Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    I am approx. 200lbs and i haven’t had any problems with 1.0oz yet. However its at my comfort limit because I like my hammocks a bit more firm but it will do. IMO you can trust fabrics from RSBTR. I am currently waiting for a shipment of the new 1.2 oz ROBIC. It should be a bit more firm and robust but have in mind nothing last forever.

Unless you camp in a very hot area bugs will not be a problem if you use a pad or an UQ. Your skin has to be up against the fabric otherwise the bugs won’t have a chance to bite you.

As for more heat in a DL hammock the difference is marginal IMO. Been there done that. You will double the weight for almost nothing. You are better off by investing in or DIY a tarp with doors to stop the draft if it’s a problem. The hammock is not suppose to add more heat by itself it’s the job for your sleeping bag/TQ and the UQ. Draft can remove heat from your sleeping system. If at all possible I always hang my hammock so the wind is coming from the side. If hanging parallel to the wind direction the tarp will act like a tunnel and remove the heat from your system. Another way to minimize the draft problem is to use a UQP but given the choice I would select a tarp with doors because it's more versatile.

The first time I made a hammock from 1.0 ROBIC I got a surprise. It was not so hard to control as I expected but naturally thicker materials is easier to handle. Take your time and use a lot of pins. DIY is a learning process and its fun.

BTW I have made hammocks from almost everything RSBTR offers except polyester. All types has its benefits it depends what you are looking for. Hyper D is by far the most skin friendly (read soft). 1.0 Hyper D was too stretchy for me but I have made several in 1.6 Hyper D and it was my favorite but the newer fabrics are pushing for different reasons.
    Last edited by Snowball; 07-18-2017 at 05:20.
    If there is nothing left to learn it’s time to die.
    Live and learn.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12