Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images

Cool Finally satisfied to My winter rig

At this point there is almost no other original items left any other than the hammock and tarp.

First the whole rig between lamp post and tree.

Next The Hammock Knot, the new rope is 11 mm, 8 mm would have been better, but I did not find any from local shop. Original rope was 5 mm and too narrow for Tiblocs.

At the process I also changed the inner ridgeline. The white line seen in these images is simple 3 mm polyester rope from fishing shop. It is easy to tie and easy to see in dark, the original black lines were not very good ones. This pic is from early tests, and the white rope does not attach to the hammock ropes anymore. A also do not use snake skins anymore, there is no need for them in the winter time.

Here is close shot from tarps ridge line, there is the hitch knot that makes it possible to adjust tarps ridge line tension if needed. Also the Prussic knot where the tarp is fastened with original plastic hooks is seen. And of course the Tibloc device.

Bigger picture from the hitch knot (I found it from internet, it has got name, but I do not remember it anymore). I use it for side lines and tarp side lines and tarp ridge lines other end. It seems to work well. Easy to tie and easy to untie. The other end of the tarp ridge line has a mini carabiner.

Under the tarp image. There is the hammock with two sleeping bags, one Thermarest deluxe pad, two underpads, two undercovers and one overcover. They have been hanging there over three months now.

Tarp line going under tarp.

I did not like those elastic cords. They are always on my way when moving around hammock. But because they are necessary to keep those underpads and covers in their place I had an idea. I just tied them together. Hope it works.

Nowadays I tie first the tarp line with mini carabiner and then with "hitch knot" to the other tree (lamp post in this case). After that tarp over the tarp ridge line fastened with adjustable Prusik knots and stock Hennessy plastic tarp hooks. (not my idea, learned the system from Hammock forums). After that those tarps side lines. And only after the tarp is ready I put up the hammock.

There are more phases in this system and more work, but lot less hassle. And in the end it is much easier the get the whole system up properly than in the original Hennessy way.

I also bought 150 cm long webbing loop, original Hennessy ones were too short for bigger trees.

View between tree branches from the other side.

Now I can go on with the usability tests in real environment. When the weather gets little warmer I will do some one night trips with this set up. We have temperatures here now between -20 - -25 Celsius (-4 - -13 F)

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Full UQ/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Liking this!

I REALLY like the new suspension set-up. I agree that the 11mm cord may be a bit much, but that (steel?) carabiner-type thing is very interesting. Where did you find that?
    "The green earth, say you? That is itself a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day." -Aragorn, 'The Two Towers' by J.R.R. Tolkien

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End 1.1 Single Layer
    Tarp
    BWD WinterDream
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ & Syn TQ
    Suspension
    2mm Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Petzl Tibloc Ascenders - http://www.rei.com/product/644068

Hammock
    my 11' ers
    Tarp
    many of my tarps
    Insulation
    yeti, Incubators
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    Very Very nice,, looks snug and a bug...

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Full UQ/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thomas533 View Post
    Petzl Tibloc Ascenders - http://www.rei.com/product/644068
    Thanks! Those just look cool.
    "The green earth, say you? That is itself a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day." -Aragorn, 'The Two Towers' by J.R.R. Tolkien

Hammock
    HH Expedition A-Sym (Zipper Mod)
    Tarp
    HH Poly. Hex
    Insulation
    HH SuperShelter
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    Images
    how do you get in, normal bottom entry or do you have a zipper mod?
    "This is what i love about backpacking... Just clean your stuff by licking it." - Shug

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    Thanks for sharing the photos of your setup! It's always great to see what other folks are using!

Hammock
    SwithcBack
    Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images

Normal bottom entry

It is easy to go in. I open the three slits and stand there while I organize pad and bags. After that I just sit down and organize little more, at this point it needs bit of exercise to get everything in place, but at least it warms Me up before going sleep. There is so much stuff in that it is bit crowded there first, but it works after everything is sorted out.

Hammock
    SwithcBack
    Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images

Smile One last modification

I realized that now when I'm not using hammock ropes for tarp fastening point I can inverse the Tibloc adjustments similarly to Warbonnet adjustable webbing. And because the rope is so thick there is no need for those tree straps anymore - I think 11 mm rope is gentle enough.

I will use the original rope at the hammock end to make loop for carabiner and Tibloc device. Then I need two more carabiners for tree ends, I just use figure of eight knots with the 11 mm rope in those ends.

Benefits are:
    1. There is no need to break down the Tibloc + Carabiner + rope system anymore when taking down the hammock - nice thing when the weather is very cold (metal parts).
    2. There is no need to fiddle around webbing loop, Tibloc and carabiner when reaching up between tree branches - I just click one carabiner around hammock rope and thats it.
    3. There is no need for webbing loops - less is more.
    4. I can adjust hammock tension under the tarp.

Negatives:
    Two more carabiners to carry.

I will do changes tomorrow, I must buy two more carabiners before I can go forward.

Oh tell me My friends when will this modding end...

Ten minutes later....

Aah! And if I cut the tarp ridge line half and make loops at those ends and make Prussic knots around each other I can adjust tarp tension under tarp and I can put mini carabiner at both ends of the tarp ridge line for easy attachment to the trees.

Modding will end... never ever!
    Last edited by voivalin; 01-28-2010 at 02:12.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB Mt.Washington4
    Suspension
    Whoopie/UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by voivalin View Post
    Bigger picture from the hitch knot (I found it from internet, it has got name, but I do not remember it anymore).
    It would be a Blake's hitch, but the end was passed under the first wrap instead of the second. Maybe that gives it another name, but I don't know.

Oh, Hogn8r...... We need your expertise.
    ~Bryan

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast