Hammock
    Clark NX-150
    Tarp
    Clark
    Insulation
    HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch bkl & whoopi
    I would be interested in seeing a video on the knot. Looks easy and helpful.

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbavinny View Post
    I would be interested in seeing a video on the knot. Looks easy and helpful.
    See post #15.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Thanks to fugalster for bringing this up. Round turn becket hitch or double sheet bend, it works great with my blue dyneema straps. Back to simple hanging without hardware.

Hammock
    WBBB DL + 7 others
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    LocoLibre TQ0 UQ0
    Suspension
    15'Kevlar3.3J-bend
    If you like experimenting with knots, here are two ideas.

With 1/8" Amsteel, as you suggest, I doubt there would be breakage, but perhaps/definite maybe/probably slippage. Derek Hansen says about the Becket Hitch in this application in his video "In my own testing, tying with Amsteel was prone to slippage...It may pull through." Indeed.

You can do an anti-slipping preventive on many Amsteel knots by typing slipped figure-of-nine stopper knots on each tag end. This idea came to me in the past out of necessity. Takes about five seconds to do one. It's just a Figure 9 stopper knot but with the tag end slipped. Pull on it when you break camp and the entire knot disappears. I do this whenever I have concern about a knot coming undone because of slippage, as Amsteel is often prone to do.

Another: The J-Bend, which as the inventor here (Theguywitheyebrows) says on youtube that he cannot untie with amsteel to amsteel. But there is a useful trick I discovered as a kid for making knots easy to untie that are otherwise impossible, almost heat-welded together. I've mentioned it before here. The trick is to insert a small piece of a smooth bamboo chopstick, oval and a little thinner than a pencil, into the knot before loading it. Just like a stick marlinspike. It slides out easily, hence giving you an opening, room to play with and untie the knot. And the dull hard smooth end of the chopstick is a great tool for untying 1/8 amsteel knots anyway.

Let me know if either of these help.

Traditional bamboo chopsticks are cheap on ebay.

Hammock
    DWG + SLD Voyager
    Tarp
    WBEdge+SLD WindH
    Insulation
    SLD IUQP
    Suspension
    DWG + WBFisHooks
    I use a micro-carabiner that you can get from any cottage vendor as a slip-stop-lock. I attach the micro-carabiner to the end of the suspension line so that it's always there with the suspension. Then when I tie my becket hitch I clip the micro-carabiner to the knot and pull it tight to take up slack before I get in the hammock. After the hanging it will be pulled tight so you just have to wiggle the micro-carabiner a little and then you can unclip and pull through. I've also used this with Dutchwares 2.8 Reflect it rope no problem in addition to amsteel.

mini-biner-becket-lock.jpg
    Last edited by Papatechie; 11-07-2018 at 10:55.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Papatechie View Post
    I use a micro-carabiner that you can get from any cottage vendor as a slip-stop-lock. I attach the micro-carabiner to the end of the suspension line so that it's always there with the suspesnion. Then when I tie my becket hitch I clip the micro-carabiner to the knot and pull it tight to take up slack before I get in. After the hanging it is pulled tight so you just have to wiggle the micro-carabiner a little and then you can unclip and pull through. I've also used this with Dutchwares 2.8 Reflect it rope no problem in addition to amsteel.

mini-biner-becket-lock.jpg
    +1

Images
    This would be the equivalent of a "double" sheetbend I believe...It is a bit more difficult to tie than a normal beckett...another option is to simply take a second bight of slack and stick it through the first bight. I feel that is slightly easier than the double wrap.

Hammock
    DIY 12' MTN 1.3 netless
    Suspension
    Turtle Ties
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    This would be the equivalent of a "double" sheetbend I believe...It is a bit more difficult to tie than a normal beckett...another option is to simply take a second bight of slack and stick it through the first bight. I feel that is slightly easier than the double wrap.
    Not quite. A double sheet bend involves feeding the whole length of the tag end through the space created between the "sheet" and working rope. This version doesn't bother threading the needle, so to speak, and just does an extra turn around the continuous loop.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    Inventor of Turtle Ties
    Founder of Fugal Innovations, LLC
    fugal-innovations.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123