Chameleon
    Tarp
    Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    Working on it
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Odeur de chat

I purchased a WBBB XLC from a member here but I wasn't smart enough to put two and two together to come up with C-A-T. I don't blame him, he even posted a picture of the hammock WITH a cat so I should have been smart enough to know that ME and CAT spell D-I-S-A-S-T-E-R because I am deathly allergic to those evil creatures. Short story even longer, hammock came yesterday, in my haste to use it I put it up and promptly lay in it, BIG mistake on my part. Luckily I didn't sleep in it but it WAS in my office while I slept in the Chameleon. Needless to say but I will say it needlessly, my face was ballooned up and I had a slight issue of blood from one eye this morning, had I slept in it it probably would have been worse.

A quick search for "Hammock Washing" gave me several results but had I posted this in those I would have been branded a "Thread Hijacker" an ah dun lak grravee.

THE QUESTION: after that diatribe, would you recommend hand washing with NixWax? I use it with all of my riding gear and I figure it would be good for the hammock as well.

Initial impressions of the hammock aside from the issue of blood, my son and I like it, for what that is worth...

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    JRBNest, LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    I bought a hammock off HF that was supposedly odor free or in his own words, "no funky odors". When I received it, it was totally mildewed out. My daughter would not even sit in it.

Anyway, I tried all different methods to get the mildew smell out until I tried one final solution - white vinegar.

I put the hammock in hot water in a bath tub with about half a bottle of vinegar and let it soak overnight.

The next day, the smell was gone. I bet it will work for your hammock. It is the cat dandruff that you are allergic to. The white vinegar should get it out.

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    FWIW,soaking my WBBB in a solution of water and permethrin did not hurt it.Why not contact Brandon at WarBonnet and ask him to make a recommendation?

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    For hammocks in general, we put ours in a pillow case and toss into the side load washer. If further fumigation is needed, we hand wash with mirazyme.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair 1.1 Dual Layer
    Tarp
    3F UL Gear
    Insulation
    Gemini System
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I wash my SLD Trail Lair in a very large garment bag with Atsko Sport Wash or Nikwax Tech Wash. That stuff cleans great, and eliminates smells. It should take care of the cat problem.
    https://www.amazon.com/Atsko-Sno-Sea.../dp/B00CQJE0BS

Hammock
    LSOH Warrior Edge
    Tarp
    OES MacCat
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I agree with the white vinegar bath above. That should hopefully do the trick.

Thankfully the only smell anything I bought off here smelled like is a campfire.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    Working on it
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by cneill13 View Post
    I bought a hammock off HF that was supposedly odor free or in his own words, "no funky odors". When I received it, it was totally mildewed out. My daughter would not even sit in it.

Anyway, I tried all different methods to get the mildew smell out until I tried one final solution - white vinegar.

I put the hammock in hot water in a bath tub with about half a bottle of vinegar and let it soak overnight.

The next day, the smell was gone. I bet it will work for your hammock. It is the cat dandruff that you are allergic to. The white vinegar should get it out.
    I use white vinegar all the time to remove rust from old tools when I restore them so I think I might have some around here somewhere, I'll give it a shot and see. We have no idea what it is that causes my reaction but it is a great excuse not to go to my inlaws.

Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    FWIW,soaking my WBBB in a solution of water and permethrin did not hurt it.Why not contact Brandon at WarBonnet and ask him to make a recommendation?
    I plan on soaking all of our hammock gear in permethrin before we go out for a serious hang in the piny woods. I'll check with Brandon and see what he says, thanks for that suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by sqidmark View Post
    For hammocks in general, we put ours in a pillow case and toss into the side load washer. If further fumigation is needed, we hand wash with mirazyme.
    We got rid of our FL years ago because we had nothing but problems from it so all we have is a TL. I'm gonna have to check out that MiraZyme.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    Working on it
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Perpatater View Post
    I wash my SLD Trail Lair in a very large garment bag with Atsko Sport Wash or Nikwax Tech Wash. That stuff cleans great, and eliminates smells. It should take care of the cat problem.
    https://www.amazon.com/Atsko-Sno-Sea.../dp/B00CQJE0BS
    I have plenty of NikWax Tech Wash because I use it for all of my riding gear but I think I am going to try the low tech vinegar wash first.
    Quote Originally Posted by bradym77 View Post
    I agree with the white vinegar bath above. That should hopefully do the trick.

Thankfully the only smell anything I bought off here smelled like is a campfire.
    The pleasant wafting of campfire smoke was the first thing that caught my attention so I didn't immediately think "CAT".

Hammock
    11' 5 O'Clock Shadow
    Tarp
    Indoors
    Insulation
    DIY down throw UQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckle,straps
    About once a week I toss my hammock into a delicates bag, and wash it on the gentle cycle in my TL, agitator washer. I'm sure I'm shortening its life span, but it's survived for over a year now.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    Working on it
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by akaCat View Post
    About once a week I toss my hammock into a delicates bag, and wash it on the gentle cycle in my TL, agitator washer. I'm sure I'm shortening its life span, but it's survived for over a year now.
    Do you leave the whipping and CL in place?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast