So I guess I need to say hello...

So, um, Hello.

I've been lurking here for a while (even after I got my account). Mostly, I'm just learning, because I know nothing.

A little bit about me:
    I've been backpacking for about 20 years (I'm in my 30's), and I average about 1-2 trips per month. My favorite time to camp is late fall, early winter, but I go all year.
    I am NOT an ultra-lighter. Instead I value gear that is 1) easy to setup/pack-up, and 2) small in my pack.

When planning a recent backpacking adventure, it became obvious that our group (15 people) was NOT going to fit in tents anywhere along the trail. So, I researched hammocks. I stumbled across Shug's videos, and after watching a couple (or 20), I decided to give it a try. (His videos are also what pointed me to this place.)

In May, I bought a WBBB XLC, and since that tapped out my camping funds for that month, I cheaped out and bought a Chill Gorilla 12-foot Hex tarp. I absolutely love the WBBB. The tarp needed some dutch bling (CRL) to be viable, but it's starting to grow on me. I've had this setup out on multiple backpacking trips now, and it's pretty good. Just a few days ago, I ordered some Tarp Worms, to make tarp setup less fiddly.

I've tried the whole camping pad in a hammock thing (mid-size square Therm-A-Rest Neo Air 2), and it is completely awful. So, I'm looking at UQ options...I'll probably end up with a Wooki, but I'm not sure which one, yet.

So...I guess that's the long-winded way of saying 'Hello'.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Welcome Cypheros to Hammock Forums. Congrats on the new equipment and enjoy getting above ground and sleeping comfortably.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair/WB XLC
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    HG, WB and WL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Welcome aboard! I've got an XLC and the winter Wookie under quilt. Love them both. I think you'll find that people will suggest you get an under quilt & top quilt rated for the temps you'll do most of your hiking/camping in. I'll eventually get a 3 season Wookie, but it's not in the budget for now so during warmer months I use my Arrowhead Equipment Jarbridge 3/4 under quilt. I've often thought about trying the winter Wookie during warmer temps, like the low 50's to 30's, and just use a blanket or something light on top. I need to experiment at home I reckon'.

Anyway, yeah, welcome!
    -Jameson
    Proud Member of the North Country Trail Association-Hiawatha Shore to Shore Chapter
    http://www.northcountrytrail.org/

Hammock
    LSOH Warrior Edge
    Tarp
    OES MacCat
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Welcome! I've done the sleeping pad thing and now have several underquilts. I'll never go back to a pad.

The Wookie will be great for zero "fiddle-factor" as it's a set it and forget it UQ. If price is a consideration the Economy line from Hammock Gear would be second on my list.

Hammock
    WB BBXLC, DH, DIY, GT Hybrid
    Tarp
    Etowah Outfitters
    Insulation
    HG TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Welcome from SW Missouri. When I got on I knew nothing either. I read a lot and watch a lot of the videos and learned a bunch. But nothing takes the place of just doing it and learning as you go. It is a fun hobby and these are great folks here to teach us newcomers.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I tried the pad thing too and quickly found a UQ to be a better setup for me. Your mileage may vary so keep an open mind both ways until you decide what is best for you.

• + New Posts