your out in 0° weather without any supplementation you will be cool to cold. And on the flip side if you get a 0° quilt and your out in 60° weather you will likely be warmer than comfortable...though it is easier to vent and or remove top side layers, all the way down to nothing than it is to add to a quilt in the cold.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I say a 20º or 30º then boost it for colder weather and vent it for hotter weather if your going for that wide of a range.
    But your asking a lot from one peice of gear.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Unless you are well experienced in supplementing your insulation go with your lowest temp need. It will work fine in warmer temps*, you'll just be carrying extra weight..

*we are talking UQs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    I hike in N.Ga/W.NC and have a zero UQ to go with my 20 TQ. I use the zero into the 40s, though I've had it into the 50s and not been miserably warm. I'm a cold sleeper, though. I don't have xtra overstuff, and I believe having only regular fill increases the temp range usability (on the high end). While adding overstuff would certainly increase the low end range, I think it would affect the high end too much for your generalized purpose.

There are a number of cheap options for a summer UQ (50+), so being sure you're covered for your low temps would be the priority.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    There is no one magic UQ that will be comfortable in that range, regardless of how you vent it. Paul and Shug speak the truth and I went through similar thoughts and experiments years ago before I broke down and ended up with a complete set of 0°, 20°, and 40 ° quilts.

Do you not want to buy more than 1 quilt because of funds or some other reason? In the beginning, many people found ways to insulate without an underquilt and if you're inclined towards experimentation with Reflextix, foam pads, blankets, socks, and precision placement of your outer insulation layers (ie adding your down jacket under your quilt) then you can probably cheat towards a warmer quilt and supplement when it gets cold. If you're not so inclined, then you're asking for a huge range from one thing.

Most of the time when I'm talking to friends about their gear needs (hammock and otherwise) I find that we all tend to over-estimate the temp ranges that we will camp in. I live in New England and have ample opportunity to spend many nights well below zero outside. I don't. Once a year I go to test myself and I've spent a few nights over the years at -5°, 12°, and -15° F but if I'm honest with myself I could happily have skipped them if I didn't already have the gear. Similarly on the other end of the scale: I've slept in Utah and Africa when it was 107° F during the day and dropped all the way to 90° at night, but those were once-in-a-lifetime trips and if someone invited me to do that for fun near home I'd tell them to get lost.

In the end, my advice is similar to Paul: I'd pick a UQ that covers my 80% range so that most of the time I'm comfortable, happy, and everything is convenient. For the rare trips on the cold end of the spectrum I'd beg or borrow the right or additional gear from a friend or even rent it. Especially an underquilt: some people get uncomfortable sharing their sleeping bags or topquilts since they touch you, but everyone I know is fine sharing an underquilt since the hammock seperates you from it. I'd cheat towards the cold side of the spectrum a bit and vent or switch to a light pad when temps hit 50°+ and go without a UQ when things are 60°+. So you're really asking about something for a range from maybe 10° or 20° to ~ 40°. And if that were me, and the 10° temps were realistic a couple nights a year, I'd get a 10° UQ, a foam pad, and a good topquilt/sleeping bag. Otherwise, I find my 20° UQ quilt is what I use for 50% of the year here in New England from Late April through June and again from September through November. I use my 40 set in July & August and my zero set in December through March.

Good luck.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

Hammock
    Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear CF
    Insulation
    EE 20/30 Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I use a 20 UQ and 30 TQ and still get a bit cold if the temp starts getting close to 40 after I have been hiking all day. I personally would take a 0 degree bag if I was really certain that I'll be hanging in sub-freezing temperatures. I think it's a rather rare bird that actually wants to be out in 0 degree weather. (You may be one but make sure you're being honest with yourself. It's extra time, money, and weight for 0 degree bag that I bet the vast majority of 0 degree UQ buyers never use/need.) You can hang the UQ lose and vent it in warmer temps, but my bet is that you'll want a warm weather set sooner rather than later.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast