Hammock
    HG Circadian
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream
    Insulation
    HGs (stacked!)
    Suspension
    strap/biner/knot
    Interesting, one thing I wondered about was the view from a bridge style hammock. Shug's video suggests the views are pretty good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH6VOFvuXDQ

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by jamie shard View Post
    I'm looking to go on a week+ long trip in the boundary waters this September and I'm reviewing my gear, my hammock, and one forum post leads to another and one cottage company product leads to another... I'm realizing I don't know anything about the last 7 years of products

Right now I have a stock Hennessy Explorer Ultralight, some old down sleeping bags that could become underquilts, and a 8x10 tarp which could also be used on the diagonal... but sometimes chasing after a cheap solution is the most expensive way to go.

Plus, I've always felt like my HH was too short for me. Too much calf cramp and feeling like I'm sleeping sitting up.

So I'm curious what folks would advise for a 6' tall, 190 lb mid-forties, cold-sleeping camper that will be heading to the boundary waters in September where the temps will be 40 night 70 day on average, but probably both colder and warmer knowing my luck

I'm looking for advice on a hammock with unzip-able bug netting, a tarp for the worst conditions, and an underquilt for the coldest conditions. With my sleeping bags, I think I'm okay for top quilts.

Either these questions are annoying... or hopefully a fun thought experiment??? You be the judge.

Thanks in advance for your experiences and suggestions!!

-jamie
    Had the same conditions for our spring Quetico trip. 20° full length underquilt is what you want. 11' gathered end hammock in one of the wider materials (1.7 oz fabric or more) and a SilPoly winter tarp... Superfly is pretty tough to beat at their price, but UGQ winter dream or SLD winter haven are winners as well as are others, I'm sure. I do recommend one with doors though in the BW.

The view from a ridgerunner is excellent... IMO that's all it has going for it. I prefer a gathered end myself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Interesting, one thing I wondered about was the view from a bridge style hammock. Shug's video suggests the views are pretty good!
    The views are excellent, the under quilts do not move by design so there's no fussing with them, and they have as close to a flat lay as you can get and you do not have to fight to stay in an angle to get the flat lay like you do in a gathered end. Can you tell I like my Ridgerunner

Hammock
    LSOH Warrior 11' Digi Woodland 1.9
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber Hex
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikker View Post
    if I'm buying from new, this is what I'd go with (and I'm super biased, but it's good stuff)

11 foot Warrior Hammock

and the matching tarp

James also makes really nice quilts

The Toaster

he just made a really sweet looking fallen leaves pattern one too

Attachment 152397
    I'm going to second the 11' Warrior hammock. I have one and it's excellent. I have no plans to replace it and it has replaced my Hennessy Expedition Asym Zip and my Dutchware 11' Netless.

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex 70D
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit/LLG CP
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    Dream Hammock Raven in my opinion one of the best hammocks out there for the money. Symmetrical lay either left or right, integrated bug net that can be removed or stored along ridgeline when not needed and optional top cover for colder weather.

Another good Hammock option would be Simply Light Designs Tail Lair. Also a symmetrical lay Hammock with integrated net, however it is not removable but is retractable and can be unzipped and stored in a bag at one end of the hammock.

Hammock Gear Economy Incubator 20 Degree

UGQ Outdoor Equipment Winter Dream 12 currently on sale at up to 25% off.
    Last edited by Kevtron; 07-13-2017 at 22:37.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I would go for

- a Warbonnet Blackbird XLC 1.7 SL with net only
    - a Warbonnet 3-Season Wooki +1oz overstuff
    - a Warbonnet Thunderfly tarp

As you can tell, I'm a Warbonnet fan. Over the years I have tried lots of other hammocks and underquilts, but none worked as well for me as my WB set-up.

Hammock
    HG Circadian
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream
    Insulation
    HGs (stacked!)
    Suspension
    strap/biner/knot
    Okay I'm getting closer -- and it's my quirk, but I like my gear in gray, so that's driving some of the decisions... plus I'm slightly a gram weenie, a little less so for hammocking, so the bridge style might be too much for me... So, maybe probably almost definitely:

UQG Winter Dream 12 (unless going to 11 is recommended for a 11' ridgeline hammock? I do like to minimize weight and I do like to have the tarp close to the hammock during stormy weather.) In charcoal gray.

UQG Zeppelin 20 or HG Incubator Econ 20. In charcoal gray.

Now for the hammock... I like the simplicity of the Dream Hammock Raven (symmetrical lay, detachable bug net, no extras). I really like the idea of a symmetrical lay and I'm thinking I'll really like a wide and 11' gathered end hammock over the 10' HH Explorer that I have -- I think that will get me the comfort I'm looking for. HOWEVER, I don't think I could buy a hammock that didn't have the bug net completely zipped or sewn to the body. I've known way way way way too many clever mosquitoes in my life.

So suggestions for a 11' long, wide body, simple design with completely attached but unzippable net?

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Okay I'm getting closer -- and it's my quirk, but I like my gear in gray, so that's driving some of the decisions... plus I'm slightly a gram weenie, a little less so for hammocking, so the bridge style might be too much for me... So, maybe probably almost definitely:

UQG Winter Dream 12 (unless going to 11 is recommended for a 11' ridgeline hammock? I do like to minimize weight and I do like to have the tarp close to the hammock during stormy weather.) In charcoal gray.

UQG Zeppelin 20 or HG Incubator Econ 20. In charcoal gray.

Now for the hammock... I like the simplicity of the Dream Hammock Raven (symmetrical lay, detachable bug net, no extras). I really like the idea of a symmetrical lay and I'm thinking I'll really like a wide and 11' gathered end hammock over the 10' HH Explorer that I have -- I think that will get me the comfort I'm looking for. HOWEVER, I don't think I could buy a hammock that didn't have the bug net completely zipped or sewn to the body. I've known way way way way too many clever mosquitoes in my life.

So suggestions for a 11' long, wide body, simple design with completely attached but unzippable net?
    Simply Light Designs Trail Lair

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Dream Hammock Darien. An integrated hammock doesn't get simpler.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    You did not say if you are car camping or canoeing or backpacking.

If you are car camping or canoeing then weight is not an issue. If you are backpacking then weight is.

I would recommend a BlackBird 1.1 DL ( rated to 275 lbs and the DL will help keep skeeters from biting thru it ).

A Superfly tarp will give you plenty of coverage

Any 20 degree 3/4 length UQ from one of the many cottage vendors. Go ahead a get a couple of ounces of overstuff.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast