WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images

Hammock spots at Letchworth State Park???

I'm planning on going to Letchworth State Park at some point soon as I've never been there and the reviews are great. As I've never been there before I don't know how hammock friendly the camp sites are. I know sometimes State Parks are more geared for RV's and tents. So does anyone know any specific sites that are good for the hammock? Any info appreciated.
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Quote Originally Posted by LuvmyBonnet View Post
    I'm planning on going to Letchworth State Park at some point soon as I've never been there and the reviews are great. As I've never been there before I don't know how hammock friendly the camp sites are. I know sometimes State Parks are more geared for RV's and tents. So does anyone know any specific sites that are good for the hammock? Any info appreciated.
    Hi Luvmybonnet! I camp in a cabin every year at Letchworth in late fall. When I called the park ranger, I was told no hammock camping was allowed because of all the deer and 'safety reasons.' This was 2 years ago, though.

There are lots of spots outside the rv/tent/cabin areas though where they would never find you if you did do it.

Good luck! It's a beautiful park!

Broadwater

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Yes
    Tarp
    greenish grey
    Insulation
    greyish green
    Suspension
    Trees, duh.
    Images
    Letchworth is a beautiful park, and for car campers it has a great campground, but not especially hammock friendly. The park has limited backcountry camping which might be more hammockable. The Letchworth Trail (http://www.cnyhiking.com/LetchworthTrail.htm) is a spur of the cross-state Finger Lakes Trail that runs up the east side of the gorge. Camping is permitted (by reservation only) at 2 leantos. The shelters are small, but hammocking trees are abundant.
    Genesis 16:12

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    The "wild side" of Letchworth, the part where the Letchworth trail runs, is where all of the good hammocking is. However, they won't let you hammock. You need to call the park office to reserve the shelter, and the workers will ask for your name, your itinerary, your license plate, and the names of everyone in your party, and all of their plate information and whatnot too. You MUST stay in the shelter. Not my style. Now, I have stealth camped in the park a couple of times and hung my hammock, but if you get caught you'll get ticketed. Just a fair warning. NYS Parks aren't hammock friendly in my experiences.
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

• + New Posts