Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images

Trip Report FL>Hidden Pond, ONF>July 21-23, 2017>5th annual "No Underquilt Hang"

Hope to hear back on some good pointers for Summer Hanging. And pictures, don't forget the pics.
    Last edited by Floridahanger; 07-21-2017 at 09:07.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    sld tree runner dl
    Tarp
    sld trail haven
    Insulation
    Diy reflectics
    Suspension
    Woopie
    IMG_0646.jpg
    Thanks a lot Oz had to get on on the way home.

Hammock
    Walahalla Monolite 1.5
    Tarp
    Dynemma Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopies slings
    Images
    20170721_102159.jpg20170721_102231.jpg20170721_102235.jpg20170721_102357.jpg20170721_102411.jpg20170721_123450.jpg20170721_123455.jpg20170722_090206.jpg20170722_090212.jpg20170722_090215.jpg20170722_090220.jpg20170722_101751.jpg20170722_101807.jpg20170722_101853.jpg20170722_101903.jpg

Don't know why some of them are sideways but it was great meeting some fellow hangers.

Hanging without an underquilt is very possible in Florida. Even though I didn't anticipate any rain, I pre-hung my tarp anyway and just kept one side folded over, I'm glad I did, it rained like crazy Saturday afternoon.
    Last edited by Randonneur; 07-23-2017 at 16:52.

Hammock
    Walahalla Monolite 1.5
    Tarp
    Dynemma Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopies slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark8408 View Post
    IMG_0646.jpg
    Thanks a lot Oz had to get on on the way home.
    Ketchup on hot dogs is a felony is some states.

Quote Originally Posted by Randonneur View Post
    Ketchup on hot dogs is a felony is some states.
    There's mustard on it too so I'll give it a pass.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Great pictures! Keep them coming!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images
    Thanks for the pics. I'm "homesick"!!
    WOW!!! the water in the pond is really low. I guess it really does take a hurricane to fill things up.
    grinder

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    It was a very nice getaway for a weekend that was supposed to be hot.

Florida Piney Woods still continues to be very impressive to me. It was a very hot ~2.5 mile hike to the pond starting at 12:58pm. Half way there I was feeling the heat and slowed down a bit due to long stretches of no overhead cover and little breeze if any. With that was the soft sand that had already dried with the afternoon sun even though it's raining every day. I finished strong on the downhill into the pond and walked into the site at 1:43pm.

Cooloz was napping to my left overlooking the pond so I tried to be quiet. As I was passing the firering, Randonneur was napping in his rig to the left. Seems it was a perfect time for a nap and the breeze sure felt great blowing thru the common area.

I continued thru to my favorite spot since there were no other hangers here yet. I thought I was surely going to be late and looking for trees in the second clearing. Since there was an approaching storm, I decided to set up the tarp at my spot before relaxing and cooling off. I was feeling the heat exhaustion taking over and was just wanting to sit and make lunch before setting up but that storm looked like it was coming quickly.

With the cloud cover and cooling storm winds blowing, It didn't take long before I was feeling better and went to meet the other hangers. The storm just missed us but the weather felt better the rest of the day.

Still feeling effects from the heat exhaustion and headache, I left just the tarp up and backpack under it and went to the common area. Meeting up with the other 2 was next in line. Seems like I woke them up when I first walked into camp. After chatting for a while Mark8408 and Double Tap arrived followed by birdiesgirl.

After setting up my hammock and the cool breeze from nearby storms, I decided not to set up the bugnet. Florida Summer and no bugnet? Yep. Done it several times before and wanted to try again. Success. Breezy from the foot end and a low temp of 69F kept the buzzing down and no bites. The breeze made it cool on the shoulders, but didn't need a UQ because I had the TQ tucked under my shoulders. Good sleep and woke at 6am to the site of a distant thunderhead glowing with lightning on the horizon.

Saturday morning was cool and breezy enough for sleeves or a light jacket/vest (Florida Standards) and called for a small fire. It was just right to boil a few cups of water for coffee and brown sugar oatmeal/butter grits mix for breakfast and wait for the others to wake. A beautiful Florida morning in the piney woods. Late morning was finished off with richtorfla and son arriving just before the heat of the day kicked into high gear.

Midday was the time to go explore the area and start looking for firewood as the afternoon storms approached. Those storms came rapidly and my rig was in fair weather mode. The skies opened up as I put my tarp in storm mode and gathered everything tight under it.

The rain lasted quite a while. With everything soaked and the rain slowing, It was time to start a fire to help dry the wood. Using Pine sap, I got the kindling going to dry the pencil sized wood and so on until the logs were burning. Nice fire for that fireside chat.

Sunday was breakdown and hike out the Hidden Pond Short just barely beating the late morning rain. We planned on going to the Sinkhole but the weather didn't cooperate. We dropped off Mark and Mike at Juniper Springs as the storm hit with all it's fury.

All in all, it was a great weekend with hot/cold, sun/cloudy, dry heat/rain. Pretty much a Florida Summer with not to many bugs in the woods. Can't wait to repeat it in September for the Summer's Last Gasp Hang.

I'll need to bring my camera next time.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    12' Dutchware Gathered
    Tarp
    12' Dutch's Bonded
    Insulation
    W Logics UQ 40F
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Nice report Floridahanger! Sorry for the last minute cancellation, I should make the September hang.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Sounds like it was cooler at the pond than Juniper Springs. The ticks were out in force and the dense trees blocked almost all the breeze so it was "steamy" both Friday and Saturday night. The bloodsuckers were out in force too so there was no way I was going net-less.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast